Too early for dealer allocation swaps?

Primer

📛 Founding Member
Feb 22, 2024
NY
So I’m on the wait list at my local dealer with my specific wish list - Land Cruiser model in Windchill Pearl (I like the tiny square headlights, so sue me!😉)

They have been receiving their allocations, but nothing matching what I want. They offered to sell me a Trail Dust, I passed. Is it too early to expect them to go find one and swap with another dealer? Maybe not allowed yet? May also be important to note they know I won’t pay above MSRP, so maybe the incentive isn’t there?

Yeah, I think you nailed it. No incentive since they can sell every LC they get allocated, either to someone on their long list or an out-of-stater who's looking for that exact one. Right now, they're making hay while the sun shines... perhaps when the frenzy is over, they might be a little more willing to work with you.

So I’m on the wait list at my local dealer with my specific wish list - Land Cruiser model in Windchill Pearl (I like the tiny square headlights, so sue me!😉)

They have been receiving their allocations, but nothing matching what I want. They offered to sell me a Trail Dust, I passed. Is it too early to expect them to go find one and swap with another dealer? Maybe not allowed yet? May also be important to note they know I won’t pay above MSRP, so maybe the incentive isn’t there?
I’m also looking at Land Cruiser trim - I also love square headlights- and my dealer said we can always look around at a couple of close Toyota dealers to see if they want to swap - meaning if u want white and down the road someone wants trail dust .. u get a swap - if not ur waiting again

The square headlights look so out of place. It's almost like they are the wrong size so they had to add a spacer below it. I think if they used a larger square headlight it would have looked much nicer. I just can't get over the spacer, like a DIY hack job.

The square headlights look so out of place. It's almost like they are the wrong size so they had to add a spacer below it. I think if they used a larger square headlight it would have looked much nicer. I just can't get over the spacer, like a DIY hack job.
I prefer them as it is a great nod to the FJ62, which I've had since '97. Square headlights just wouldn't give the same look as the narrower rectangular lights of the 62 series. But I get those that like the round headlights.

To me the round ones just look faux retro, but to each his own.

As far as dealers swapping allocations, is there any actual cost to the dealership other than the time/labor spent seeking out another dealer with the vehicle I want? Most of these aren’t even built yet, seems like it’d be pretty simple to get the vehicle assigned to the dealer where there’s a committed buyer.

Initially there is no incentive especially for an MSRP sale. Once initial demand wanes it should be fine. Whether that is before or after your dealer gets an allocation that you want is TBD. If it is a rare color you want that obviously makes it harder. I had a dealer do a swap to get a specific vehicle many years ago and they had to give up a similarly hard to find vehicle.

I prefer them as it is a great nod to the FJ62, which I've had since '97. Square headlights just wouldn't give the same look as the narrower rectangular lights of the 62 series. But I get those that like the round headlights.
Yes. My view is that the round headlight is a Jeep signature. Love the square lights with the nod to the FJ62.

At my age I would like SOTA headlights that light up the road w/o endangering oncoming drivers. State Of The Art. Be they rectangular or round.

I doubt a dealer would swap right now. They can sell it themselves, so no need to split the profits with another dealership.

Back