2024 FE left wheel squealing in specific situations

heywolfie1015

📛 Founding Member
Jun 19, 2024
Los Angeles, CA
Vehicles
2024 LC FE
Proud owner of a Meteor Shower 2024 FE for a few months now. Absolutely love it. However, I’ve started hearing a squeal from my left wheel in the mornings when I reverse out of my garage and turn the wheel right. It happens as I brake while reversing, and seems to only happen before the car warms up. Already took it to the dealership and they greased the back of the brake pads, but the noise came back the very next day.

Just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar? I suspect Toyota will figure it out, but these cars as are so new that it may take a while.

Hello in my birth city! (1941). Only in reverse, and only when the LC is cold. For sure that may take the dealership a bit of time to figure out. If it were me, I would pressure them to replace the pads.

When you back out are you lightly pressing on the brake pedal? if so, you could be pressing the brake so lightly that the pad is just kissing the disk. I've noticed something similar with mine recently, I think the hybrid system is partly to blame since it doesn't like to creep as much as a normal gas car would so when you take your foot off the gas and put it on the brake you dont need much force on the brake to slow or stop the car, resulting in the squealing.

To answer the questions so far, it’s definitely not the hybrid motor. That is a soft, high-pitched noise. This is a noticeable squeal coming out of the left wheel well.

As for brake pressure, it happens when I apply more pressure than less, and usually only from a cold start, and only when I have the wheel turned all the way to the right.

I suspect it has something g to do with those three factors: cold start, wheel turned to the right, in reverse. Probably some way the pad engages with the disc. Guess we’ll see. I just dropped it off at the dealership again this morning.

Did you guys check the PSI of your tires? They've been coming in overinflated from the dealership and that could be the cause. I believe the PSI is supposed to be around 33.

Have you tried properly bedding the brakes yet? Might be worth a try:

• Find an open stretch of road
    Pick a remote area with a speed limit of at least 35 mph where you can safely stop your vehicle multiple times.
  • Accelerate and decelerate
    Gradually increase your speed to 30 to 35 mph, then apply moderate brake pressure to slow down to under 5 mph. Repeat this process 2 to 3 times.
  • Make hard stops
    Next, increase your speed to 50 mph and strongly brake down to 5 mph. Repeat this process 4 to 5 times.
  • Drive lightly
    After your hard stops, drive an additional 1 to 2 miles while lightly braking to cool down the brakes.
  • Park and cool
    When you're done, park your vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Don't engage the parking brake until the brakes have cooled.

I'm also curious which wheel the electronic parking brake is applied to. If it's the front left one, that would lead me to investigate that as a possible culprit.

Hello in my birth city! (1941). Only in reverse, and only when the LC is cold. For sure that may take the dealership a bit of time to figure out. If it were me, I would pressure them to replace the pads.
Proud owner of a Meteor Shower 2024 FE for a few months now. Absolutely love it. However, I’ve started hearing a squeal from my left wheel in the mornings when I reverse out of my garage and turn the wheel right. It happens as I brake while reversing, and seems to only happen before the car warms up. Already took it to the dealership and they greased the back of the brake pads, but the noise came back the very next day.

Just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar? I suspect Toyota will figure it out, but these cars as are so new that it may take a while.
I have the same issue. I have only noticed it when backing up and turning the wheel sharp to the right. Sounds like a high pitched metal grinding noise. I haven’t taken it to get checked out yet. I’ll continue to follow this thread and hope a fix is found.

I have the same issue. I have only noticed it when backing up and turning the wheel sharp to the right. Sounds like a high pitched metal grinding noise. I haven’t taken it to get checked out yet. I’ll continue to follow this thread and hope a fix is found.
This describes my issue exactly. The noise itself is what worried me, so I'll report back in if the dealership figures it out.

Have you tried properly bedding the brakes yet? Might be worth a try:
X2 on bedding in the brakes...... manual tells you to avoid making sudden stops for the first 200 miles. Not a good idea to press the accelerator and the brake at the same time........... could make the hybrid system puke.

I normally get up to about 20-30 mph and lightly apply the brakes, my goal is to stop in about 50 yards. I repeat 5-6 times, then 20-30 mph and apply the brakes as I normally would when coming to a stop sign do that 5-6 times. Then I drive in reverse to what I consider a slow to medium-slow speed (faster than backing out of a drive way) and brake normally repeat 3-4 times.

That's my procedure I did with the LC...... no squeals for me........

X2 on bedding in the brakes...... manual tells you to avoid making sudden stops for the first 200 miles. Not a good idea to press the accelerator and the brake at the same time........... could make the hybrid system puke.

I normally get up to about 20-30 mph and lightly apply the brakes, my goal is to stop in about 50 yards. I repeat 5-6 times, then 20-30 mph and apply the brakes as I normally would when coming to a stop sign do that 5-6 times. Then I drive in reverse to what I consider a slow to medium-slow speed (faster than backing out of a drive way) and brake normally repeat 3-4 times.

That's my procedure I did with the LC...... no squeals for me........
If geography allows, going down a long steep hill at a moderate brake rate also works well.

I heard a little squeal one time while cold and backing up. Have not heard since. Never does it after it warms up. My previous 23 Tundra started doing the squeak thing while only cold and only backing up. not every time but occasionally. What's the common denominator here?

Yep, exact same thing is happening to me. Slow back out, hard turn on the wheel, and front break/s squeal like a low pad alarm. Thought I just need to wear the pads down a bit…but still happening 3k miles in. Added to my “dealer punch list” for my next visit.

Did you guys check the PSI of your tires? They've been coming in overinflated from the dealership and that could be the cause. I believe the PSI is supposed to be around 33.
I just noticed mine were at 44 PSI with the spare at 50 PSI according to the TPMS and I have the same squeal from the left front as OP. Doesnt meant theyre related though.

Update for anyone interested in the thread. I took it to the dealership and they confirmed the noise, then said that absolutely should not be happening and are replacing the brake pads. They speculated that the pads might be a touch off and therefore make noise when the brake is not fully engaged and it’s off a cold start. We’ll see if that does the trick. The pads come in Tuesday and I’ll get them replaced then.

Update for anyone interested in the thread. I took it to the dealership and they confirmed the noise, then said that absolutely should not be happening and are replacing the brake pads. They speculated that the pads might be a touch off and therefore make noise when the brake is not fully engaged and it’s off a cold start. We’ll see if that does the trick. The pads come in Tuesday and I’ll get them replaced then.
Did replacing the pads fix the problem?

Back