Tire (and a few wheel) options spreadsheet

Markarian421

πŸ“› Founding Member
Mar 8, 2024
Media
SFBay CA
Vehicles
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2023 Volvo S60 T8
I see people hunting for this spreadsheet, maybe it should have a post of its own. (But also please see/search the Tire Upgrade thread!)

I started compiling info on tire options while waiting for a Land Cruiser, shared the spreadsheet, and people say it's helpful. So here you go. This spreadsheet is heavily biased toward my own preferences: heavy duty all terrain off-road tires with three peak winter ratings that will fit on the stock Toyota rims. Something you can drive on the highway and also take off-road regularly without destroying it. I've added a few lighter duty 18" tires, but this is by no means comprehensive. If you're looking for the best off-peak rock crawling tires, you'll probably want a mud terrain or other non-three peak tire. If you want an on road tire that only occasionally takes on some gravel roads, most of these might be overkill.

I've also added new tabs with a few 18" wheel options, a few tire options for the 20" stock wheel, and a few winter tire options at the bottom of the tire sheets.

If you try a tire, especially an upsized tire, and it fits with no rub turning, at full flex, and/or in the US spare tire location (or if it doesn't!) please let me know and I'll update the spreadsheet. Likewise if new tire sizes or load ratings come out let me know! I'm really hoping we'll have more C load options in 275/70R18 soon!

Last edited:
My own answers to the question "what tire will you get?"

For the stock 18" wheel, if I can get that, right now I'm thinking Duratrac RT's or Nokian Outpost nAT's in stock 265/70R18 size and standard load just to keep the weight down. If there was a good light C load option in 275/70R18 I would do that instead. If I wasn't concerned about weight I'd go with the KO3 in 275/70R18.

If I were to get stuck with 20" wheels I would not be able to resist going with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T in standard load.

But I change my mind on all this at least twice a week . . .

Someone pointed out (and it was obvious when I sorted tires by weight!) that the General Tire Grabber A/TX is about the only "Off-Road AT" tire available in 33.2" 275/70R18 in standard load and the same weight range as the stock size standard load off-road tires. Maybe an option if you want a slightly upsized tire but stay on the lighter end? It's only 2 ply sidewall though, vs. the Nokian's Kevlar-like 2 ply sidewall that comes with a damage replacement guarantee and the Duratrac RT's with a three ply Kevlar sidewall.

Thanks for your spreadsheet. Helped me decide to go with Duratrac RTs 265/70R 18 SL on my stock 1958 wheels. As Van Morrison sang: "This might be the perfect fit".

Attachments

• 20240827_100344.jpg
    20240827_100344.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 20240827_100443.jpg
    20240827_100443.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20240827_101701.jpg
    20240827_101701.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 133
I see people hunting for this spreadsheet, maybe it should have a post of its own. (But also please see/search the Tire Upgrade thread!)

I started compiling info on tire options while waiting for a Land Cruiser, shared the spreadsheet, and people say it's helpful. So here you go. This spreadsheet is heavily biased toward my own preferences: heavy duty all terrain off-road tires with three peak winter ratings that will fit on the stock Toyota rims. Something you can drive on the highway and also take off-road regularly without destroying it. I've added a few lighter duty 18" tires, but this is by no means comprehensive. If you're looking for the best off-peak rock crawling tires, you'll probably want a mud terrain or other non-three peak tire. If you want an on road tire that only occasionally takes on some gravel roads, most of these might be overkill.

I've also added new tabs with a few 18" wheel options, a few tire options for the 20" stock wheel, and a few winter tire options at the bottom of the tire sheets.

If you try a tire, especially an upsized tire, and it fits with no rub turning, at full flex, and/or in the US spare tire location (or if it doesn't!) please let me know and I'll update the spreadsheet. Likewise if new tire sizes or load ratings come out let me know! I'm really hoping we'll have more C load options in 275/70R18 soon!

Went to 4WP over the weekend. They stated to do a 1.5" ready lift on the front for level and install Nitto LT285/70R18 Ridge Grappler tires and to make it look good put on Method wheels 305NV 18x9 with 6 on 5.5. But yes they said no rubbing on the 285/70's

Went to 4WP over the weekend. They stated to do a 1.5" ready lift on the front for level and install Nitto LT285/70R18 Ridge Grappler tires and to make it look good put on Method wheels 305NV 18x9 with 6 on 5.5. But yes they said no rubbing on the 285/70's
What offset on the Method wheels? Icon did a video suggesting a 40 offset will fit 285's better than the stock offset. But that 25 or less risks running into the fender under flex.

Such a great resource, thank you very, very much, @Markarian421 ! Tire and wheel weights are important considerations for me along with performance metrics, so I am going with stock-size Toyo Open Country A/T III SL on the OEM FE wheels (265/70 R18 on 18 x 7.5). Tempted by the Falken Wildpeak A/T4W, but 7 lbs. more per tire in same size does not merit the minor performance bump for me. Just my two, uninformed cents. Thanks again for the spreadsheet -- allowed me to make a decision with a lot more clarity of information and purpose.

I just replaced my stock 20" Toyota wheels with 18" Black Rhino Alpha rims and Falken Wildpeak A/T4W tires. I really like the upgraded look. Here are particulars and pictures. Ordered through Discount Tire.

Tires - FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T4W 265 /70 R18 116T SL BSW
Rims - BLACK RHINO, Alpha, 18 X9 6-139.70 0 BKMTGL
Tire pressure monitors (I’m keeping my Toyota tires and rims, would like to sell) – Dill TPMS Sensor, DIL DIL 7007HP 71 315 Clamp-in 6YR/72K
No rub or other probs since about same fit as OEM.

IMG_3800.jpg
IMG_3798.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like this is mostly looking at stock 18” options. For anyone looking at 17” options I found no fitment issues with my Method 305 17x8.5 +25mm offset wrapped in 285/70r17 KO3s. They are 32.7” in diameter. I’m tempted to try going up a size to 285/75r17 that are just under 34”, I’ve seen some cars use these on stock suspension.

IMG_9485.jpeg
IMG_9461.jpeg

IMG_9315.jpeg

FYI @Markarian421, I weighed the 18" takeoffs from my LCP, and they were 29.8 lbs, no valves or weights. [In case it helps others, I replaced with '24 Tacoma 18" TRD wheels, which were 28.75 lbs, $210 each.]

Back