Upgraded my wheels and tires

bryansocutiepatootee

📛 Founding Member
Aug 7, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
LC250
Hello, good day to everyone. First of this is my first time setting up a suv(body on frame). This is my wifes Land Cruiser that I’m setting up. I put on a new set of wheels 18x9 0 offset and 275/70/18 toyo open country at3 tires. Now my problem are I’m having a rubbing issues front tire fender liner and bumper clips, If i invest in a suspension upgrade will the rubbing go away and have a better ride? Ride is now kinda bumpy not sure if its because of the E load tires. And when going 60+mph the car shakes but the steering wheel doesn’t vibrate. I can see the headrest vibrates. Maybe just a rebalance the tires? Any suggestions on a proper lift for long term and will not break the bank? Thanks and be gentle to me please. 😁
IMG_6182.jpeg
IMG_6207.jpeg
IMG_6206.jpeg

0 offset with a 275 is a pretty aggressive fitment.

Have they been balanced. Surely the place you bought them from can help?

They scratched my wheels and they don’t want do anything about it. Will try to bring it to other shop. Thinking of changing the tires to 265/70 maybe the rub will go away? Anyone looking for a new tires pm me 😁. Love the look and stance but don’t like the rub 😭
IMG_6196.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6197.jpeg
    IMG_6197.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 72
E load tires aren’t going to improve your ride that’s for sure.
Suspension upgrade or lift kit can only help with rubbing on the road. Lifts do not make wheel wells bigger, thus, your probably gonna rub if you full stuff/lock.
If I screwed up my wife’s ride like that… I’d probably admit to my mistake and get it back to original. That’s my suggestion.

I’m no expert but maybe trying those tires on the stock rims would solve the issue…and might be the path of least cost and frustration. My first guess would be that the wheels are the cause of the rub, rather than the tires. Good luck!

My stock wheels are 20”. 😭
Dang. As far as a lift that doesn’t break the bank, maybe the Westcott collar lift is worth a look…which is not a true suspension lift (and therefore criticized a lot online), but is better than some of the junk on the market…

That said, there are 2 potential concerns with the tires sticking out that far (poke)…1) tires hitting the fenders if you ever fully flex the suspension, and 2) the tires are likely going to spray debris all over the side, if/when you see any rain.

Lastly, the vibration at speed definitely seems like a balance issue…I actually had a bad tire once (Mickey Thompson Baja) on my 4RPro…the tire couldn't be balanced properly, so had to get a new one under warranty.

If you stick with an offset in the 40-60 range there shouldn’t be a problem with rubbing from what I’ve seen. Icon had a video saying 40 is ideal for upsizing tires, by 20 you’ll start having problems.

Quick and easy solution I'm seeing?

Throw those wheels on that 4runner right next to it, and swap wheels. The 0 offset will look good on that 4runner and the stock offset on those trd rims should give you some poke on the LC also

Offsets on those trd wheels was about +15 if I remember, much better than the 0 you've currently got

Back