Tire Upgrade ?

After a lot of back and forth settled for some Falken Wildpeak AT4W OEM size, SL load range
Trying to keep the best everyday comfort, MPG and give that extra winter and offroad capabilities. And of course, the looks.

Still hard to believe Toyota shipped this cars with all seasons.

View attachment 8313View attachment 8312
Looks great. How would you describe the change in feel and noise at highway speed in these 265 SL-rated Wildpeaks vs. the Michelin set it came with? I gave up my C-rated Wildpeaks with 4Runner trade and now love the concrete drive of these Michelins but know that limits driving flexibility and agree the Wildpeaks look way better. I may go 275 but then get stuck in E rating which I don’t want or need. Thanks

After a lot of back and forth settled for some Falken Wildpeak AT4W OEM size, SL load range
Trying to keep the best everyday comfort, MPG and give that extra winter and offroad capabilities. And of course, the looks.

And what did you think in terms of comfort, noise, and mpg vs the oem wheels?

Looks like a great tire, how is the road noise and the ride? I have heard from a few people that it is much better than they thought on the highway and I agree I was surprised that Toyota didn’t go with Toyo Open Country or something slightly more aggressive too.

Looks great. How would you describe the change in feel and noise at highway speed in these 265 SL-rated Wildpeaks vs. the Michelin set it came with? I gave up my C-rated Wildpeaks with 4Runner trade and now love the concrete drive of these Michelins but know that limits driving flexibility and agree the Wildpeaks look way better. I may go 275 but then get stuck in E rating which I don’t want or need. Thanks
I really wanted to keep SL rated for the same reason, I absolutely have zero reasons for a C rated or higher tire.
I wanted 275 or something bigger but the SL was a must but limiting at the same time.

Overall is a tighter ride. I just have 50 miles in so early to tell. for now hear a bit more tire noise. nothing crazy.
Also 35 psi all around. I need to bring it down to 33.

Looks like a great tire, how is the road noise and the ride? I have heard from a few people that it is much better than they thought on the highway and I agree I was surprised that Toyota didn’t go with Toyo Open Country or something slightly more aggressive too.
More than stock, but nothing terrible.
My wife have general grabbers on her truck and is annoying.

Thanks for posting the picture... exactly what I am aiming for on my rig
IMG_5497.jpeg

A/T4W in stock 265/70 r18 SL size here. I have about 800 miles on them. They've been great. There's a low AT tire hum at speeds above 45mph, but nothing offensive. I think they are a little taller than the stock tires, but I don't have any data to back that up (specs say they are identical). They looks awesome, and worked well for my mild off-roading. They look even better once you get them covered in dirt too.

I also chose the wildpeaks because of their reputation for winter driving in the mountains. So I'll report back on that when the time comes!

They are pretty heavy, so I'm feeling like i can blame up 2mpg loss on them, but that's entirely just my feelings and again, not based on any data.

IMG_8914.jpeg

Last edited:
A/T4W in stock 265/70 r18 SL size here. I have about 800 miles on them. They've been great. There's a low AT tire hum at speeds above 45mph, but nothing offensive. I think they are a little taller than the stock tires, but I don't have any data to back that up (specs say they are identical). They looks awesome, and worked well for my mild off-roading.

They are pretty heavy, so I'm feeling like i can blame up 2mpg loss on them, but that's entirely just my feelings and again, not based on any data.
Next week I should be able to do a good mpg comparison on my usual morning commute.
I like to believe the rotating mass will help the regenerative braking 😅

I think they are a little taller than the stock tires, but I don't have any data to back that up (specs say they are identical)

I still have the old tires and compared it side by side and the height about the same (granted its not mounted and with the car load, so we can assume is a bit taller)

IMG_5516.jpeg

But the difference that impressed me was the tire thread width:

IMG_5514.jpeg

IMG_5518.jpeg

it's nearly a full inch wider!

Will discount tire install 275 on the 2024 Landcruiser? Website is saying they will only sell me 245's......

I really wanted to keep SL rated for the same reason, I absolutely have zero reasons for a C rated or higher tire.
I wanted 275 or something bigger but the SL was a must but limiting at the same time.

Overall is a tighter ride. I just have 50 miles in so early to tell. for now hear a bit more tire noise. nothing crazy.
Also 35 psi all around. I need to bring it down to 33.
Nice, many owners replacing tires would be better off with SL tires:

I'm personally a bit concerned by the fact that the sipes appear to be only about 1/3 of the actual thread block depth on the AT4W. That wet and snow traction they're known for will take a heavy hit once the tires wear down past the sipes...

I'm personally a bit concerned by the fact that the sipes appear to be only about 1/3 of the actual thread block depth on the AT4W. That wet and snow traction they're known for will take a heavy hit once the tires wear down past the sipes...
In my experience, most pure off road AT tires have pretty bad pure ice traction to start with. I stopped using them since it becomes an issue in winter. They simply do not have enough tire area that is in contact with the surface due to large and wide treads.

If it becomes a problem down the line, I’ll just buy new ones. Or buy some winters and finish off the AT4W’s in the summer. Don’t get much winter here in SW Ontario any more. If I were in Ottawa, I’d run winters from the start.

Back