VIAIR 88P air compressor barely squeezes into the rear storage compartment

chancellor

📛 Founding Member
Jun 3, 2024
Media
Colorado
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
I was barely able to squeeze my Viar 88p compressor into the back storage compartment by trimming the underside of the cover with a dremel tool and vice grips. It probably reduces the strength some, but the lid sits right on the air compressor so it still has support there.

PXL_20240625_174352158.jpg

I'm curious if there is any room behind the side panels or floor. I plan on mounting my compressor permanently and putting a quick connect on the side of that cubby.

I think you can get that on a 4runner trailhunter. It might be possible on the LC, the bottle jack and 12v battery are on the left, the right side (where the 4runner has the air compressor) isn't very accessible. It does seem like the underfloor storage bins along the sides and rear are modular and would be pretty easy to swap out. Hopefully some nice aftermarket options come available. The side storage now is pretty small. The one by the battery removes easily to get access.

PXL_20240625_200804545.jpg

Hey thanks, that's a helpful picture. I really don't mind removing the entire side panel if I can find a suitable space. I will be installing a 60 amp resettable circuit breaker and a 6 bank relay module. Looks like space is really tight so I'm hopping there is some room between the rear AC parts and the side panel.

I use the Viair 485C

I was barely able to squeeze my Viar 88p compressor into the back storage compartment by trimming the underside of the cover with a dremel tool and vice grips. It probably reduces the strength some, but the lid sits right on the air compressor so it still has support there.

View attachment 3406
Thanks for the pic! I have an 88P and been thinking of where to store it. Currently in a recovery pelican case. Also thinking of finding somewhere to mount these terminals for easier access - e.g. no battery compartment cover removal.

Attachments

• IMG_8133.jpeg
    IMG_8133.jpeg
    890.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8132.jpeg
    IMG_8132.jpeg
    880.8 KB · Views: 57
I'd be extra careful with that type connector. If something metal falls on it, it could tear the boots and short out....... it wouldn't be pretty.

If that's what your set on I'd ensure to put a 60 amp resettable circuit breaker on the pos cable.

I use these..... Protection and you can't accidently hook up backwards and very safe from shorting. The connector could be easily mounted on the battery side of the rear storage tray and they sell a plastic plug that'll keep out foreign objects when not in use.

1719440947044.png

1719441015950.png

Sorry to raise a thread from the dead, but how are you using your compressor with the LC? I just picked up an 88P of my own and I've used one before on a conventional gas truck hooking up to the 12V battery under the hood, but the hybrid system is new territory. Are you using the underhood jump points or are you connecting directly to the battery in the back?

I just drove home with my new LC/LE 10 mins ago!

I plan on mounting the compressor behind the pass side trim panel in the cargo area. Running C/B protected wires under the floor to that area, installing a switch in the blank (under the air conditioner controls) and putting the air quick connect either in the battery compartment area (behind the trim panel) or in the rearmost storage tray.

I plan on mounting the compressor behind the pass side trim panel in the cargo area. Running C/B protected wires under the floor to that area, installing a switch in the blank (under the air conditioner controls) and putting the air quick connect either in the battery compartment area (behind the trim panel) or in the rearmost storage tray.
And you said it would take 3 weeks on the train! ;) Happy for you! Mine is on a truck somewhere between Chicago and Louisville. Any day now!

Congrats on finally getting it!

Post pics when you do this, I’d like to do something similar. I just have it in the bag right now and haven’t used it with the LC yet. 👍🏼

View attachment 3406
This is a great idea. I’m gonna see if mine fits in there. I have a viair too but not sure which model

Just saw that Viair is making an 88P, same dimensions, with an optional 7 pin connector plug, allowing you to connect it to the trailer power plug... still should fit in the the little rear cubby with a bit of trimming but no need to get to the battery or charge points under the hood

1721698570114.png

Just saw that Viair is making an 88P, same dimensions, with an optional 7 pin connector plug, allowing you to connect it to the trailer power plug... still should fit in the the little rear cubby with a bit of trimming but no need to get to the battery or charge points under the hood

View attachment 5606
That is very innovative of Viair! I applaud the creative thinking.

One thing I've never been able to figure out is the whole "Duty Cycle" thing. The 88P specs say 25 minutes at 30 PSI. What does that mean exactly?
  1. It'll run for 25 minutes before it needs a break?
  2. How long a break?
  3. What does the 30PSI have to do with it?
  4. What if I'm pumping my tires up to 38PSI?
This is why for the last Viair I bought for my LX570, I just went with a 100% Duty Cycle and therefore wouldn't have to figure any of this out.

After some removal of panels and a borescope, I have determined my original plan of mounting the Viair behind an interior trim panel wasn't the best option. I did find that there is a space in the engine compart that it will fit into almost perfectly. I'm in the process of building a mounting plate for it and will post the results on my "EOD Guy's Ride" thread.

Can the LC's external trailer 7-pin power plug support the 20A max power draw of the Viair 88P?

Back