Transmission Overheating - anyone else?

It will if the transmission is constantly shifting. I got the one in my 99 lx470 pretty warm one time. I was on a gravel road with a speed right between 2 gears. I just moved my shifter down which solved the problem. The lx470 has a decent sized tranny cooler.
By “it should not overheat”, I mean it is not acceptable that it overheats, not that it will not occur. If the transmission is overheating going up hill on a paved road on the cars own weight, it should have been not rated to tow 6000 lbs, because it will overheat with that on a flat road with stop and go traffic.

If it is an excessive shifting issue, it will be a rather easy software fix that can make the transmission stick to a lower gear above a certain fluid temperature. Tow/haul mode or manual mode may also work until Toyota comes with a solution.

This person is observing something similar in terms of elevated transmission temps albeit not actually overheating.

And here seems to be another report of high transmission temps. Perhaps something is wrong with my transmission specifically but perhaps I am not unique with regards to this problem either.
Yes, I reported that on both threads and I absolutely think we are in the same boat here.

Everyday drive the temperatures are dead in the middle, no problems at all.
Slow speeds uphill on a gravel road and it went up. in my case I stopped before get to red.

I wouldn't mind drive on 4LO but the gear limitation is a problem.
The other suggestions to drive on tow/haul mode is a good one as well, and I'll try.

Also hope that at the end of the day is just a software thing and we all can breathe easier after a future update.

Yes, I reported that on both threads and I absolutely think we are in the same boat here.

Everyday drive the temperatures are dead in the middle, no problems at all.
Slow speeds uphill on a gravel road and it went up. in my case I stopped before get to red.

I wouldn't mind drive on 4LO but the gear limitation is a problem.
The other suggestions to drive on tow/haul mode is a good one as well, and I'll try.

Also hope that at the end of the day is just a software thing and we all can breathe easier after a future update.
I hope so too. Unfortunately driving in 4LO on a paved road is just not going to happen and is arguably unsafe given the gear/speed limitation. Even the gravel road would not be possible either, I would be backing up traffic forcing all the minivans and other vehicles to pass me in potentially unsafe conditions.

By “it should not overheat”, I mean it is not acceptable that it overheats, not that it will not occur. If the transmission is overheating going up hill on a paved road on the cars own weight, it should have been not rated to tow 6000 lbs, because it will overheat with that on a flat road with stop and go traffic.

If it is an excessive shifting issue, it will be a rather easy software fix that can make the transmission stick to a lower gear above a certain fluid temperature. Tow/haul mode or manual mode may also work until Toyota comes with a solution.
I don't know what excessive shifting would be here, but on a winding road with some switchbacks and relatively sharp turns that limit speeds to 40-45mph max, the vehicle is definitely working through gears have I work my way through the road. There is not much that can be done about that except trying tow/haul or sport mode I suppose.

I wanted to share my experience with the community in case others are having similar issues.

My Land Cruiser (1100 miles) is reporting overheated transmission fluid under certain conditions that my service center has been unable to replicate and therefore do anything about especially with the absence of any thrown codes.

On relatively slow (10-45 mph) winding paved and gravel roads that head up into the mountain near me, the transmission temp gauge gradually climbs to about 3/4 of the way to the red. If I continue on a dirt road that also puts the vehicle under load at slow speeds going up a hill the gauge will eventually hit the red and I will get a message that the transmission fluid temp is high and to pull over safely. This dirt road seems to be the trigger that actually overheats the transmission. The section of off-road trail is not tough trail and does not require low-range or even locking the center diff. Kias/Subarus have been on this part of road in the past.

I currently only able to read transmission temp sensor #1 from the ECU and between 245F and 250F the vehicle is overheated. At around 235 the gauge is 3/4 of the way towards the red. At one point I watched the temp gauge, in the span of about 4-5 seconds, go from blinking red (overheated) then drop to the middle point and then move back up to just below the red all while not moving.

As another data point, I am routinely in the 200F-215F while putzing around town which seems to be on the warm side however I do not really know what the expected normal operating temp is. I have also noticed that from about 130F to 215F the transmission temp gauge remains in the middle.

I am not able to replicate this issue while driving in the city or highway driving in the mountains.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar? I would be curious to know what temps others have been observing around town and under load like mountain or light off-road driving.
Change the oil

I think the water pump is the only thing that is belt driven, the fan and A/C are electric, and of course no alternator. At least from what I have read, which could be wrong.
Yeah I think I confused it with the oil pump.

I hope so too. Unfortunately driving in 4LO on a paved road is just not going to happen and is arguably unsafe given the gear/speed limitation. Even the gravel road would not be possible either, I would be backing up traffic forcing all the minivans and other vehicles to pass me in potentially unsafe conditions.

I don't know what excessive shifting would be here, but on a winding road with some switchbacks and relatively sharp turns that limit speeds to 40-45mph max, the vehicle is definitely working through gears have I work my way through the road. There is not much that can be done about that except trying tow/haul or sport mode I suppose.

My case there's no minivans, just some old diesel trucks going up the forest road like crazy fast.
4LO was reasonable on my 4Runner because it wasn't limited on gears.

Do you remember which mode (eco/normal/sport) you used ?
Because I'm almost sure my case was on ECO (4HI).
Not sure if would make any difference, but more for future reference.

My case there's no minivans, just some old diesel trucks going up the forest road like crazy fast.
4LO was reasonable on my 4Runner because it wasn't limited on gears.

Do you remember which mode (eco/normal/sport) you used ?
Because I'm almost sure my case was on ECO (4HI).
Not sure if would make any difference, but more for future reference.
Looking back I was in sport mode the first time and normal mode for the 2nd. The observed behavior was the same - transmission temps around 200-215 when starting on the winding paved road getting into the 230-235F range at the end of the paved and gravel road and then increasing from there on the trail/forest road until 240-250F

All this has me wondering if any SF Bay area folk have tried driving up Mount Hamilton or Mount Diablo. Those are both often slow and twisty ~4000 ft climbs.

Looking back I was in sport mode the first time and normal mode for the 2nd. The observed behavior was the same - transmission temps around 200-215 when starting on the winding paved road getting into the 230-235F range at the end of the paved and gravel road and then increasing from there on the trail/forest road until 240-250F
Driving around town, normal mode, 50 degrees, 45 min of driving got the tranny temp to 180 degrees.

Does your LC have any mods done to it such as bigger tires or suspension.

I’m curious how similar the LC is to the Tacoma in the transmission cooling department.

The temperatures were very high, but no “actual” problem.

I asked the service rep at the Stealership about them installing a Xmsn cooler, as to not void the warranty, he stated "no dice as the LC doesn't have a part number for one". I asked if they could install a cooler from another Toyota model, he stated "ask Toyota and if they say ok, then we will install one"............ had me pondering "Dude, you are Toyota"

I asked the service rep at the Stealership about them installing a Xmsn cooler, as to not void the warranty, he stated "no dice as the LC doesn't have a part number for one". I asked if they could install a cooler from another Toyota model, he stated "ask Toyota and if they say ok, then we will install one"............ had me pondering "Dude, you are Toyota"
W. T. F.

After owning a 5th Gen 4Runner for 9 years, I have to admit I wonder if any of this is actually an issue or not. When I first purchased the 4R I went back/forth between it and the GX460, mostly on the fence due to towing capabilities (3000# teardrop). After deciding on the 4R, I observed dozens (and dozens!) in the forums with ScanGauges perseverating over the "overly-high" temps, installing transmission coolers, etc. Fast-forward 9 years and my 4R still tows like crap like it did on Day One, and yet the transmission seems fine, even after 10's of minutes climbing mountain passes at 5000 rpm in 2nd gear. Anecdotally, I cannot recall seeing any issues with the 5th Gen transmission, despite how many of us have beaten the hell out of it.

Perhaps the LC250 will be turn out to be the same.

After owning a 5th Gen 4Runner for 9 years, I have to admit I wonder if any of this is actually an issue or not. When I first purchased the 4R I went back/forth between it and the GX460, mostly on the fence due to towing capabilities (3000# teardrop). After deciding on the 4R, I observed dozens (and dozens!) in the forums with ScanGauges perseverating over the "overly-high" temps, installing transmission coolers, etc. Fast-forward 9 years and my 4R still tows like crap like it did on Day One, and yet the transmission seems fine, even after 10's of minutes climbing mountain passes at 5000 rpm in 2nd gear. Anecdotally, I cannot recall seeing any issues with the 5th Gen transmission, despite how many of us have beaten the hell out of it.

I've come to the same conclusion. There is likely no problem here

This is about what I would expect. I have talked to both the dealership and I have a case open with Toyota. The dealership has told me they will do nothing until Toyota directs them to and Toyota has said they will do nothing until there is a code pulled or it is reproducible by the techs.

This would be fair except for the small detail that the vehicle itself is giving me the message that the transmission is overheated and that I need to pull over immediately. Aside from that and the burnt fluid smell that accompanies that message perhaps my 250 is indeed just fine.

I only pulled out the scan guage after the vehicle repeatedly showed the transmission temp was running hot or outright overheated. After using the scanguage, I now know that for temp sensor #1 from about 135-210F the temp gauge is in the middle and at 240-255F the vehicle reports the transmission as overheated with the temp gauge in the red and blinking along with the message and the burnt fluid smell.

This is about what I would expect. I have talked to both the dealership and I have a case open with Toyota. The dealership has told me they will do nothing until Toyota directs them to and Toyota has said they will do nothing until there is a code pulled or it is reproducible by the techs.

This would be fair except for the small detail that the vehicle itself is giving me the message that the transmission is overheated and that I need to pull over immediately. Aside from that and the burnt fluid smell that accompanies that message perhaps my 250 is indeed just fine.

I only pulled out the scan guage after the vehicle repeatedly showed the transmission temp was running hot or outright overheated. After using the scanguage, I now know that for temp sensor #1 from about 135-210F the temp gauge is in the middle and at 240-255F the vehicle reports the transmission as overheated with the temp gauge in the red and blinking along with the message and the burnt fluid smell.
No, that's fair, I wasn't so much referring to you as the OP with an actual message from the vehicle, but that isolated occurrences will of course happen, and what a ScanGauge reports for someone without a message isn't necessarily a problem. Time will tell.

Reactions: Don
Back