Winterize Land Cruiser

I would just buy tire chains. Buy two sets if you want redundancy in case one chain breaks. Chains will outperform any winter tire.

I would practice putting them on though.
The manual says something about chains: “Tire chains cannot be mounted on vehicles with 265/70R18 and 265/60R20 tires.” No chains on first edition

This is a dilemma for me. Yes I could spend $1000 to get a set of winter tire for a trip I only do every 3-4 years. Not only it will be very expensive but also I don’t have a storage for these tires so if I go to these public storage it will be another $50-70 a month.
I do drive in these areas in rental car before too. Usually they plow highway 1 fairly quick, and I will have to avoid go to these areas where it snows hard. It is very weather dependent for sure

1. Tires - unless the snow is insanely crazy, you should be fine - just drive with caution. If you want to, buy a seat of tires with the three-peak rating and sell your stock tires. The difference won't be $1000
2. Bear mace!

A couple of quick thoughts. First, your LC is Full-time 4x4 (not AWD), more effective in traction situations like your potentially snowy drive. Second, I would go with tire cables/ chains. One set, install on front wheels when necessary. I’ve used cables for the past several years, and I find this works best…but remember, braking requires friction…so long and slow lead time with chains can help you slow down…drive like some maniacs I see in the mountains, guaranteed you’ll slide into something or someone…or worse. YMMV.

Sleeping. Suggest a sleeping pad/ mat with a high “R” rating, the higher the rating the less heat transfer between you and the cold car. A good sleeping bag and an electric blanket should suffice…unless the temps get dangerously low, then I’m just running the LC in “ready” mode and allowing climate control to keep cabin temps in a safe range at the expense of a little fuel.

Hope this helps.

Low clearance cables like Super Z6 seems to work well on my vehicles..pretty sure they’re referring to big ass chains.
That looks somewhere between a chain and cable. I personally like cable and I was thinking to use both cable and tire socks. cable is usually better for gaining traction but socks are far better for break. But to be honest I have never tried this combination before.

I was there this summer and there are signs that you can be ticketed if you don't have either three-peak rated tires, or chains. I'm not sure of your specific route, so some highways will have this restriction in winter and others won't.

Also, the Jasper area had some major fires this past summer including at the town of Jasper. Don't know if this changes your plans, but many of the campsite burnt down, and about a third of the town did as well.

The dealership that I bought Miss Daisy from down in Georgia, Milton Martin Toyota in Gainesville, just sent me an email with a buy three get one free offer on tires, good until October 31, for $962 installed, plus tax. Looks like Miss Daisy will have Toyo Open Country ATIII’s by the end of the month, simply because of the 3 peak snow ice rating.. Black ice is a real BEOCH, and was responsible for many MVA’s when I lived in Idaho. I really don’t plan of leaving the pavement, unless the driveway coming up the mountain that we live on, washes out. Then, I think the Toyo’s would be better than the OEM Michelins, especially when it is muddy.

When I lived in Idaho, every year, every single year, hooligans in 4X4 vehicles were out first thing in the morning after we got dumped on, and by far, the most vehicles that were in the ditches were Subaru’s, and jacked up poked out 4X4’s. Why? Because they thought that they were immune to the ice. Snow wasn’t that much of a problem. Back then, unless you had had your tires siped (Les Schwab did my ‘06 Avalanche Michelins, and the initial Michelin Defenders on my ‘12 Subaru Outback), or had Blizzaks or Michelin Ice tires (my Subaru), you were at risk of sliding off. For the investment that we have in our rigs, being adequately prepared seems like a must. If I put luggage on the roof rack, it will be top notch luggage, not strapped on milk crates from the dollar store.

Whatever you decide, it is your LC, your life, your choice.

Back