Waited 11 months and declined delivery

The LC is a body-on-frame traditional SUV with 2-speed transfer case, solid rear axle, actual locking rear diff (not just brake-drag locking), disconnecting sway bar, softened suspension, and resembles a box on wheels. It's not intended for drag races and high speed cornering. It's designed for global use with places like Africa and Latin America in mind, and just so happens to also be sold here.

Different missions.

The Porsche and BMW are fine in their own right and intended purpose, but they're no LC when it comes to anything more adventurous than a graded dirt road or some snow on a paved road.

Different missions.

There are a LOT of crossover utility vehicles to choose from and if that's your preference, then celebrate because the options are seemingly limitless. If you're looking for some that the LC excels at, well, options are pretty limited. I'm just glad the LC exists even if it's not perfect.

You will be missed - I enjoyed your posts!

Drive a 5th gen 4runner and you will love this thing! The plushness of your rides may have changed you forever good sir.

Hi all, This is not my first Land Cruiser. I had a year 2000 before. I picked up my meteor shower LC LC on Friday, July 12th with premium package from a Southern California dealer.
I researched and was told that premium package comes with 20 inch tires. This had 18 inch tires. Then Toyota website informed me that premium package comes with steering mounted paddle shifter. It had none. All weather mats are cheap, cheapest of all, just lined rubber. What happened to the quality mats?. Then subscription apps have taken over my 12 inch screen. How do I get rid of them. I do not want any. Why Toyota seems very greedy, cheap and not keeping their words. On paper, my LC+ PP had 4 miles. In actuality it had 14. Then it was on the showroom floor, where everyone could touch it and ruin it. The deal I made on May 24th, fell flat on July 12th, because dealer now wanted 500 more than the agreed upon out of the door price.
He held on to my 500 deposit since May 24th. Now, I may have a problem getting it back. The first dealer charged $490 for paint protection. This one had a $1990 paint protection added on but 100% the same minimal coverage on hood. Shame. On Toyota. In the name of Costco fleet pricing, I was charged the MSRP. Why app subscription offers are overwhelming and hogging my screen? Big disappointment at pick up time. Gas tank was not full.Fuel mpg is showing 14.9 mpg. Owner's manual is clearly saying use premium gas of 91 octane. Center console, 100% taken by CoolBox. No room for little things like sunglasses or a wallet. It does NOT say 4 wheel drive anywhere. My wife was in the garage, along the wall, however, LC froze on me and refused to budge or move. Wish I had fewer issues to deal with. My VIN IS JTEABFAJ6R5001691. If it were a safer car, why did my car insurance company jacked up my rates compared to Highlander Hybrid I had.

Hi all, This is not my first Land Cruiser. I had a year 2000 before. I picked up my meteor shower LC LC on Friday, July 12th with premium package from a Southern California dealer.
I researched and was told that premium package comes with 20 inch tires. This had 18 inch tires. Then Toyota website informed me that premium package comes with steering mounted paddle shifter. It had none. All weather mats are cheap, cheapest of all, just lined rubber. What happened to the quality mats?. Then subscription apps have taken over my 12 inch screen. How do I get rid of them. I do not want any. Why Toyota seems very greedy, cheap and not keeping their words. On paper, my LC+ PP had 4 miles. In actuality it had 14. Then it was on the showroom floor, where everyone could touch it and ruin it. The deal I made on May 24th, fell flat on July 12th, because dealer now wanted 500 more than the agreed upon out of the door price.
He held on to my 500 deposit since May 24th. Now, I may have a problem getting it back. The first dealer charged $490 for paint protection. This one had a $1990 paint protection added on but 100% the same minimal coverage on hood. Shame. On Toyota. In the name of Costco fleet pricing, I was charged the MSRP. Why app subscription offers are overwhelming and hogging my screen? Big disappointment at pick up time. Gas tank was not full.Fuel mpg is showing 14.9 mpg. Owner's manual is clearly saying use premium gas of 91 octane. Center console, 100% taken by CoolBox. No room for little things like sunglasses or a wallet. It does NOT say 4 wheel drive anywhere. My wife was in the garage, along the wall, however, LC froze on me and refused to budge or move. Wish I had fewer issues to deal with. My VIN IS JTEABFAJ6R5001691. If it were a safer car, why did my car insurance company jacked up my rates compared to Highlander Hybrid I had.
I researched and was told that premium package comes with 20 inch tires. This had 18 inch tires. Your research is flawed. It dose not.

Then Toyota website informed me that premium package comes with steering mounted paddle shifter It had none. See above. Canada only

All weather mats are cheap, cheapest of all, just lined rubber. What happened to the quality mats?. Get weathertechs if these are not adequate.

Then subscription apps have taken over my 12 inch screen. How do I get rid of them. I do not want any. Why Toyota seems very greedy, cheap and not keeping their words. Subscribe. Everything is a one year fee trial. Then you can drop them after a year.

Owner's manual is clearly saying use premium gas of 91 octane. Discussed ad nauseum everywhere.

My wife was in the garage, along the wall, however, LC froze on me and refused to budge or move. Review the Manual, and maybe something simple.

If it were a safer car, why did my car insurance company jacked up my rates compared to Highlander Hybrid I had. Insurance rates are based on the price of the vehicle. I’m sure this one is considerably more than your Highlander. Also, it’s considered an off-road vehicle and they may be factoring that in also.

Almost everything in this post you should’ve known going in. Just about everything has been discussed on the forum and in Facebook groups everywhere. Also it sounds like you were dealing with a inreputable dealer. Instead of paying thousands in extras You probably could’ve walked and just lost 500 if that. I’m sure they would’ve given it back to you.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but this is what this forum is for. If you ask questions, they will be answered and other people are asking the same questions so you will see the answers. Also the forum has a pretty good search function that you can use. Also, a lot of this information could’ve been found on the Toyota website and in the manuals that they posted already.

Last edited:
Boy, you are unhappy. It takes more than 10 extra miles on the odometer to upset me. 20" wheels are an option. Most of us prefer the 18". It is full time 4WD. It also has a 4WD low. Look closely at your shift area. If your wife was too close to the LC and it was running, the collision safety system may have kicked in. If you give a chance you may like it- or not. I smile every time i start mine.
2024 Cruiser Tires R side2.jpg

I researched and was told that premium package comes with 20 inch tires. This had 18 inch tires. Your research is flawed. It dose not.

Then Toyota website informed me that premium package comes with steering mounted paddle shifter It had none. See above. Canada only

All weather mats are cheap, cheapest of all, just lined rubber. What happened to the quality mats?. Get weathertechs if these are not adequate.

Then subscription apps have taken over my 12 inch screen. How do I get rid of them. I do not want any. Why Toyota seems very greedy, cheap and not keeping their words. Subscribe. Everything is a one year fee trial. Then you can drop them after a year.

Owner's manual is clearly saying use premium gas of 91 octane. Discussed ad nauseum everywhere.

My wife was in the garage, along the wall, however, LC froze on me and refused to budge or move. Review the Manual, and maybe something simple.

If it were a safer car, why did my car insurance company jacked up my rates compared to Highlander Hybrid I had. Insurance rates are based on the price of the vehicle. I’m sure this one is considerably more than your Highlander. Also, it’s considered an off-road vehicle and they may be factoring that in also.

Almost everything in this post you should’ve known going in. Just about everything has been discussed on the forum and in Facebook groups everywhere. Also it sounds like you were dealing with a inreputable dealer. Instead of paying thousands in extras You probably could’ve walked and just lost 500 if that. I’m sure they would’ve given it back to you.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but this is what this forum is for. If you ask questions, they will be answered and other people are asking the same questions so you will see the answers. Also the forum has a pretty good search function that you can use. Also, a lot of this information could’ve been found on the Toyota website and in the manuals that they posted already.
Captain Trips,
You are awesome and logical. Thank you for explanations

My other car is an X5 M50i, and I love my new LC. It's an awesome daily driver. I was also initially disappointed with the engine. I then took it out of sport mode... perfect!!

My other car is an X5 M50i, and I love my new LC. It's an awesome daily driver. I was also initially disappointed with the engine. I then took it out of sport mode... perfect!!
Nice! How do you compare each? I really love the x5 but went LC because it checks more boxes for me now - larger family hauler that I don’t mind getting dirty with young kids, dogs, and my active outdoor lifestyle (surfing, mountain biking, hiking, etc).

I would love to add an x5 to the quiver for my wives next car.

When I got the call from a local dealer that a 1958 that was due in August showed up at the end of June and is available to test drive once it goes through the shop I went directly there to check it out with no real expectations. Wasn't able to test drive and didn't even have fuses in yet to open the hatch, but spent a lot of time with it inside, out, and underneath and put a deposit down so no one else could touch it. Went back Monday afternoon and as soon I pulled away in the parking lot I was like "what the hell is this?" By the time I got it out on the road I was so unimpressed, the drivetrain felt like complete junk and I almost called it and turned around, but I decided to keep going to see if it would improve. I ended up driving about 30 miles and took it on some back roads, stop and go, and on the highway up to 85 MPH. I had previous experience with a Tacoma powertrain that felt horrible right off the truck too, but got significantly better with time. It smoothed out considerably over those 30 miles to where I was like "okay" this is significantly better than any of my Tacoma's were or 4Runners I have drove in overall smoothness, there was still some clunkiness with the hybrid when pulling away, but not a deal breaker. I scheduled to pick up Friday and slept on it, woke up Tuesday and was all in. I put about 400 miles on it so far, new tires at 200 miles and that improved the ride and all NVH further. The drivetrain has gotten smoother each time I drive it, but it is still clunky pulling away most of the time, the two scenarios where it is smooth is either a very slow pull away where it starts entirely on electric then the motor comes on after moving ~10 MPH or a slightly harder acceleration where the engine fires up immediately, but a normal pull away is all clunky until gets moving to ~20 MPH. I have no experience with hybrids to compare it to. But I do know this was the one valid complaint of the Car Care Nut, he said the Tundra hybrid and Sequoia is completely smooth and doesn't understand the clunkiness in the LC, he said he hopes they fix it with programming. This should be just transmission mapping I would assume. I also wonder if the transmission "learns" and might automatically adjust over time, as I have heard some do. I don't know if the Tacoma hybrid is like this or not, but they use the same basic set up, and we'll have the same set up in the 4Runner soon. I am not getting on mine, hard acceleration at any speed, until I get through 1,000 mile break in period and change the oil. I'm also curious to see if the drive shafts will take any grease when I do the 1,000 mile oil change, they really felt like they needed to be broken in the first ~15 miles then settled down. I had a new 2016 Tacoma that the driveshaft was pretty much bone dry and took a lot of grease, it was so much smoother running after being greased that first time and every 5,000 miles thereafter.

It also is an off-road body on frame truck really made for just leisurely cruising around on road and highly capable off-road, it is always going to be totally different than a unibody constructed vehicle, but in my opinion the Land Cruiser has far fewer trade offs of body on frame than past vehicles I have experienced. It is very low NVH and handles great for body on frame.

Last edited:
How does taking it out of sport mode help? Previous RAV4 owner here and I only liked driving that vehicle in Sport mode....unfortunately had to set it every time you re-started.

How does taking it out of sport mode help? Previous RAV4 owner here and I only liked driving that vehicle in Sport mode....unfortunately had to set it every time you re-started.
I felt that in sport mode it accentuated the fact that this isn't a sport engine. The ICE revved too high... definitely letting you know that it is a small 4-cylinder turbo. With sport mode off its more in the sweet spot of rpm for what this SUV is made for. I felt the same in the first part of the test drive when Sport mode was on, as soon as it was off all was good. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I felt that in sport mode it accentuated the fact that this isn't a sport engine. The ICE revved too high... definitely letting you know that it is a small 4-cylinder turbo. With sport mode off its more in the sweet spot of rpm for what this SUV is made for. I felt the same in the first part of the test drive when Sport mode was on, as soon as it was off all was good. Just my opinion.
Ok, good to know....as others have chimed in on other threads, hopefully Toyota will re-calibrate some of these things to optimize the LC powertrain features.

I just drove the GX550 expecting it to feel more powerful but in all honesty I think the hybrid system helps to deliver that instant torque which made the LC feel better. It took me all of about 5 minutes of driving the GX550 to know I didn't like it.
I agree. My partner has a GX550 Luxury plus, and I have the Land Cruiser FE. The LC is a much smoother drive. The hybrid system works wonders. I upgraded from a RAV4 XSE Hybrid and was used to the system. The LC truly drives (almost) as smoothly as the RAV! So Zoomy!

My insurance premium reduced slight coming from a 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon to a 2024 LCLC Premium.

I’ve had three BMWs and two Porsches (still have one of them). I love them all. The BMW 545i I had from ‘07 to ‘13 was epic, maybe my favorite car ever.

My perception may be colored because of the Porsche in the adjacent garage space. That said, for my daily driver I’ve reached the point where I don’t want huge rims and thin tires, I do want a vehicle that can withstand the terrible road conditions we have in Colorado, and that can go up and down the hill on I-70 and get me to the occasional trailhead.

Make no mistake, the driving experience of a Cayenne or an X5 is not the same as one of these vehicles. Those feel like cars, which is a huge engineering feat by their builders. Land Cruisers feel like trucks, which is an appeal.

When driving I feel like the electric motor would help get you to 20mph reasonably well, then it just kind of sat back and chilled. Maybe I was just at a strange in-between speed where it was still kind of relying on electric but only for a little bit. I definitely didn't have enough drive time to get a feel for the quirks, but deep down I knew I didn't love it within about 30s.

One positive thing I didn't point out was the brakes. On the second test drive, a lot attendant whipped around a blind corner in the dealer's parking lot and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. I wasn't going all that fast, but the truck stopped pretty darn quickly.
No, it's not a fast truck that is for sure. But, what I do really appreciate is the torque. I cruise around hills where I live all day long and the RPMs at 1.5 without down shifting much is awesome. The off road ride is really nice. The suspension seems to soak up the bumps. IMO it drives a little like a turbo diesel but that's just my 2 cents.

Back