Why can't I just order one the way I want it?

BoredomFestival

đź“› Founding Member
Sep 4, 2023
Media
Oakland, CA, USA
Last year, my wife ordered a new Ford F250. We went to a dealer that sold a ton of trucks and while they obviously would have preferred we buy from their stock, they were perfectly fine with us ordering a build-to-spec truck (which we waiting several months for).

Why the heck can't we do this for the LC?

Last year, my wife ordered a new Ford F250. We went to a dealer that sold a ton of trucks and while they obviously would have preferred we buy from their stock, they were perfectly fine with us ordering a build-to-spec truck (which we waiting several months for).

You’ll hear people saying they “ordered” a Toyota. They either have no idea what they are talking about or are simply trying to impress people. No one can order a Toyota. Dealers are given allocations for vehicles that are configured in such a manner that Toyota feels will sell in that region. Dealers can swap allocations if desired. Toyota has their production/assembly line to build x amount of vehicles in a certain configuration before they change tooling, add different parts etc. To build a vehicle per customer request would interfere with their production. Toyota is responsible for creating lean manufacturing, the model which most modern factories attempt to follow. Very efficient model. They try to forecast what their customers will buy. If they don’t like it they can order a ford.

Because thats not how Toyota works
🤷‍♂️

Dealers don't even get to pick which cars they get. The can request specific builds in their allocation, but its up to the distributors on what they get.

You’ll hear people saying they “ordered” a Toyota. They either have no idea what they are talking about or are simply trying to impress people. No one can order a Toyota. Dealers are given allocations for vehicles that are configured in such a manner that Toyota feels will sell in that region. Dealers can swap allocations if desired. Toyota has their production/assembly line to build x amount of vehicles in a certain configuration before they change tooling, add different parts etc. To build a vehicle per customer request would interfere with their production. Toyota is responsible for creating lean manufacturing, the model which most modern factories attempt to follow. Very efficient model. They try to forecast what their customers will buy. If they don’t like it they can order a ford.
Also as a correction - Toyota builds them almost all the same at the factory. Some will have slightly different factory options (20s/18s or moonroof/no moonroof) but almost every other option on the LC is Port or Distributor installed. If you hate some of the Port options, blame GST or SET, not Toyota Motors.

My advice - don't be tied to your one local dealer. My local dealer(s) did not. have the LC FE as I wanted it. I found the exact car I wanted 120 miles away, drove there and bought it. That dealer was extremely helpful and understood I was not local. The car as you want it is out there somewhere.

My advice - don't be tied to your one local dealer. My local dealer(s) did not. have the LC FE as I wanted it. I found the exact car I wanted 120 miles away, drove there and bought it. That dealer was extremely helpful and understood I was not local. The car as you want it is out there somewhere.
I'm looking all over the country but not finding what I want:
  • LC LC
  • No Premium Pack, No Moonroof, preferably no 20" tires
  • Heritage Blue, preferably Java interior

TL;DR: I don't want the stuff that generates the most profit :-/

• LC LC

That doesn’t sound unreasonable to me. A rather plain lc trim, however, if Toyota didn’t configure any lc like this, you won’t find one. You may have to settle for one with 20’s or black interior. I’ve never been allocated a Toyota exactly how I wanted it. I’m sure it happens to some people, but most settle for something close.

Go to a few high volume dealers and share your preferred build and they typically will call you when something withing your parameters shows in their allocations.
And if you get soon enough you can remove all the PIO.
I did it on mine.

I "ordered" my dealership to let me know when they
  • LC LC

Give it enough time and you'll find one. Just think about each requirement adding to the time, and consider being flexible on some of them.

I had a similar shopping list to you, but I was flexible on moonroof and java interior. I was offered one with a moonroof and black interior, that was fine!

I haven't seen any blues with java yet, and I also haven't seen many(or any?) LC trims without moonroofs.

• LC LC

The Java (leather at least) I've suddenly seen a lot more of in the last two weeks for incoming vehicles. There weren't many around here before that. That is likely to be a high demand combination which might be part of the issue.

Check with Walnut Creek Toyota. They do have a list, if you're in a hurry it might not be a good option. If you PM me I can give you contact into for the internet sales guy I'm working with.

Alternately, if you're willing to travel, looking further away I've noticed the ones Toyota is sending to the Reno area, Northern Arizona, and New Mexico are tending to have way fewer add ons (and no 20" wheels).

Pretty sure the OP knows all this........ he's just stating what many of us wish......Toyota would allow custom orders instead of canned orders and you get what you get.

Check with Walnut Creek Toyota. They do have a list, if you're in a hurry it might not be a good option. If you PM me I can give you contact into for the internet sales guy I'm working with.

I did; they aren't taking any new entries on their waiting list until further notice :-/

Alternately, if you're willing to travel, looking further away I've noticed the ones Toyota is sending to the Reno area, Northern Arizona, and New Mexico are tending to have way fewer add ons (and no 20" wheels).

Definitely willing to travel, but even expanding to 500 miles away, the number of sunroofless LC-trim is vanishingly small. (And while I'm complaining, Toyota's website needs some work...)

This was an all-new experience for me, too. Unlike any other vehicle “ordering” experience I’ve had. Basically, you have to work harder to get that Toyota you want than any other make—and perhaps be willing to compromise with what you actually get. Constantly scanning in transit inventory, etc. Even if you do end up with an allocation, it’s not a concrete, bespoke “order” and you may ultimately find one you want sooner from another dealer. Basically, it’s a free-for-all, and I could see how this model would drive the dealers nuts—though I’m not sympathetic to their plight.

Back