USB-C Flash Drive for Music

bennettlo

📛 Founding Member
Jun 3, 2024
Media
PNW
Vehicles
'24 LC 1958
Has anyone successfully used a USB-C drive for music storage and which one worked?

I ordered one of these and formatted it as FAT32 (twice) and the car doesn’t recognize it at all. It could be I’m doing it wrong or the product isn’t compatible. I did read the manual, but it’s not working for me.

Amazon.com

Yes, my phone works great with Bluetooth, but I like a flash drive as well.

Thanks

Similar issue here. I am assuming the USB-C should function like the aux in. I record concerts and like to plug the recorder in for the ride home. Transfering to my phone for bluetooth connectivity would require traveling with a laptop which isn't feasible. I have a cable that converts the the stereo mini jack into a USB-C but see no way to use the USB-C up to this point. My salesrep also researching this for me.

Multimedia manual pages 137-138. Don’t know if it’s helpful or not.

Attachments

• IMG_4942.png
    IMG_4942.png
    607.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4943.png
    IMG_4943.png
    453.2 KB · Views: 70
Multimedia manual pages 137-138. Don’t know if it’s helpful or not.
Thank you, I did read through the manual. It seems like I'm doing the right things, but the drive isn't even visible. Before I just start ordering random drives off Amazon, I'd love to hear about a successful product.

Thank you, I did read through the manual. It seems like I'm doing the right things, but the drive isn't even visible. Before I just start ordering random drives off Amazon, I'd love to hear about a successful product.
Have you tried the default format and not fat32?

Did you use a Windows machine or a Mac to format the drive?

I tried a different (USB A) flash drive with an adapter to USB C, FAT32 is the default on the drive, went to source , clicked on USB and there it was. Awesome. The adapter looks like it is nothing special, it came with my laptop.

I tried a different (USB A) flash drive with an adapter to USB C, FAT32 is the default on the drive, went to source , clicked on USB and there it was. Awesome. The adapter looks like it is nothing special, it came with my laptop.
Keep in mind some adapters are charge only and some are data/charge.

This all sounds easy enough, but I’m an old guy, and am sure to screw this up. I use an Apple MBP with Apple silicon.

For a Mac, this should be the correct settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 12.30.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 12.30.11 PM.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 66
The Forum is good for a wide variety of stuff to learn, I have to admit I did not know this. I thought all adapters were the same. Thanks for the info.
Cables are the same. Some are charge only, some are charge and data.

As a follow-up, I never did get this 32GB USB-C drive to work in the car.

I bought one of these USB-A to C adaptors: Amazon.com

The car will recognize any of my existing (FAT or FAT32) USB-A drives with the adaptor. So, I’m using this compact 16GB USB-A with the adapter.

If someone finds a USB-C adaptor that works well please share. Otherwise I’m moving on with my life :)

So, the obvious reason to do this.. play music???

My guess is it's just like the old MP3 players. You upload folders of MP3's and you can play it right from the USB stick. Good for if you don't' want to use bluetooth or hook up your phone, etc..

Back