Tire Upgrade ?

So you are getting that much flex with a 1958 with the sway bar connected? The swaybar disconnect is one of the big things pushing me to the mid trim.
I actually think the front has very little articulation with the sway bar connected. I was lifting the front tires easily on off camber situations. The rear has good amount of flex.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240822-190255.png
    Screenshot_20240822-190255.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 167
I actually think the front has very little articulation with the sway bar connected. I was lifting the front tires easily on off camber situations. The rear has good amount of flex.
Ahhh ok. Guess Land Cruiser trim it is then.

Ahhh ok. Guess Land Cruiser trim it is then.
That's on disappointment in the trims. Everyone who buys the 1958 to build on wants the disconnected. But doesn't the mid trim have ultrasonic sensors in the bumpers?

That's on disappointment in the trims. Everyone who buys the 1958 to build on wants the disconnected. But doesn't the mid trim have ultrasonic sensors in the bumpers?
Especially where it was marketed as the build your own off road rig etc. I get it if they didn’t want to do MTS but the SDM would have been great. It’s definitely a key off-road feature. Big miss in my opinion.

Icon did a nice video comparing and fitting different sizes

I think he's making the point that Methods +25 offset on LC wheels is unnecessary if one wants the wheels inside the fender as much as possible. Although 40mm to 25mm is only a 6/10 inch.

I think he's making the point that Methods +25 offset on LC wheels is unnecessary if one wants the wheels inside the fender as much as possible. Although 40mm to 25mm is only a 6/10 inch.
Also that at around 20mm you're in danger of a larger tire hitting the fender, in addition to spraying gravel down the side.

This video came up on my feed--might be helpful, especially for swapping 18" OEM tires to 285/75/18. As a spare, wonder if using a skinny/narrow 35" tire 17" or 18" rim would be a solve? You'd only us it temporarily until your flat's fixed...

As a spare, wonder if using a skinny/narrow 35" tire 17" or 18" rim would be a solve?
It would still really impact departure angle. Even a 33" 285 that fits in the spare space isn't ideal.

For 35", a receiver mount that is removed during some months of the year will likely be the most common. 35" has a lot of impact for only increasing tire height 1 1/2".

Method has wheels on sale now, although a lot of Toyota sizes are sold out.

I ended up going with the 18" Toyota TRD wheels with some Falken Wildpeak AT4W in 285/65/R18 (SL). I started with the E-Load 265/70/R18 but they rode stiff enough to correct for my personal taste. I also tried the Method 703's in 17" with AT4W's (SL) and KO3's (C) in approximately the same size. If anyone is interested I'm selling my factory OEM 20's with wheel/tire/sensors. Also selling the 17" Method 703's. Black "Toyota" center caps and bumper covers coming!!

IMG_1342.jpg

I ended up going with the 18" Toyota TRD wheels with some Falken Wildpeak AT4W in 285/65/R18 (SL). I started with the E-Load 265/70/R18 but they rode stiff enough to correct for my personal taste. I also tried the Method 703's in 17" with AT4W's (SL) and KO3's (C) in approximately the same size. If anyone is interested I'm selling my factory OEM 20's with wheel/tire/sensors. Also selling the 17" Method 703's. Black "Toyota" center caps and bumper covers coming!!

View attachment 9755
Curious why you went with Toyota 18” wheels versus 17” method wheels?

And for the KO3 C load tires what did you think? Did they also feel too stiff compared to the SL Falkens?

I’m still trying to figure out my eventual wheel/tire upgrade and am torn between Falken AT4W C-load versus BFG KO3 E-loads in 285/75/17.

Last edited:
Curious why you went with Toyota 18” wheels versus 17” method wheels?

And for the KO3 C load tires what did you think? Did they also feel too stiff compared to the SL Falkens?

I’m still trying to figure out my eventual wheel/tire upgrade and am torn between Falken AT4W C-load versus BFG KO3 E-loads in 285/75/17.
I personally liked the look of the TRD wheels better than the Method 703's once they were on the vehicle. Just a slight difference in offset and I still got the look I was going for. The Methods were amazing wheels - Just personal choice more or less.

The C rated KO3's were a nightmare to balance - We got decent road force numbers at the cost of excessive weight per tire. I had the same exact issues with my KO2's on the Raptor and BFG is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.... I think they look amazing but hated the wet performance (KO2's) and balancing issues with both.

I wish you luck in your journey - its a tough one!
Those Falken AT4W's you quoted are 68 pounds per tire at 34x11.5"- You will feel that on this vehicle. I would strongly suggest anyone that has 80-90% pavement driving go with C rated (6ply) or lower. On smooth pavement the E rated tires felt fine - but most roads around here aren't perfect by any means.

Hope this helps!

I personally liked the look of the TRD wheels better than the Method 703's once they were on the vehicle. Just a slight difference in offset and I still got the look I was going for. The Methods were amazing wheels - Just personal choice more or less.

The C rated KO3's were a nightmare to balance - We got decent road force numbers at the cost of excessive weight per tire. I had the same exact issues with my KO2's on the Raptor and BFG is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.... I think they look amazing but hated the wet performance (KO2's) and balancing issues with both.

Those Falken AT4W's you quoted are 68 pounds per tire at 34x11.5"- You will feel that on this vehicle. I would strongly suggest anyone that has 80-90% pavement driving go with C rated (6ply) or lower. On smooth pavement the E rated tires felt fine - but most roads around here aren't perfect by any means.

Hope this helps!
I like the setup you are running. It looks fantastic. Off topic question, how has it been coming from the Raptor to the LC? Current DD is a '22 37pp Raptor. I love it, but it cant fit on some of the back trails I routinely tread. Any huge regrets moving on from the Raptor?

Hope this helps!
Thanks @Honeybadger this is very helpful! I really want a C load tire for my eventual wheel/tire/suspension upgrades. I feel like a C load is a good compromise of durability and on road drivability.

You’re correct those 34” C-Load Falken AT4W’s are 68 pounds 😬 I wish they were just 6-8 pounds lighter. I still don’t understand why their C-load tires are the same weight (if not slightly more) than their E-load versions?

Good to know on your KO3 feedback. I really like the look of them but it sounds like even the C-loads were hard to balance and didn’t ride great.

The only other two All Terrain C-load tire options in 285/75/17 are the Toyo AT3 (59 pounds) or the Nitto Ridge Grappler (65 pounds). Both are lighter than the Falken at 68 pounds.

I like the Falken AT4W’s for all their on-road and off-road characteristics and I like the 3-ply Duraspec sidewalls and the looks. I just don’t like the weight.

I like the Toyo AT3’s for good road manners but IMHO they don’t look as good as the Falkens, BFG’s, or Nittos.

And I feel like the Nitto’s might be a little too loud (road noise) and aggressive (tread pattern) for what I need (mostly on road with some off road)?

A real Goldilocks situation!

This video came up on my feed--might be helpful, especially for swapping 18" OEM tires to 285/75/18. As a spare, wonder if using a skinny/narrow 35" tire 17" or 18" rim would be a solve? You'd only us it temporarily until your flat's fixed...

You can count out 5-tire rotations in that case too.

I like the setup you are running. It looks fantastic. Off topic question, how has it been coming from the Raptor to the LC? Current DD is a '22 37pp Raptor. I love it, but it cant fit on some of the back trails I routinely tread. Any huge regrets moving on from the Raptor?
I’m a Toyota die hard as I’ve had great reliability over the years with them. I didn’t have the best of luck with my Raptor and I only owned it for 3 years and 60k miles before moving back to Toyota. Looks wise - The Raptor is tough to beat. The Raptor has a spacious cab but lacks the conditioned trunk and it doesn’t fit in the garage. The LC is so new to me that I will need some time with it before making a good personal comparison. So far - I love it

Latest Discussions

Back