New A/T Tire recommendations, help!

I run Falken Rubitrek's on mine for the same reasons you listed on your priority list:

That is some well thought out logic....and a good looking tire! Great set up! I am just curious if you also looked at the Toyo Open Country III A/T? I have read a few posts that indicate the ride is not noisy on the highway and decent MPG. I have 18 inch wheels and may try these on stock rims. I am with you as well, I also need a tire for highway use, but also something that can handle the mountains in Colorado

That is some well thought out logic....and a good looking tire! Great set up! I am just curious if you also looked at the Toyo Open Country III A/T? I have read a few posts that indicate the ride is not noisy on the highway and decent MPG. I have 18 inch wheels and may try these on stock rims. I am with you as well, I also need a tire for highway use, but also something that can handle the mountains in Colorado
Iโ€™ve always ran Falken tires on all my cars and never tried anything else. My review was definitely biased. ๐Ÿค“

I run Falken Rubitrek's on mine for the same reasons you listed on your priority list:

6. Snowpeak rated. I recently had Wildpeak trails on our Mazda CX5 and it handled blizzards in Mammoth no problem. The Rubitrek will have the same snow performance, if not better, than the Wildpeaks.

Curious about this, have there been any tests that show the rubitrek matches or exceeds the winter performance of the Wildpeak? Or is it just an assumption based on presumably softer material with the same siping pattern of the Wildpeak?

I think you and I are after the same tire! Let me know what you decide on

I'm thinking about the Wildpeaks, Open Country - likely between those two. still researching!

I'm thinking about the Wildpeaks, Open Country - likely between those two. still researching!
I was in a similar boat, considering similar tires. I live in the mountain west and I ski 50+ days a year. I went with the SL-load stock sized A/T4Ws but the jury is out until next spring. I don't want to get winter tires for the cruiser (I have a RAV4 that I do switch over to blizzaks for winter, and practically speaking, the Rav4 is probably going up the mountain to ski more often than the Land Cruiser will be), but if the wildpeaks don't feel great for me in slushy/icey conditions, then I might end up swapping out a winter tire set for future winters. Ask me again next May!

I just watched a video by AutomotivePress, where Dave was comparing and contrasting the GX to his new LC FE. I stopped the video a couple of times, enlarged the screen image, and the GX was equipped with Toyo Open Country ATIIIโ€™s. So I wonder if those are standard equipment on the GX vehicles.

Curious about this, have there been any tests that show the rubitrek matches or exceeds the winter performance of the Wildpeak? Or is it just an assumption based on presumably softer material with the same siping pattern of the Wildpeak?
Based on previous experience with Falken tires and the physics of tread being closer together.

I just watched a video by AutomotivePress, where Dave was comparing and contrasting the GX to his new LC FE. I stopped the video a couple of times, enlarged the screen image, and the GX was equipped with Toyo Open Country ATIIIโ€™s. So I wonder if those are standard equipment on the GX vehicles.
Thank you for watching my videos! Yes the GX Overtrail comes with the Toyo Open Country ATiii's as standard, however, please keep in mind that all OEM-equipped tires (regardless of the brand/model name) are designed specifically for that vehicle. They are quite different from the aftermarket tires with the same name (the OEM ones are softer compound and less tread).

I'm going to be upgrading my tires and I've decided to go with Falken Wildpeaks instead of Toyo simply because the AT4Ws are the newest design. Toyo and Falken are both from Japanese brands by the way.

Thank you for watching my videos! Yes the GX Overtrail comes with the Toyo Open Country ATiii's as standard, however, please keep in mind that all OEM-equipped tires (regardless of the brand/model name) are designed specifically for that vehicle. They are quite different from the aftermarket tires with the same name (the OEM ones are softer compound and less tread).

I'm going to be upgrading my tires and I've decided to go with Falken Wildpeaks instead of Toyo simply because the AT4Ws are the newest design. Toyo and Falken are both from Japanese brands by the way.
How new is the wild peak design? Unfortunately I canโ€™t remember design (they were wildpeaks) that I had on a 4runner three years ago when I bought themโ€ฆ.. but they were LOUD.

The Rubitreks are designed to meet a lower price point.

My concern with the AT4 is weight. Rubitreks are lighter, which may be good for some people.

AT4 and Toto ATIII is a large line that includes C rated tires at some sizes. Rubitrek has far fewer sizes and probably no C rated tires. I'm not aware of any C rated 265 size tires, which is odd.

Thank you for watching my videos!
You. Are. Very. Welcome.

Thank you for making them.

I felt confident in recommending my GF buying a 2024 4Runner (instead of a hybrid RAV 4) thanks to your many videos on that model. After she watched the โ€˜30 reasonsโ€™ video, she went with the 4Runner. She absolutely loves it!!!

Have you seen the thread here, โ€œThe hybrid that canโ€™t..โ€? Do you have any thoughts on the failed engine? I am sure that everyone here is as stressed as I am about this topic.

I was in a similar boat, considering similar tires. I live in the mountain west and I ski 50+ days a year. I went with the SL-load stock sized A/T4Ws but the jury is out until next spring. I don't want to get winter tires for the cruiser (I have a RAV4 that I do switch over to blizzaks for winter, and practically speaking, the Rav4 is probably going up the mountain to ski more often than the Land Cruiser will be), but if the wildpeaks don't feel great for me in slushy/icey conditions, then I might end up swapping out a winter tire set for future winters. Ask me again next May!
Did you take an MPG hit?
Also, any increased noise?

I'm seriously considering the A/T4Ws

Did you take an MPG hit?
Also, any increased noise?

I'm seriously considering the A/T4Ws
Hard to say on MPG, since I changed them out at only 130mi. I would wager itโ€™s a 1-2 mpg hit but I have absolutely no data to back that up. They are pretty heavy for SL-load tires, but Iโ€™m hoping that means they are a bit tougher off-road than the lightweight SL options.

Noise is good for an AT tire. You can hear the hum over 45mph, but itโ€™s not distracting.

Cooper Discoverer Road & Trail AT are new and quite an amazing tire! Very low road noise and if you look at reviews at Tirerack (and the tire they are replacing) , they beat out most of the top AT tires in most categories except perhaps off road. Much lighter as well and great pricing.

You. Are. Very. Welcome.

Thank you for making them.

I felt confident in recommending my GF buying a 2024 4Runner (instead of a hybrid RAV 4) thanks to your many videos on that model. After she watched the โ€˜30 reasonsโ€™ video, she went with the 4Runner. She absolutely loves it!!!

Have you seen the thread here, โ€œThe hybrid that canโ€™t..โ€? Do you have any thoughts on the failed engine? I am sure that everyone here is as stressed as I am about this topic.
Sorry I haven't seen that thread yet so let me review it. However, what I can say is that there is always an exception for every possible vehicle in the world. Some cars, some where, will always fail and cause issues but it's not necessarily due to factory or design defect. Until all the root issues are investigated, there is no need to worry (yet). It could be something as simple as rodents eating up the wires or damages during shipment etc. Even the Tundra engine recall is actually a small percentage (about 900 engines out of 100,000) that was impacted - but of course the recall gets a lot of attention.

Deciding between Falken Rubitreks, Wildpeak AT4s, and Toyo Open Country IIIs

Sorry I haven't seen that thread yet so let me review it. However, what I can say is that there is always an exception for every possible vehicle in the world. Some cars, some where, will always fail and cause issues but it's not necessarily due to factory or design defect. Until all the root issues are investigated, there is no need to worry (yet). It could be something as simple as rodents eating up the wires or damages during shipment etc. Even the Tundra engine recall is actually a small percentage (about 900 engines out of 100,000) that was impacted - but of course the recall gets a lot of attention.
Dave, many of us treasure your input.

Cooper Discoverer Road & Trail AT are new and quite an amazing tire! Very low road noise and if you look at reviews at Tirerack (and the tire they are replacing) , they beat out most of the top AT tires in most categories except perhaps off road. Much lighter as well and great pricing.

These often get overlooked but I will second this recommendation. I had these on my GX460, put on last winter and loved them. Quiet on the road, great looking with nice sidewalls, very good in the snow (3psf) and they treated me well offroad (no mud tho). I will be putting these on my LC.

I grabbed a set of 265/70R18 Falken Rubitreks, including 1 for the spare! Thank you for everyones help :)

I have posted this in another thread, but Iโ€™m enjoying the BF Goodrich KO3 in the original OEM size of 265/70R18 124S RWL. I had the opportunity to drive the LC a bit more today and was quite impressed. Handling was solid even on the freeway with significant ruts, and tire noise was surprisingly low given the aggressive nature of the tread. Iโ€™m not sure how tire wear with mileage will affect noise levels. So far very happy with them!

Back