Toyota connectivity issues during remote travel

Don

📛 Founding Member
Jul 27, 2024
Media
Chicago
Vehicles
LC250
I had problems with Toyota media player software that constantly cycled me out of Carplay to display to display an authorization error. 3G vehicle connectivity isn't good enough for Toyota to fix any account/software problems. My media player connectivity started to throw authorization errors when out of good cell coverage for a week. Excellent internet connectivity from starlink to the app doesn't matter. The vehicle needs to be on a better than 3G cell service for Toyota to fix an issue..

I had to drive to a town with modern cell service so Toyota could fix the problem. Support was excellent, including quick escalation to higher level tech support. At least on a weekday.

The seed of my problem was probably getting the new iphone a few days before leaving. The Toyota app still work, but I lost unknowingly lost my digital key in the app. So I think the bottom line is to be sure to download a digital key before venturing off grid, even if there is no plan to use it. I suspect the vehicle would have been happier off the cell network if it say the key in my app.

For people struggling to get the digital key downloaded it's worth contacting Toyota support to get it sorted out. Also, buy a couple of CR2450 key fob batteries and keep in the glovebox.

I had problems with Toyota media player software that constantly cycled me out of Carplay to display to display an authorization error. 3G vehicle connectivity isn't good enough for Toyota to fix any account/software problems. My media player connectivity started to throw authorization errors when out of good cell coverage for a week. Excellent internet connectivity from starlink to the app doesn't matter. The vehicle needs to be on a better than 3G cell service for Toyota to fix an issue..

I had to drive to a town with modern cell service so Toyota could fix the problem. Support was excellent, including quick escalation to higher level tech support. At least on a weekday.

The seed of my problem was probably getting the new iphone a few days before leaving. The Toyota app still work, but I lost unknowingly lost my digital key in the app. So I think the bottom line is to be sure to download a digital key before venturing off grid, even if there is no plan to use it. I suspect the vehicle would have been happier off the cell network if it say the key in my app.

For people struggling to get the digital key downloaded it's worth contacting Toyota support to get it sorted out. Also, buy a couple of CR2450 key fob batteries and keep in the glovebox.
First off I thought 3G was deprecated. Second a digital key is absolutely worthless with no cell service as it has to reach back to touch the backend servers. The digital key is worthless overall. I’ve been attempting to use it since 2020 and it has been problematic and has not improved And this is over three different vehicles.

First off I thought 3G was deprecated. Second a digital key is absolutely worthless with no cell service as it has to reach back to touch the backend servers. The digital key is worthless overall. I’ve been attempting to use it since 2020 and it has been problematic and has not improved And this is over three different vehicles.

"First of all", the app with a digital key installed makes a bluetooth connection to the vehicle so that it can work with the vehicle not connected to cell service.

Back in the day we just carried a spare physical key when traveling. I never downloaded the app and declined all connected services when taking possession. I seem to have a lot of free time that I don’t have to spend monkeying around with settings, dealer visits, resets etc.

Back in the day we just carried a spare physical key when traveling. I never downloaded the app and declined all connected services when taking possession. I seem to have a lot of free time that I don’t have to spend monkeying around with settings, dealer visits, resets etc.
The biggest advantage of the app for many people is remote start. I live in a winter area and have a detached garage. It's better for me and the vehicle if I can start it remotely.

The other advantage is another bluetooth key in addition to the key FOBs. This area is still problematic for Toyota, but I've gotten it to work. I've also accidentally set off the car alarm, which I was surprised to learn includes the audio system screeching at full volume.

Back