Land Cruiser vs 4Runner

I like this idea @Skidaddl!

Good to flush out similarities and differences to help make informed purchasing decisions.

Here are a couple more differences for folks that plan to wheel their trucks.

TH version the 4R has the 9.5 rear diff (like the GX550) vs the 8.2 on LC. Not sure on rest of 4R lineup but imagine the TRD Pro would have it as well.

Approach/Departure better on 4R TH 32/24 vs LC 30 or 31/22. Haven’t seen rest of lineup numbers.

Ground Clearance 4R 9.2 vs LC 8.7.

LC is also about 5” taller - something to consider based on where you wheel or if you have a garage.
Or how tall you are.

At 49 here I’d like to still think young & fun. The 4R seems to differentiate itself with a greater variety of trims / configurations than the LC, particularly at the lower end. You could forego the hybrid entirely & come in at a lower price point than the 1958. I suspect at my end of the market (say 4R Platinum vs. LC Premium) that I’d find a much smaller price gap. With shared Taco components, the 4R may still be slightly cheaper but I suspect not cheaper enough to factor into my decision. Particularly also comparing the GX.

Power to Toyota for offering 3 similar vehicles when competitors offer zero (where’s my Ford Everest?). I suspect for some this will be a very difficult decision. I can’t say I know which way to go. I hope that would be cleared up once I have a chance to actually sit in both.

I think we have a similar taste and age as well. Guess we are part of that “safe and confident” crowd according to the Toyota marketing folk….Whatever that means. I hope to be having some “fun” with this LC though too. :D
I'd be willing to bet the average age on here to be well over 40.

At 49 here I’d like to still think young & fun. The 4R seems to differentiate itself with a greater variety of trims / configurations than the LC, particularly at the lower end. You could forego the hybrid entirely & come in at a lower price point than the 1958. I suspect at my end of the market (say 4R Platinum vs. LC Premium) that I’d find a much smaller price gap. With shared Taco components, the 4R may still be slightly cheaper but I suspect not cheaper enough to factor into my decision. Particularly also comparing the GX.

Power to Toyota for offering 3 similar vehicles when competitors offer zero (where’s my Ford Everest?). I suspect for some this will be a very difficult decision. I can’t say I know which way to go. I hope that would be cleared up once I have a chance to actually sit in both.

52 here. Pretty sure we're the target demographic LOL

But man, that second paragraph is something isn't it. Nobody else offers what Toyota is laying down. I don't count the Jeep and Bronco. Those are rattletraps that lose their appeal after the first two hours on the highway for all but the biggest die hards.

If Chevy made that ZR2 Colorado into an SUV, I'd be looking at that pretty hard too.

The additional 5-inches of headroom in the Land Cruiser will be appreciated by passengers. Especially, those well over 6-foot.

Do we know if the increased ground clearance on the 4Runner is in the suspension or does it just have larger tires?

The additional 5-inches of headroom in the Land Cruiser will be appreciated by passengers. Especially, those well over 6-foot.

Do we know if the increased ground clearance on the 4Runner is in the suspension or does it just have larger tires?
I don't think we know, but I was wondering if it was because the 4Runner has a smaller rear diff.

Hard to tell from these pic's, but looks like the LC may have larger frame components.
Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 8.03.11 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 8.03.45 PM.png

52 here. Pretty sure we're the target demographic LOL

But man, that second paragraph is something isn't it. Nobody else offers what Toyota is laying down. I don't count the Jeep and Bronco. Those are rattletraps that lose their appeal after the first two hours on the highway for all but the biggest die hards.

If Chevy made that ZR2 Colorado into an SUV, I'd be looking at that pretty hard too.
Yep, that’s exactly it. The Jeep & Bronco are awesome vehicles! I’d have one as a second vehicle if I could. But when you’re budgeting this kind of money for a car, and they’re priced similarly, I’m looking for something I can enjoy for all types of driving, not just short trips. Sadly Chevy has yet to answer this segment with anything & that Colorado is a nice truck to base something off of.

Yep, that’s exactly it. The Jeep & Bronco are awesome vehicles! I’d have one as a second vehicle if I could. But when you’re budgeting this kind of money for a car, and they’re priced similarly, I’m looking for something I can enjoy for all types of driving, not just short trips. Sadly Chevy has yet to answer this segment with anything & that Colorado is a nice truck to base something off of.
Chevy did answer though.

With the Blazer.

Can't believe they dropped that into the universe right about the same time Ford walked in the room and dropped the new Bronco on the table.

This was published on the Car and Driver website as their estimate for the new 4runner pricing:

SR5 - $43,000 EST
TRD SPORT $46,000 EST
TRD SPORT PREMIUM - $48,000 EST
TRD OFF-ROAD $50,000 - EST
TRD OFF-ROAD PREMIUM $52,000 EST
LIIMITED - $54,000 EST

KBB Estimated Pricing:
4Runner SR5 (turbo)$43,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Sport (turbo)$46,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Sport Premium (turbo)$47,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Off-Road (turbo or hybrid)$47,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium (turbo or hybrid)$50,000 (estimated)
4Runner Limited (turbo or hybrid)$53,000 (estimated)
4Runner Platinum (hybrid)$57,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Pro (hybrid)$60,000 (estimated)
4Runner Trailhunter (hybrid)$62,000 (estimated)
These pricing estimates include the inescapable destination fee of about $1,400.

Last edited:
Think your numbers might be off a bit -

My bad - I've updated it and also included the KBB pricing estimate.

IMO, interior is going to massively separate the 4Runner and Land Cruiser. The Land Cruiser interior appears to be very well made and subtly stylish. The 4Runner interior is going to be an acquired taste at best.

I think it will be interesting to see where they slot the off-road with the hybrid, see if they go for a value equation.

Back