Tire upgrades on 20 in. rims?

kdirks

đź“› Founding Member
Jun 28, 2024
Media
Austin, TX
Vehicles
24 Land Cruiser Premium
Has anyone upgraded from the Dunlops to a more trail worthy tire on the optional 20 in. rims? If so could you please post pics and initial impressions?

I currently have a LC Premium w/20 inchers sitting in the Port of Portland. The first thing I plan on doing is upgrading the tires to KO2s, Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws or Toyo Open Country IIIs. I want the three peak mountain snowflake designation and that severely limits my options, particularly when compared to 18 in rims.

I have an LC Premium on order and was looking at possible Michelin Defender LTX Platinums as an option for me when the time comes. Its a new tire from Michelin. So far good reviews. Not 3-peak snowflake though so likely does not fit your needs.

Watching this for options. Most likely going to 18's for the extra cushioning and maybe some weight savings but curious about better 20" ideas.

I got 20” rims and our replacement will be Nokian nAT
The tires have an Aramid sidewall like Kevlar. My F250 has Goodyear Kevlar tires and those tires, I feel, have saved me some serious tire damage on Interstate 40. So, I’m sold on the Nokians.

I have an LC Premium on order and was looking at possible Michelin Defender LTX Platinums as an option for me when the time comes. Its a new tire from Michelin. So far good reviews. Not 3-peak snowflake though so likely does not fit your needs.
Looking at Michelin defenders for my 18 inch wheels too. Have heard too reviews on it being an awesome all around wheel.

Has anyone upgraded from the Dunlops to a more trail worthy tire on the optional 20 in. rims? If so could you please post pics and initial impressions?

I currently have a LC Premium w/20 inchers sitting in the Port of Portland. The first thing I plan on doing is upgrading the tires to KO2s, Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws or Toyo Open Country IIIs. I want the three peak mountain snowflake designation and that severely limits my options, particularly when compared to 18 in rims.
If I decide to settle for 20" wheels, I'm seriously considering the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T in 275/60R20 standard load. It's one of the lighter options (47 lbs, about the same as the Nokian in that size). Supposed to be really good in snow and reasonably good in rain. And in what other size is that tire a low weight option, it's usually way heavier! Only 2 ply sidewall in this size, it's their lighter "SUV" version, and as @Lineman points out the Nokian may well have a better sidewall, Nokian guarantees it against damage.

Thanks Lineman, after looking at the Nokians they are on the list. I think it will come down to them and the Falkens.

I also plan on running the 275/60R20 Baja Boss SL just was hoping someone tried to make sure it fits in the spare location since I need to run 5. Believe it’s around 33.4. They should be great in the snow and that’s super important heading to the UP snowmobiling 2 weeks a year.

Also seriously considering the Defender Plat for my 20" wheels. But, I am looking to mount the 275/65R20 on them instead of the 60's.

Photo of 275/60R20 K02's on the 20" wheels that someone @Michael_Oregon sent me (not my LC or photo):

IMG_9582r.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting my photo. I’m pretty happy with the look. A bit stiff on the road but I know they are very capable. They look bigger in person. FYI.
Ah so you've joined us! Welcome! I had to "export as jpg" before the web site would accept it for some reason.

Also seriously considering the Defender Plat for my 20" wheels. But, I am looking to mount the 275/65R20 on them instead of the 60's.
I was looking at the 275s too but they would be about 1.5" larger tire in diameter than the 265s. (32.5" vs 34.05"). Hopefully they would fit???...it will be awhile down the road for me to first get my LC and then switch out the tires.

Has anyone put a 285/60 (33.5 x 11.2) on the 20's yet? Curious about rubbing and whether the spare will fit.

Thanks for posting my photo. I’m pretty happy with the look. A bit stiff on the road but I know they are very capable. They look bigger in person. FYI.
Any pictures from the side and front/back? Kinda hard to get a good feel for what they look like on the slanted photo.

Back