Transmission overheating issue

Tomo

📛 Founding Member
Jun 21, 2024
NM & OR
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
I got bran new 2024 LC and pulled the airstream ( proximally 5000lb ) with 1000 lb in the vehicle.
I’m totally new to the off road world and transmition over heating warning came on
I kept driving about 0.8miles with mild unpaved road.

My question is do you think the transmission was damaged ?
If so what’s the procedure for the inspections?
Also if anyone knows what temperature if the sensor hits, the warning sign comes on ?

Thank you for your interest and
Hope to have joyful life to everyone owns LC !

Tomo

My mistake, the total of weights with the trailer and the vehicle would be 4500-5000lb.
And 0.8 miles of lightly unpaved road.

Your tranny probably isnt damaged it just was getting. Make sure you enabled tow haul mode and maybe 2ect?

On that note - does the LC have a transmission cooler? I would assume yes, but not sure.
Not a dedicated cooler, looks like it piggybacks the radiator.

1719495769137.png

Not familiar with this setup….so it would seem radiator fluid and antifreeze both circulate through that housing (separate of course). If that is correct, that should cool the radiator pretty well.
Yes, the ATF and coolant run through a water jacket in that small housing. The surface area for heat exchange isn't that big though. These are found on several other vehicles as well and work fine, but if you're towing often, I'd recommend getting an separate transmission cooler for longevity.

Got it - so just circulation in the small housing, not circulating through the entire radiator housing.
I guess we will see.
I would tow with my GX and a dedicated tranny cooler was necessary. Of course , 34” tires and Colorado passes didn’t help the problem.
I really hope this is going to tow a camper better.

So, this is my 2cents:
Your trailer weighs about 5000 pounds. That roughly equates to 500 to 750 pounds of "tongue weight."
You said you had about 1000 pounds in the vehicle.
If that is NOT including fuel, then add approximately 6 pounds per gallon of fuel. The vehicle has about 20 gallons of fuel for about 120 pounds of fuel.
The label attached to your driver's side door probably indicates about 1100 pounds of "load carrying capacity."
If it also has a "reduced sticker", then that probably subtracts about 150 pounds of capacity. This results in a total of about 950 pounds of carrying capacity. Keep in mind that that weight also includes people.

So: ~700 pounds of trailer "tongue weight"
120 pounds of fuel
2 people for maybe 300 pounds
1000 pounds of "in the vehicle weight"
For a total of around: 2120 pounds. If these weights are approximate, you are about 1,170 pounds over the capacity of the vehicle. IMO, you are very overloaded. I think what you are trying to haul is well beyond the capacity of the vehicle. Even though the vehicle is rated at around 6000 pounds of towing capacity, I wouldn't attempt to go over about 80% of that weight. Or about 4800 pounds or so with "everything."
Again, just my observation.
Lineman

What model of Airstream is it? I would be concerned about the tongue weight as well. Are you running a weight distribution hitch?

What model of Airstream is it? I would be concerned about the tongue weight as well. Are you running a weight distribution hitch?
Base camp x16 and box’s of moving stuff turned out were lighter than I was thinking. I keep recalculating the total weights, but it should be less than 5000lb.

So, this is my 2cents:
Your trailer weighs about 5000 pounds. That roughly equates to 500 to 750 pounds of "tongue weight."
You said you had about 1000 pounds in the vehicle.
If that is NOT including fuel, then add approximately 6 pounds per gallon of fuel. The vehicle has about 20 gallons of fuel for about 120 pounds of fuel.
The label attached to your driver's side door probably indicates about 1100 pounds of "load carrying capacity."
If it also has a "reduced sticker", then that probably subtracts about 150 pounds of capacity. This results in a total of about 950 pounds of carrying capacity. Keep in mind that that weight also includes people.

So: ~700 pounds of trailer "tongue weight"
120 pounds of fuel
2 people for maybe 300 pounds
1000 pounds of "in the vehicle weight"
For a total of around: 2120 pounds. If these weights are approximate, you are about 1,170 pounds over the capacity of the vehicle. IMO, you are very overloaded. I think what you are trying to haul is well beyond the capacity of the vehicle. Even though the vehicle is rated at around 6000 pounds of towing capacity, I wouldn't attempt to go over about 80% of that weight. Or about 4800 pounds or so with "everything."
Again, just my observation.
Lineman
Thank you lineman,
I will put that in my mind for future.

Base camp x16 and box’s of moving stuff turned out were lighter than I was thinking. I keep recalculating the total weights, but it should be less than 5000lb.

The base weight of the Base camp 16 is 2,650 pounds and a carry capacity of 850 pounds. Max weight on that trailer should be around 3500 pounds if it was fully loaded. (Specifications | Basecamp | Travel Trailers | Airstream)

Airstream claims the hitch weight to be at 410 pounds, but from my experience with Airstreams that number is always under rated. I would guess closer to 500 pounds. Can you shift any of the extra weight you carry in the vehicle to the trailer?

I have a hitch weigh scale to know exactly where I'm at. Something like this: Amazon.com

How can I get the secondary transmission cooler for 2024 LC on this setting?
Just about any repair shop would be able to install a Xmsn cooler in series with your current cooler. It is a very DIY install. The hardest part is deciding where to mount the cooler. The one below is pretty much a complete kit minus two wires for the temp switch. Xmsn coolers with a fan do NOT have to be mounted at the front of the vehicle. The only important requirement would be ..... unobstructed air passage .... you could mount it in any position as long as it can draw and expel air. As an example under the hood, under the body. Now if your a mudder, under body would not be my first choice. If driving in mud every once in a while, no big deal, just insure mud isn't caked up before you start towing.

W/O physically having hands on the vehicle, there seems to be plenty of areas above the skid plate for unobstructed air and protection from mud, gravel etc....

In addition, I recommend a second manual switch (key on) be incorporated. That way if the temp switch fails for any reason, you can flip the switch and still go about your trip.

1719508050421.png

Last edited:
Got it - so just circulation in the small housing, not circulating through the entire radiator housing.
I guess we will see.
I would tow with my GX and a dedicated tranny cooler was necessary. Of course , 34” tires and Colorado passes didn’t help the problem.
I really hope this is going to tow a camper better.
The small housing is an end tank and it contains engine coolant with a small transmission line inside of it, picture a small cooler inside of the tank that is cooled by the engine coolant which is then cooled by the air passing over the radiator fins.

A universal auxiliary external rad style trans cooler could easily be added to the line that goes into the main rad. I wouldn't recommend DIY if you are just learning how this all works, but any trans shop could do it for you.

The small housing is an end tank and it contains engine coolant with a small transmission line inside of it, picture a small cooler inside of the tank that is cooled by the engine coolant which is then cooled by the air passing over the radiator fins.

A universal auxiliary external rad style trans cooler could easily be added to the line that goes into the main rad. I wouldn't recommend DIY if you are just learning how this all works, but any trans shop could do it for you.
Thanks - makes sense.

I added an auxiliary cooler to my GX - no sweat.

Not familiar with this setup….so it would seem radiator fluid and antifreeze both circulate through that housing (separate of course). If that is correct, that should cool the radiator pretty well.

That style of “cooler” does a pretty shitty job.

If you plan to tow regularly plan to add a liquid to air finned plate style cooler on the return transmission line after the radiator puck hot liquid to slightly less hot liquid “cooler”.

Frankly towing near max rated on any vehicle is usually a good indicator that you need a bigger truck.

That style of “cooler” does a pretty shitty job.

If you plan to tow regularly plan to add a liquid to air finned plate style cooler on the return transmission line after the radiator puck hot liquid to slightly less hot liquid “cooler”.

Frankly towing near max rated on any vehicle is usually a good indicator that you need a bigger truck.
Why the “cooler” in quotes - that is what it does. Agreed, that a devoted system for the tranny fluid is better at “cooling”, but this system is a helluva lot better than not leaving the system at all.

That is why the LC. Much better transmission and torque numbers than the GX had. My trailer is only around 4000 when loaded to the gills.

Back