Newbie advice for taking care of car

Would this protect from, at least to some degree, brush scrapes? I see the value in PPF especially from highway gravel being thrown up and dinging the vehicle frontal area, especially with a white color.
Yes it would protect from brush scrapes / gravel to a degree. It's just a plastic film and depending on the size of the brush and the force of the scrape it could overcome the thickness of the film. But the damage wouldn't be as bad as no film. The film can be replaced, but if it's been on there for many years (mine have) it's difficult to remove without heat treatment and chemicals.

Over time the edges may start to yellow/darken (I think this is from tiny dirt particles leaching under the edges). In the beginning, I was very diligent about toothbrush cleaning, sealing wax etc.......... now...... doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
1) Follow the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual
2) Park it in a garage
3) Keep it clean
4) Listen to what the vehicle is telling you (note changes in sounds, on road manners, vibrations, etc).

2) Park it in a garage
3) Keep it clean
4) Listen to what the vehicle is telling you (note changes in sounds, on road manners, vibrations, etc).

and #2 and #3 are optional 😁

2) Park it in a garage
3) Keep it clean
In regard to oil changes, I highly recommend exceeding the schedule in the manual. 2K initial, and every 5K/6months thereafter, whichever arrives first.

and #2 and #3 are optional 😁

UV and heat cycling is a killer when it comes to breakdown of rubber bits inside and outside of the car.

Keeping your car clean means that you don't have junk building up that hides and creates potential problems. Get it dirty, but clean it after you are finished getting it dirty. My 18 years as a manufacturing engineer has drilled into my head the 5S concept of shop floor management. "Seiso" or "Shine" is the 3rd step. You easily can see emerging problems or concern areas when a cleaned condition is maintained.

UV and heat cycling is a killer when it comes to breakdown of rubber bits inside and outside of the car.

Keeping your car clean means that you don't have junk building up that hides and creates potential problems. Get it dirty, but clean it after you are finished getting it dirty. My 18 years as a manufacturing engineer has drilled into my head the 5S concept of shop floor management. "Seiso" or "Shine" is the 3rd step. You easily can see emerging problems or concern areas when a cleaned condition is maintained.
Applying chemicals often to keep plastic/vinyl bits shiny can actually harm the plastic more than help it, especially the wrong chemicals! IMO ..... Mild cleaners and a good ole' fashioned toothbrush and vacuum cleaner work best.

Applying chemicals often to keep plastic/vinyl bits shiny can actually harm the plastic more than help it, especially the wrong chemicals! IMO ..... Mild cleaners and a good ole' fashioned toothbrush and vacuum cleaner work best.
Shine in 5S means just keeping the area clean; not literally shining up the interior.

I use mild cleaners and microfiber cloth. I avoid anything greasy or overly shiny. Quick wipe down every month or so is enough to keep stuff from building up.

Shine in 5S means just keeping the area clean; not literally shining up the interior.

I use mild cleaners and microfiber cloth. I avoid anything greasy or overly shiny. Quick wipe down every month or so is enough to keep stuff from building up.
I knew what you meant :cool: , production shops are a very different animal than interiors.

I knew what you meant :cool: , production shops are a very different animal than interiors.
Definitely different than interiors... but the moving bits under the truck and under the hood aren't all that different. Torn CV joint boots, caked up mud or salt settling in the frame or in suspension joints or brake lines. Keeping the mechanical bits of the truck halfway clean does 2 things. The first is when something starts leaking, it leaks to a clean garage floor and is easier to detect. The 2nd is that cleaning those areas mean that you are regularly inspecting those areas. The regular inspection is built into the process of cleaning.

Definitely different than interiors... but the moving bits under the truck and under the hood aren't all that different. Torn CV joint boots, caked up mud or salt settling in the frame or in suspension joints or brake lines. Keeping the mechanical bits of the truck halfway clean does 2 things. The first is when something starts leaking, it leaks to a clean garage floor and is easier to detect. The 2nd is that cleaning those areas mean that you are regularly inspecting those areas. The regular inspection is built into the process of cleaning.
You are preaching to the Choir. I'll stand by, Improper chemicals do more harm than good.

Back