WTF The Dashcam

Don

đź“› Founding Member
Jul 27, 2024
Media
Chicago
Vehicles
LC250
I've made my purchase, but I had to pass on a dashcam optioned vehicle that was otherwise what I wanted at a good price. Had a long meeting with the mechanic who was not willing to move or remove the unit. It is beyond my comprehension how Toyota could make such a mistake.

My only explanation is that the dashcam was originally intended to use the existing camera system, and the ridiculous hardware glued to the windshield was a last minute fix forced by internal politics. Or perhaps indicative of heavy drug use by the responsible designers and engineers . Toyota should drug test the entire approval chain responsible for such a POS.

Same situation here. I refused to purchase one with it installed and they would not remove it.

Reactions: Don
The port installed option are a joke. "Let's put $80 receiver balls on 600 vehicles!". Purchasing should not being trying to avoid the most worthless options.

In the midwest almost every vehicle comes with the 20" tire option. Apparently because no one in the midwest intends to air down.

I also passed on a Land Cruiser because it had this. This camera was clearly deigned for cars with a sloped windshield -- it's probably the same dash cam option for a Crown or Camry or Prius. Whoever decided to make it an option on this upright windshield just wasn't thinking.

Is it fairly easy to remove or pretty involved? Mine came with it and thinking about removing it.

So I just got back from my first test drive. It was a First Edition which is too pricey for me, but it also had the dashcam...and "WTF the Dashcam" was exact thought. I though it was box for the dealer to lock the keys in and release for test drives. At 6'2, the placement of this was a complete nonstarter. That is a horrible design.

Pardon my ignorance, what is the problem with the dashcam? Anyone has pictures showing the dashcam?

The issue is how much it intrudes on the driver’s field of view. Probably because it was designed for other models that have a more angled windshield, so it doesn’t stick straight down like on the LC. Here’s an example in another thread:

The issue is how much it intrudes on the driver’s field of view. Probably because it was designed for other models that have a more angled windshield, so it doesn’t stick straight down like on the LC. Here’s an example in another thread:

Someone posted that in Japan, Toyota uses the front facing and rear facing cameras as dash cams, for moving and being parked, and stores the info somehow in the LC’s.

Pardon my ignorance, what is the problem with the dashcam? Anyone has pictures showing the dashcam?
It's so bad it's humorous. Only a japanese company with rigid decision making could have such a big mistake make it all the way to the customer. Not to mention that placing a dashcan next to an already existing camera should not be happening in 2024. It shows the perpetual Japanese weakness in software development.

Back