👋 Welcome to the new Land Cruiser Forum - Please post an introduction thread!

I had to look up what high test meant, never heard that term.

There's a thread on it here: 2024 Land Cruiser require Premium Fuel?
High test is probably considered an "old school" term nowadays. I remember when Amoco sold premium and was conidered white gas and could be used in Coleman stoves and lanterns without contaminating (clogging) them. That's old school for sure.

High test is probably considered an "old school" term nowadays. I remember when Amoco sold premium and was conidered white gas and could be used in Coleman stoves and lanterns without contaminating (clogging) them. That's old school for sure.
I remember leaded and unleaded. I’m 45. That’s about as far back as I go though.

Reactions: MJE
I remember leaded and unleaded. I’m 45. That’s about as far back as I go though.
Same at 49. I remember when your car’s dash & stickers in the gas cap said ‘unleaded only’. I believe at one point leaded was called ethyl, though I think that term was gone by then. I also remember cars where you had to flip down the license plate to find the gas cap behind it. I’m not sure why they ever did it that way.

Same at 49. I remember when your car’s dash & stickers in the gas cap said ‘unleaded only’. I believe at one point leaded was called ethyl, though I think that term was gone by then. I also remember cars where you had to flip down the license plate to find the gas cap behind it. I’m not sure why they ever did it that way.
It was tetra ethyl lead. I worked for Ethyl Corp. back in the late 70's. I had a good friend that worked on knock engines in the lab at a small refinery in West Baton Rouge. He used to bring me small cans of TTE, a hypodermic needle, and a pair of gloves to add (carefully) to my premium two stroke premix to bump the octane up a bit. I never could tell the difference in performance. I'm in my 78th year. That was quite awhile ago. I had a 1970 Triumph TR6 that had a flip up gas cap right behind me in front of the trunk (boot). I think it ran on premium in those days.

Reactions: MJE
Hey all,
New to this site. Live in Austin, TX. Drive an old Chevy truck that’s coming up on 100K and was going to give it to my oldest son, who just turned 16, and replace it with a Land Cruiser. Alas, birthday came and went with no word, so got him a used 4Runner. Still no word a couple months later.

Been monitoring this site to see when/if anyone gets definite word one way or another, as even the dealers here don’t seem to know much. I did talk to north Austin Toyota where a helpful sales rep told me they wanted $15K over msrp for a 1958 they hadn’t been allocated yet. Won’t ever buy a thing from that dealer.

Anyway, have enjoyed reading the trickle of info people have here. I’m 6th on the list at a smaller dealership where I should get msrp, hoping for a meteor shower 1958, which I can get a small lift on to comfortably hold 285s. Don’t do any crazy off-roading at all really, just caliche and brush driving to retrieve dead deer and hogs that the boys shoot.

Hey all,
New to this site. Live in Austin, TX. Drive an old Chevy truck that’s coming up on 100K and was going to give it to my oldest son, who just turned 16, and replace it with a Land Cruiser. Alas, birthday came and went with no word, so got him a used 4Runner. Still no word a couple months later.

Been monitoring this site to see when/if anyone gets definite word one way or another, as even the dealers here don’t seem to know much. I did talk to north Austin Toyota where a helpful sales rep told me they wanted $15K over msrp for a 1958 they hadn’t been allocated yet. Won’t ever buy a thing from that dealer.

Anyway, have enjoyed reading the trickle of info people have here. I’m 6th on the list at a smaller dealership where I should get msrp, hoping for a meteor shower 1958, which I can get a small lift on to comfortably hold 285s. Don’t do any crazy off-roading at all really, just caliche and brush driving to retrieve dead deer and hogs that the boys shoot.
Welcome to the forum from Fredericksburg, TX! No allocations to dealers I've talked with out here yet, but we should be hearing something soon. 🤞

Hello from Jamaica.
The first batch of Land Cruiser 250 series has just arrived at the port in Jamaica. I will soon be able to view one in person.
I live in Jamaica and have been a 4Runner owner and enthusiast. Unfortunately the Toyota dealer in Jamaica stopped bringing in 4Runners and replaced the line with the Land Cruiser Prado a while back. Since then I have owned several generations of the Land Cruiser Prado and have been waiting patiently to purchase this new generation.

Welcome to the forum! I've had 3 4Runners and an FJ Cruiser over the years. I now have a 2021 4Runner TRD Pro but am considering the new LC or the next generation 4Runner. How did you get along with the Prado? What were your likes and dislikes compared to the 4Runner?

Last edited:
My last 4Runner was a 2005 which I recently sold. In comparison to my 2011 Prado, although both vehicles are approximately the same size the 4Runner felt more roomy. Apart from that, the ride quality was about the same and both very capable on the trails.

Hello from Jamaica.
The first batch of Land Cruiser 250 series has just arrived at the port in Jamaica. I will soon be able to view one in person.
I live in Jamaica and have been a 4Runner owner and enthusiast. Unfortunately the Toyota dealer in Jamaica stopped bringing in 4Runners and replaced the line with the Land Cruiser Prado a while back. Since then I have owned several generations of the Land Cruiser Prado and have been waiting patiently to purchase this new generation.
Very cool, welcome to the forum!

Back