Premium fuel required, or not?

Nuke

Staff member
đź“› Founding Member
Jul 26, 2023
Rexburg, ID
So, will the 2024 LC operate successfully on regular (87) fuel, or not? The owners manual recommends premium, but does not seem to demand it. To be precise, from the owner's manual...

"Select premium unleaded
gasoline with an octane rating
of 91 (Research Octane Number
96) or higher required for
optimum engine performance
and fuel economy.
At minimum, the gasoline you
use should meet the specifications
of ASTM D4814 in the
U.S.A.."

1713928590964.gif

So, will the 2024 LC operate successfully on regular (87) fuel, or not? The owners manual recommends premium, but does not seem to demand it. To be precise, from the owner's manual...

"Select premium unleaded
and fuel economy.
of ASTM D4814 in the
U.S.A.."

@Nuke , Also from manual:

“●Using unleaded gasoline with an octane number or rating lower than the level previously stated may cause persistent heavy knocking. At worst, this may lead to engine damage and will void the vehicle warranty.”

"Select premium unleaded
and fuel economy.
of ASTM D4814 in the
U.S.A.."
Interesting. From the Canadian manual on the Tacoma (LC not out yet - same engine as we all know) :

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.02.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.02.15 AM.png
    704.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.03.00 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.03.00 AM.png
    392.1 KB · Views: 75
Interesting. From the Canadian manual on the Tacoma (LC not out yet - same engine as we all know) :
By LC not out yet are you speaking of the manual or the vehicle? The manual has been online for months. Also someone has already posted the page from the manual and a picture of the gas cap.

I mean like kill me now. Multiple threads and over 200 post with you guys arguing. It is what is is. Just put whatever you want in it.

Captain Trips, I really do not wish to "Just put whatever you want in it'" Not arguing, just asking for information pre-purchase. Was not aware over 200 posts have addressed the issue, which appears still not settled.

go by the fuel cap door, it there's no "premium required" you can use regular, if it has "premium required", putting regular in it will harm it for sure, might not be immediate but definitely will

go by the fuel cap door, it there's no "premium required" you can use regular, if it has "premium required", putting regular in it will harm it for sure, might not be immediate but definitely will
Thanks carpoor (I resemble your username!). Seems I may have seen a photo posted somewhere, but our dealer certainly does not have an LC.

By LC not out yet are you speaking of the manual or the vehicle? The manual has been online for months. Also someone has already posted the page from the manual and a picture of the gas cap.

I mean like kill me now. Multiple threads and over 200 post with you guys arguing. It is what is is. Just put whatever you want in it.
Manual nor vehicle. Neither are available to view yet. Not arguing, simply posting what I see.

And by "the manual has been online for months", is that months US, or months Canadian?

"Models tested: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road with 5-foot bed.

Price as tested: $56,795 (excluding $1,495 destination charge)

Powerplant: 2.4L turbocharged four-cylinder and electric motor

Output: 326 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 465 pound-feet of torque @ 1,700 rpm

Transmission: 8-speed automatic

Fuel economy: 22 mpg city/24 highway/23 combined (manufacturer’s estimate). Regular gasoline."

Crazy that Toyota would tune the Taco for regular, and the LC for premium. Possibly I should take a 2nd look at the Tacoma Limited (for the full-time 4wd). It is somewhat built for seniors as us, with power running boards, but the interior comes across as for the younger set. The wife needs a grab handle? At 82, will I be doing hard off-roading? Nope!

"On 87 octane fuel, Toyota says this engine will make a peak of 326 hp at 6,000 rpm and 465 lb-ft of torque from just 1,700 rpm. Towing capacity is 6,000 lb."

Crazy. Exact same spec as the LC. This regular Tacoma, premium LC thing is all a bit weird to me.

Back