What to do with OEM tires and wheels?

navybluechief

📛 Founding Member
Oct 22, 2024
Oegon
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser 1958 edition
I'm picking up our new LC 1958 tomorrow and Friday it goes back to the dealer for new wheels, tires and 1.5" lift.

Question: for anyone who had this upgrade done on a brand new vehicle, what did you do with the essentially new, OEM wheels and tires? It didn't dawn on me until a few minutes ago that I'll have a set of tires and wheels to deal with.

If you talk to the dealership they'll probably give you $400 for the wheels and tires. They hang on to them and sell them to the used car department to slap on used trade-ins of various vehicles in the future.

Offer it here if there's a section for it. At the very least, someone can offer you a trade for another port-installed option that they didn't want.

Hang on to them until you are sure you like the new set up. If you are lifting you’ll probably get bigger, aggressive tires I would assume. It won’t ride the same and your mpg will suffer. Also, if you hold onto them your vehicle will be worth more in the future with OEM if you trade or sell. Then sell your “upgraded” rims after.

I have heard FB marketplace is the best for selling tires/rims.
What lift are you going with?
And tires?

I was able to sell the my 20s and the stock tires that came on them through Marketplace. Didn't get quite as much as I'd hoped but I'm not storing them.

That sounds great. About how much did you get for them, if I might ask?

I've had really good results selling (and buying) parts using Facebook marketplace. Makes it easier to filter out the low ballers and scammers. Also works well when you want a local buyer for those large items that are too cost prohibitive to ship.

I'm picking up our new LC 1958 tomorrow and Friday it goes back to the dealer for new wheels, tires and 1.5" lift.

Question: for anyone who had this upgrade done on a brand new vehicle, what did you do with the essentially new, OEM wheels and tires? It didn't dawn on me until a few minutes ago that I'll have a set of tires and wheels to deal with.
I'm in OR as well and am interested in the rims only (have a set of OEM tires). DM me.

I'm keeping mine because if I ever sell it in the future I can revert it to OEM stock specs. But, I'm most likely not going to do anything that is irreversible with this truck like I did with my 2010 4Runner Trail. I never got any of that money back.

Hang on to them until you are sure you like the new set up. If you are lifting you’ll probably get bigger, aggressive tires I would assume. It won’t ride the same and your mpg will suffer. Also, if you hold onto them your vehicle will be worth more in the future with OEM if you trade or sell. Then sell your “upgraded” rims after.
+1 on this. Keeping my OEM wheels for that very reason.

Back