When do the LC recalls start?

Rocket

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Aug 26, 2023
Media
Nashville, TN
Vehicles
2014 FJ Cruiser
I have money down on an LC premium that should arrive in a month. My concern is that with all of the recalls on other models, LC will have it's share of recalls also. The recent recalls I am aware of are the Tundra engine recall, the Grand Highlander airbag recall, the Tacoma transmission issues (not a recall yet). Obviously the Tundra engine is different. What about the airbags? Probably the same design. Is the Tacoma using the same transmission as the LC? Same engine. What else is out there that I don't know about?

Really questioning my decision to purchase at this time.

Wait 2-3 years minimum and you should have a decent car by them.
Just a Tundra example, since 2022 and still a lot of engines to replace.

If this is causing you mental anguish, I'd recommend getting a different model that has a track record. We can't tell you what is going to go wrong because no one here knows. It might be perfect, it might be a disaster.

Also, as a manufacturing quality engineer, there are a lot of ways for things to fail. Is it designed right? That comes down to Toyota's design and evaluation process. If they used the same process and criteria as before, the design is generally going to yield the same results. A good design doesn't happen by accident. Then there's the manufacturing. Did the manufacturing process control methods change? Did the evaluation of the manufacturing process change? Did your particular vehicle get built when there was an unaccounted for changepoint? Again, these things don't happen by accident. Finally, there is the supply base. Did the process in place to confirm quality change? This is a big maybe for me because COVID fundamentally changed my supplier base for my product. There was a massive loss of tribal knowledge with the way COVID shook the job market. Many people moved into retirement and their replacements weren't trained properly. So, will there be recalls for the Land Cruiser? Probably some type because manufacturing -- across the board -- is still learning how to react to the lasting COVID impacts. Would I let the fear of a recall make me choose a particular vehicle over another? Absolutely not. I've seen how the sausage is made. Even mature manufacturing lines at suppliers are struggling thanks to the COVID brain drain, so there's still the possibility of 4Runner, for example, having some sort of big recall issue thanks some changepoint at a supplier. Nothing in life is guaranteed.

Iโ€™d rather have something get recalled to be fixed. A vehicle can be out for over 10 years and get a recall. Some manufacturers wonโ€™t recall their broken garbage until they are sued like the GM transmissions.

If this is causing you mental anguish, I'd recommend getting a different model that has a track record. We can't tell you what is going to go wrong because no one here knows. It might be perfect, it might be a disaster.

Also, as a manufacturing quality engineer, there are a lot of ways for things to fail. Is it designed right? That comes down to Toyota's design and evaluation process. If they used the same process and criteria as before, the design is generally going to yield the same results. A good design doesn't happen by accident. Then there's the manufacturing. Did the manufacturing process control methods change? Did the evaluation of the manufacturing process change? Did your particular vehicle get built when there was an unaccounted for changepoint? Again, these things don't happen by accident. Finally, there is the supply base. Did the process in place to confirm quality change? This is a big maybe for me because COVID fundamentally changed my supplier base for my product. There was a massive loss of tribal knowledge with the way COVID shook the job market. Many people moved into retirement and their replacements weren't trained properly. So, will there be recalls for the Land Cruiser? Probably some type because manufacturing -- across the board -- is still learning how to react to the lasting COVID impacts. Would I let the fear of a recall make me choose a particular vehicle over another? Absolutely not. I've seen how the sausage is made. Even mature manufacturing lines at suppliers are struggling thanks to the COVID brain drain, so there's still the possibility of 4Runner, for example, having some sort of big recall issue thanks some changepoint at a supplier. Nothing in life is guaranteed.
Land Cruisers are built in Japan. This fact alone may result in fewer issues with this new build. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ

FWIW, this guy (starting at 1m20sec) claims LC problems in Japan:

Take it with a grain of salt since he doesn't cite any sources for the claim.

As far as the Toyota TSB that was just released for 2024 Tacoma transmissions, currently the affected VINs don't include hybrids. If that remains true, and I'm not sure of the reason that hybrids would be immune, then by extension it shouldn't affect LCs either. However, Toyota had the opportunity in the Tacoma TSB to state that it won't affect hybrids and they didn't say that explicitly. So they probably don't yet know that for sure.

The point of the post was really to see if there are anymore recalls coming down the line that are known. I am fully aware that we cannot predict the future. It is not causing anguish. It just seems like there are more recalls from Toyota than I have ever seen before. Possibly because I haven't really paid as much attention as recently due to the possibility of purchasing a new LC.

I purchased a new FJ Cruiser in 2009 and it was great. Had I waited another year, I could have gotten the 2010 with improved engine that takes regular unleaded vs the 2008 which took premium. I seriously doubt Toyota will ever change the LC over from premium fuel. Yes, I am aware that you can run regular unleaded.

Bottom line is that I am trying to gather as much info as possible to make the best decision for me. Thanks for all of the posts.

I watched the video. Seems like a lot of videos these days, just full of FUD.

He can wait until 2027 to buy one and by then I will have been enjoying mine for 3 years

I watched the video. Seems like a lot of videos these days, just full of FUD.

He can wait until 2027 to buy one and by then I will have been enjoying mine for 3 years
Youtube really is the death of expertise. The algorithms prioritize engagement over accuracy. Telling everyone that some common knowledge is wrong is a great way to get engagement. Item X is known for ... well, here's one that wasn't! Click, share, subscribe.

We have a youtuber out there claiming that the 200 series land cruisers are going to be blowing head gaskets left and right because he had one fail. This is despite there being tons of 200 series out there with 300k miles. That's not how statistics work. Of course, every vehicle has things you have to look out for as they age and monitoring the coolant on a high mileage example is a good idea on any vehicle, but the presentation leans hard into the FUD.

You are waiting for the nearly impossible. You want a 'perfect' car with no issues. Not going to happen. As stated, you can make an educated guess, but even then, suppliers change.. small design changes occur, etc. Look at the airbag recalls that happened on a vast scale a few years back.

I had this exact same conversation with an FJ cruiser owner who stated 'I would never buy a first year model' I reminded him that the engine/tranny is not new, nor is the Prado.. just the pairing of the two together. Sure, there is always a chance they could explode tomorrow, but not likely. You have a warranty for peace of mind. Is it a PITA to bring it in to the dealer? Sure. At least it's not a financial hit..

Life is short my friend!

FWIW, this guy (starting at 1m20sec) claims LC problems in Japan:

Take it with a grain of salt since he doesn't cite any sources for the claim.

As far as the Toyota TSB that was just released for 2024 Tacoma transmissions, currently the affected VINs don't include hybrids. If that remains true, and I'm not sure of the reason that hybrids would be immune, then by extension it shouldn't affect LCs either. However, Toyota had the opportunity in the Tacoma TSB to state that it won't affect hybrids and they didn't say that explicitly. So they probably don't yet know that for sure.

That guy, likes to hear himself talk, and especially pontificate on the future..

I'm not sure how anyone other than Toyota would know when recalls are happening and what they'd be for.

Random aside, I bought a new '18 JLU MT Sahara when it first came out and it was great up until about 100,000 miles. Had a few recalls and never worried about recall work. You'll be hard-pressed to find any vehicle that doesn't have some or may have some in the future.

You are waiting for the nearly impossible. You want a 'perfect' car with no issues. Not going to happen. As stated, you can make an educated guess, but even then, suppliers change.. small design changes occur, etc. Look at the airbag recalls that happened on a vast scale a few years back.

I had this exact same conversation with an FJ cruiser owner who stated 'I would never buy a first year model' I reminded him that the engine/tranny is not new, nor is the Prado.. just the pairing of the two together. Sure, there is always a chance they could explode tomorrow, but not likely. You have a warranty for peace of mind. Is it a PITA to bring it in to the dealer? Sure. At least it's not a financial hit..

Life is short my friend!
Not waiting for the nearly impossible. Just checking to see if anything is around the bend that I am unaware of. I already have money down on one and then the Tacoma issues started appearing so just doing my due diligence before a major purchase. Both of my FJ's have been amazing. Hope the LC can hold that track record.

Back