To Wrap or Not to wrap

Muddygriff

📛 Founding Member
Aug 29, 2024
Chicago Suburbs
Vehicles
Lancruiser
Hello All. Curious on how many folks do PDF wraps. Are you supposed to avoid car washes if it’s wrapped? I don’t mind washing in warmer weather, but winter not so much. Thoughts on types of wraps? Matte? Brands? At this point I don’t know what I don’t know about this!

Hello All. Curious on how many folks do PDF wraps. Are you supposed to avoid car washes if it’s wrapped? I don’t mind washing in warmer weather, but winter not so much. Thoughts on types of wraps? Matte? Brands? At this point I don’t know what I don’t know about this!
IMG_8106.jpeg
I put PPF on the whole car. Wrapped the roof in gloss black. The thing with matte wraps is shows everything and doesn’t have the uv resistance like gloss. As for car washes I run mine through twice a week. Try to use a touchless.

I wrapped the entire vehicle in XPEL Ultimate Fusion PPF which is infused with ceramic coating from the factory so you don’t have to apply it in a separate step. In the past I had my vehicles wrapped with traditional PPF and then had the ceramic coating applied on top of the PPF.

So far I’m very happy with the results with the Ultimate Fusion PPF. The surface clarity of the paint is really good and it cleans up extremely easily (entire vehicle as well as spot cleaning). My detailer said that automatic car washes wouldn’t be a problem and indicated that the self healing properties of the PPF when exposed to sunlight/heat would heal most swirls that might occur. Obviously hand washing would be far more preferable, but many people don’t have the time to do so.

Ultimately, time will tell how the infused PPF will compare with the traditional method but I’m cautiously optimistic.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    476.3 KB · Views: 53
Ok, that’s great info. Would you mind sharing the rough cost of doing that, or sharing a link to the place that did the work?

I'm wanting to wrap in a matte white or matte olive green myself. Be nice if the LC was offered in a larger variety of colors

Ok, that’s great info. Would you mind sharing the rough cost of doing that, or sharing a link to the place that did the work?
I take all my vehicles to JK2 Detailing (JK2 Auto Paint Protection & Detailing | Spokane & Spokane Valley, WA) and they always do a fantastic job. I’m not going to lie when I tell you that this was very costly (approximately $7500), but keep in mind that it was the entire vehicle, it was the PPF with ceramic coating infused, and had to be fit into their schedule on short notice.

As long as it holds up and keeps the factory paint mint, seems like a decent value. Particularly if you really want to change the color or finish

I was given a quote of $13,000 for the entire vehicle. I did not move forward with that quote.

I would only wrap to change the look. The economics of wrapping for protection are poor.

I saw a stealth wrap on the blue and it looked great

Back