Windshield replacement national back-order?

DctrEvil

📛 Founding Member
Nov 21, 2023
Media
Little Rock, AR
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser LC Trim
I have a large crack in the upper passenger side of my windshield from a stray rock on the highway. I requested OEM replacement, which Safelite is happy to do, but I was just notified that there is a "NATIONAL BACKORDER from the manufacturer, with no current ETA"... Has anyone else run into this? I wonder if a Toyota dealership has any better connection to order one?

Yeah, I caught a bolt to the center of my screen and have a huge spider crack. Local glass company ordered them, took about 3 weeks or so.

Thanks for the replies! I think this is the proper part number, 56101-6B927. I've reached out to my dealership to see if they can order, but it sounds like we'll all be waiting...

I have a large crack in the upper passenger side of my windshield from a stray rock on the highway. I requested OEM replacement, which Safelite is happy to do, but I was just notified that there is a "NATIONAL BACKORDER from the manufacturer, with no current ETA"... Has anyone else run into this? I wonder if a Toyota dealership has any better connection to order one?

Same situation for me. The dealership informed me that there is a back order and it may take a few weeks. Luckily, it’s on my passenger side and is well contained.

It makes me feel bad that there are already this much people need to replace their windshields. LC is still very new and very few people is driving it right now, maybe only a few thousands in US.

It makes me feel bad that there are already this much people need to replace their windshields. LC is still very new and very few people is driving it right now, maybe only a few thousands in US.
There are around 15k reported sales. But any car with upright windshield is prone to damage. People were famously joking that FJ Cruiser's needed a new windshield every oil change

My wife’s ‘24 Pilot had to wait 4 months for a windshield replacement. AFAIK, Honda still has them on back order. 3rd party options weren’t yet available because the safety sense integrations hadn’t been made available from Honda quite yet, or whatever such excuse was being socialized at the time. This is not just a Toyota issue.

Last edited:
I was going through a windshield every year on my jeep gladiator. Its a bummer with the flat-style windshields. I hope im not looking at same situation with my LC......

Whenever folks post pictures of their tire "poke" all I see is the rock that poke is about to fling at my vertical windshield.

This the same thing I was talking about on another thread called “glass imperfections “ it took about a month and a phone call to Toyota corporate to get my rubber molding parts to repair my front windshield due to the alleged back order issues . My glass company got the part and is coming today to repair my windshield…. That being said, does anyone know how to strengthen the windshield from cracks… like a wrap or ?

Pretty normal for a brand new design, especially one with this level of initial demand. They’re probably running as hard as they can to build new units, surplus capacity for replacements will ramp up sooner or later. It will improve.

Here in Denver, cracked windshields are part of life. I have a zero deductible glass rider on my insurance.

I saw many people sell some sort of "windshield protection film". Has anybody try that? Kind of hard to imagine that a thin layer of elastic film to absorb much energy getting transferred to the glass...

It's part of the price of admission on these boxy designs (along with crappy gas mileage and wind noise). When I was using my FJ as a daily drive it was two windshields a year minimum, not just from cracks and chips but all the pitting that would occur over the winter from the DOT sanding the inclines along I-70 where it heads up into the mountains. You learn to live with the morning/evening glare until you can't and then replace.

When expectations are inline with the physics of ballistics, and reality in general, life is good and your LC will put a smile on your face every time you get in for a drive. If maintaining a perfect piece of glass in front of you at all times is a priority then best of luck . . .

Back