What is this patch for?

Marinna

📛 Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
I’ve noticed on my new LC FE that right in front of the rear wheel there are this metal patch on both side. It seems that it is thicker with the patch, but not sure why Toyota has to fortify the body in this area, almost feels like it is the weakness of the LC body here. Anybody noticed this on your LC? Is this really for fortifying the body, or it is for a different purpose?

Attachments

• IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 68
It’s a small piece of PPF ahead of the rear wheel arch to “protect” from rock strikes from the front wheels. It’s very similar to what Porsche does on the 911 so that loose material that’s thrown up from the front tires doesn’t damage the paint on the leading edge of the rear fender wells. It’s a nice touch as a means of providing a minimal amount of paint protection, but the amount of surface they are protecting on the Land Cruiser is very small. If you’re really worried about paint protection from debris being thrown up from the road or a trail, you’d be better off having PPF installed in the aftermarket and protecting a larger amount of real estate (especially running wider wheel/tire combos that poke outside the stock fenders and mudguards).

My 4Runner has it but my lc doesn’t. No running boards on my 4Runner, running boards on my lc premie. Maybe that’s the difference. If your fe has no running boards Toyota puts the rock guard there to prevent paint chips.

Attachments

• IMG_2965.jpeg
    IMG_2965.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 48
That is PPF Paint protection for rocks to save your paint. It is not metal! That is a Plyable plastic film that its applied. In the front they used to refer to it as a clear bra!

That is PPF Paint protection for rocks to save your paint. It is not metal! That is a Plyable plastic film that its applied. In the front they used to refer to it as a clear bra!
It doesn't feel like a film given the thickness. The body also sounds different when I knock it here comparing to area around it. What I am the most curious is why it doesn't come with other First Edition which also have rock slider.

It doesn't feel like a film given the thickness. The body also sounds different when I knock it here comparing to area around it. What I am the most curious is why it doesn't come with other First Edition which also have rock slider.
May be a dealer add on. PPF like this comes in many offerings. Typically part of a dealer "protection and convenience package" Usually does not come like this from Toyota. If you look at your purchase documents there may be a line item in there detailing what they put on, since this is dealer specific you wont see other similar vehicles with this option. PPF also comes in varying thickness. This specific PPF is there to prevent the most common dings from stray rocks. 100% not a structural patch of some sort.

I can’t remember the specifics, but when I had the entire body wrapped in PPF on my LCFE, they removed this portion of factory installed PPF. From what I remember it is very thick (10 mil) and would definitely sound a bit different than an uncovered portion of a body panel. When I say 10 mil, I’m not referring to millimeters but rather a unit of measurement equal to one one-thousandth of an inch. :)

It’s a small piece of PPF ahead of the rear wheel arch to “protect” from rock strikes from the front wheels. It’s very similar to what Porsche does on the 911 so that loose material that’s thrown up from the front tires doesn’t damage the paint on the leading edge of the rear fender wells. It’s a nice touch as a means of providing a minimal amount of paint protection, but the amount of surface they are protecting on the Land Cruiser is very small. If you’re really worried about paint protection from debris being thrown up from the road or a trail, you’d be better off having PPF installed in the aftermarket and protecting a larger amount of real estate (especially running wider wheel/tire combos that poke outside the stock fenders and mudguards).
Confirmed, I have PPF in the same spots on my 991.

It might not 'feel' like a film, but it is, as most have noted above. It is not any sort of metal doubler, as you have assumed. It is an option from Toyota.

I have those in numerous places on my LC FE. They're placed in potential areas where you'd expect debris to cause paint issues. Used to have them on my 4Runner and Tundras as well.

Back