updated center caps stock wheels

Anyone put these on 1958 wheels? Thinking about doing it but hoping to see someone that has done it first.

Ordered some of the bronze ones, those look nice. Planning to spray paint them with rustoleum metallic flat soft iron, that looks like an almost identical match to the top of the grill. Think i will 3d print a mask to paint them, will see how that goes.

The owners manual shows them just prying off from the outside

View attachment 5180
Can you offer the 3D mask to us if it works out for you?

So I ordered some, took them apart and painted them. I think they'll look sharp on my black FE. (left the middle one stock color)
Did you just paint by hand? Which paint did you match?

Ordered some of the bronze ones, those look nice. Planning to spray paint them with rustoleum metallic flat soft iron, that looks like an almost identical match to the top of the grill. Think i will 3d print a mask to paint them, will see how that goes.

The owners manual shows them just prying off from the outside

View attachment 5180

I finally got my caps in this morning, they were back ordered then I was travelling. Working on modeling a mask today, if I can get it lined up I will share it

On the back side there are two sets of prongs, the inner ring set have to be removed 1st. I placed a paper towel on my kitchen counter (stone) and used a small bladed screw driver (blade was just slightly smaller than the prong), placed the tip (from the center side) at a 30-40 degree angle to the prong and smacked it with a strong force (not a tap) with a small hammer, which started a dent/crease. Rotated the screwdriver to 90 degrees (straight up and down) and gave it 2-3 very hard whacks, burying the tip in the plastic (basically making some room for the prong to come out). I repeated this process for all the inner prongs. I then, with a small hammer, hit the prongs directly with a medium whack, you need to try and drive it straight down as many of them bent over and broke off flush (that wasn't really an issue). Repeat for all the inner prongs. At that point I could tell the disk was coming out and I inserted a larger screwdriver and attempted to pry the disk out. (be careful and don't pry too hard, the disk is flexible). The outer ring(bronze) was easily removed.

After painting and reassembly, I applied super glue to the prongs that had broken off.
One thing to be careful about, super glue fails at high temperatures.

Can you offer the 3D mask to us if it works out for you?
I gave up on the mask, my old resin printer is too janky to have enough precision to get the letters right.

Ended up breaking out the old mini paint brush and hand painting the letters, then found a spray paint can cap that was the perfect diameter to shield the outer ring to spray that with out the whole disassemble process.

Used Rust-Oleum flat soft iron spray paint, with a top layer of matte varnish to help protect it

Attachments

• PXL_20240804_173655286.jpg
    PXL_20240804_173655286.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 117
I gave up on the mask, my old resin printer is too janky to have enough precision to get the letters right.

Ended up breaking out the old mini paint brush and hand painting the letters, then found a spray paint can cap that was the perfect diameter to shield the outer ring to spray that with out the whole disassemble process.

Used Rust-Oleum flat soft iron spray paint, with a top layer of matte varnish to help protect it
If I may ask, what brand spray cap is “the perfect fit”?

If I may ask, what brand spray cap is “the perfect fit”?
I have a collection of old random cans, I think the one that fit was from a ~12 year old can of "Quick Color" but it could just be a random cap i have been hording. It needs to be 62-63mm in diameter

Anyone put these on 1958 wheels? Thinking about doing it but hoping to see someone that has done it first.
IMG_2726.jpeg

Here’s what they look like if anyone is interested. I like the copper with black LC. Getting black lugs on this week and then I think they’ll look really good. Might pick up the copper trim pieces for the interior at some point too: gear shifter surround and steering wheel.

Last edited:
Wanted to get these images out. I still have the rear two to do. Those have been kicking my butt with the removal tools…plus, loosing some light.
I have a meteor FE too and was looking to do this and put some 285/70R18 Recon Grapplers on. If I didn't swap the caps I was looking at '24 Tacoma TRD Pro wheels. So thank you for posting this!

View attachment 7626

Here’s what they look like if anyone is interested. I like the copper with black LC. Getting black lugs on this week and then I think they’ll look really good. Might pick up the copper trim pieces for the interior at some point too: gear shifter surround and steering wheel.
I ordered the same ones. Looks good.

Have a meteor shower FE and wanted to get rid of the Toyota logo on center caps and have it written out. Found these and guess what…they fit!!
Color is bronze, and I think it’s far enough away from any other color that they look great!
Thoughts?
This is the first upgrade on mine, thanks for sharing.

Back