Land Cruiser vs 4Runner

Skidaddl

📛 Founding Member
Sep 7, 2023
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Something's that been bugging me since the 4Runner launch the other day:

What, exactly, are the differences between the Land Cruiser and 4Runner, besides just styling and marketing approach? I personally prefer the styling of the LC, but that was never my motivating factor in purchasing one in the first place. Are we just paying more for the LC because of the badging?

Here's what we know so far:

• same size (essentially)
  • same wheelbase
  • same hybrid engine with same spec's
  • same towing capacity
  • same Stabilizer Bar Disconnect available
  • 4Runner has several different spec grades
  • 4Runner has fancy Fox and OM Emu suspension
  • 4Runner has more ground clearance

What we don't know:

• weight difference (is the LC more "heavy duty"?)
  • fuel type
  • 4Runner pricing
  • etc.

I'd be interested in other's comments here, and think it would be worthwhile updating this thread as more information becomes available. Have I missed anything?

Last edited:
The LC250 has full-time 4WD with center and rear locker. You can’t get that combination with the 4Runner.

Besides that, I think it’s really just styling and dimension differences. Both will be quality Japan-built SUVs.

Thanks for the comment. Yes - forgot about those 2 things. According to the lead Engineer on both:

"They each have a role, a mission that differentiates the two vehicles," Keita Moritsu, chief engineer for both the Land Cruiser and the 4Runner, told Motor1 through a translator. "The Land Cruiser is designed to support life. It has to be safe. Its duty is to transport people and goods safely and confidently. That's it's role. And obviously, it doesn't break. And even if it does break, it has to be easy to repair. It's a vehicle that gives people a peace of mind. That's the role of that vehicle."

"In contrast, the 4Runner represents fun," Moritsu adds. "A leisurely off-road [experience]. The customers want to have an exciting time in the car. And to really be able to have fun is what's important. It's a much lighter, agile kind of vehicle. And [it has] a much more energetic, active kind of persona to it."

This leads me to believe that perhaps the frame and some parts on the LC might be more heavy duty....OR......might just mean they're essentially the same, but being marketed to different audiences.

Not all 4Rs will get Old Man Emu or Fox suspension…just a couple trims.

Same for full time 4wd with centre/rear lock. I believe the Limited and Platinum trims of 4R will get these features. TBC

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing the last couple days…thanks for starting this thread.

Thanks for the comment. Yes - forgot about those 2 things. According to the lead Engineer on both:

"They each have a role, a mission that differentiates the two vehicles," Keita Moritsu, chief engineer for both the Land Cruiser and the 4Runner, told Motor1 through a translator. "The Land Cruiser is designed to support life. It has to be safe. Its duty is to transport people and goods safely and confidently. That's it's role. And obviously, it doesn't break. And even if it does break, it has to be easy to repair. It's a vehicle that gives people a peace of mind. That's the role of that vehicle."

"In contrast, the 4Runner represents fun," Moritsu adds. "A leisurely off-road [experience]. The customers want to have an exciting time in the car. And to really be able to have fun is what's important. It's a much lighter, agile kind of vehicle. And [it has] a much more energetic, active kind of persona to it."

This leads me to believe that perhaps the frame and some parts on the LC might be more heavy duty....OR......might just mean they're essentially the same, but being marketed to different audiences.
The “lighter more agile” comment is a bit of a head scratcher to me, given the specs we’ve been told. Certainly wouldn’t seem to apply to the 4R top trims with hybrid system…

Traditionally the 4Runner has had a lower curb weight than the Prado. Will be interesting to see if that holds true for this generation.

Interesting comments from the lead engineer. There must be a reason why Toyota markets the Prado to the likes of Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings for use with NGOs in the Third World.

Last edited:
I'd liked to have been a fly on the wall in all the 4R/LC marketing meetings! To me, it seems like there are different target demographics. Me? At age 72 and after 3 4Runners and an FJ Cruiser, I'd like to "step up" to the historic top of Toyota's "go anywhere" line to the Land Cruiser. The new 4Runner seems too trendy to me but, hey, I'm old... If I want OME shocks and a little more lift, I can do that in a year or two.

Maybe a lot of our questions will be answered after we've driven both?

From Taco Hybrid manual reference from:

1712931687913.png

I like this idea @Skidaddl!

Good to flush out similarities and differences to help make informed purchasing decisions.

Here are a couple more differences for folks that plan to wheel their trucks.

TH version the 4R has the 9.5 rear diff (like the GX550) vs the 8.2 on LC. Not sure on rest of 4R lineup but imagine the TRD Pro would have it as well.

Approach/Departure better on 4R TH 32/24 vs LC 30 or 31/22. Haven’t seen rest of lineup numbers.

Ground Clearance 4R 9.2 vs LC 8.7.

LC is also about 5” taller - something to consider based on where you wheel or if you have a garage.

The LC250 has full-time 4WD with center and rear locker. You can’t get that combination with the 4Runner.

Besides that, I think it’s really just styling and dimension differences. Both will be quality Japan-built SUVs.
According to the reveal it will have an option for full-time 4wd and center locker. 4Runner Reveal
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 10.48.44 AM.jpeg

I'd liked to have been a fly on the wall in all the 4R/LC marketing meetings! To me, it seems like there are different target demographics. Me? At age 72 and after 3 4Runners and an FJ Cruiser, I'd like to "step up" to the historic top of Toyota's "go anywhere" line to the Land Cruiser. The new 4Runner seems too trendy to me but, hey, I'm old... If I want OME shocks and a little more lift, I can do that in a year or two.

Maybe a lot of our questions will be answered after we've driven both?
I'm in agreement with you. I'm 58, and am looking to finally step up to the LC (plus I prefer the less "sporty/trendy" styling). Just hope it's really a step up from the 4Runner build as it's always been in the past - especially because I'll likely be putting my money on the LC at least 6 or more months before the 4Runner is available.

Something's that been bugging me since the 4Runner launch the other day:

What, exactly, are the differences between the Land Cruiser and 4Runner, besides just styling and marketing approach? I personally prefer the styling of the LC, but that was never my motivating factor in purchasing one in the first place. Are we just paying more for the LC because of the badging?

Here's what we know so far:

• same size (essentially)
  • same wheelbase
  • same hybrid engine with same spec's
  • 4Runner has several different spec grades
  • 4Runner has fancy Fox and OM Emu suspension
  • 4Runner has more ground clearance

What we don't know:

• weight difference (is the LC more "heavy duty"?)
  • fuel type
  • 4Runner pricing
  • etc.

I'd be interested in other's comments here, and think it would be worthwhile updating this thread as more information becomes available. Have I missed anything?
KDSS option is gone. E-KDSS is available on some Lexus 550GX trims.

I'm in agreement with you. I'm 58, and am looking to finally step up to the LC (plus I prefer the less "sporty/trendy" styling). Just hope it's really a step up from the 4Runner build as it's always been in the past - especially because I'll likely be putting my money on the LC at least 6 or more months before the 4Runner is available.
I think we have a similar taste and age as well. Guess we are part of that “safe and confident” crowd according to the Toyota marketing folk….Whatever that means. I hope to be having some “fun” with this LC though too. :D

Back