Thoughts on Driver Attention Function?

Esquire

đź“› Founding Member
Apr 27, 2024
Media
Omaha, NE
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Premium - Black / Black; 2016 Porsche 911 - 991.1 Carrera Base - Black / Black; 2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited - Black / Redwood
What is the consensus on the Driver Attention Function?

It really is demanding and jealous as it doesn't allow you to drive into car dealerships and look at other cars without scolding you.
It tells me I am slouching over frequently as well.

What, I cannot briefly snooze while driving? :) Seriously, as a senior driver, any aid to avoiding mishaps is appreciated. TSS 3.0 is great in this regard...

It really is demanding and jealous as it doesn't allow you to drive into car dealerships and look at other cars without scolding you.
Terrible feature that at least for me make it much more likely I will crash. I turned it off. Do not need or want a car thinking for me and applying brakes, etc. The nannies on this car are too much.

I hate it, I disabled it... LOL

I think anyone that fights the safety features is probably who needs them the most. If a small beep or chime is going to make you “more likely to crash” you maybe shouldn’t be on the road. I don’t always love some of the functions (auto braking stopping me halfway into my garage because it sees a bike), but I took the time to learn how to use them and live with them. I was going to turn off the attention setting, but one day it beeped at me while I was looking at a building and I realized my eyes had been off the road longer than they should be. It’s sometimes annoying, but overall I think it’s beneficial.

I think anyone that fights the safety features is probably who needs them the most. If a small beep or chime is going to make you “more likely to crash” you maybe shouldn’t be on the road. I don’t always love some of the functions (auto braking stopping me halfway into my garage because it sees a bike), but I took the time to learn how to use them and live with them. I was going to turn off the attention setting, but one day it beeped at me while I was looking at a building and I realized my eyes had been off the road longer than they should be. It’s sometimes annoying, but overall I think it’s beneficial.

I think it's more that as a vehicle operator, we want to be able to actually operate the vehicle... I can think of plenty of situations where they driver attention thing is more annoying than useful (which is why I disabled it)... As for the braking, I do kind of like that for the cruise control function, but when it slams on the brakes because someone is in a left turn lane when I'm not, that is really frustrating... That has happened an abundance of times on my '21 Venza & my '24 LC.

That makes no sense and the annoying chime isn't the reason these features are more dangerous. Some of us know how to drive. I don't need a car braking for me when I am accelerating deliberately or rounding a corner and there happens to be a parked car that comes into view of the sensor. Among limitless other examples. If you need the nannies use them. I turned them off and the car now does just about everything I ask it do do. And if I could not turn them off I would beat the 38 day seller by 37 days.

I always get scolded as well, almost always when I am driving Miss Daisy down the road, holding my girl friends hand, with my left hand holding the wheel, slightly covering the nanny cam. We laugh about it, and carry on, as usual.

I think it's more that as a vehicle operator, we want to be able to actually operate the vehicle... I can think of plenty of situations where they driver attention thing is more annoying than useful (which is why I disabled it)... As for the braking, I do kind of like that for the cruise control function, but when it slams on the brakes because someone is in a left turn lane when I'm not, that is really frustrating... That has happened an abundance of times on my '21 Venza & my '24 LC.
Are you using the adaptive cruise on roads that aren’t freeways? Thats not something I personally do, so I’ve never experienced that behavior in any of my Toyotas. My wife and I did have a Mazda CX9 that had the worst emergency braking I’ve ever experienced, almost got us rear ended a couple times because of a scenario like you described.

I guess I’m in the minority, but with the exception of the PDA that I turned off for MPG reasons I don’t find that the safety features limit my ability to actually operate the vehicle.

That makes no sense and the annoying chime isn't the reason these features are more dangerous. Some of us know how to drive. I don't need a car braking for me when I am accelerating deliberately or rounding a corner and there happens to be a parked car that comes into view of the sensor. Among limitless other examples. If you need the nannies use them. I turned them off and the car now does just about everything I ask it do do. And if I could not turn them off I would beat the 38 day seller by 37 days.
You literally said that the attention monitor is a “terrible feature that makes it much more likely I’ll crash.” Unless I’m missing something the only thing the attention monitor does is make a little chime. So logical reasoning leads us to it is a little chime that’s scaring you into almost crashing.

Wait until one is involved in a preventable (by the safety features) accident, and your insurance company refuses to pay. Certainly possible.

Hi Esquire, for those reasons you mentioned, I defeated that 2 months ago.

You literally said that the attention monitor is a “terrible feature that makes it much more likely I’ll crash.” Unless I’m missing something the only thing the attention monitor does is make a little chime. So logical reasoning leads us to it is a little chime that’s scaring you into almost crashing.
Maybe I used the wrong word, but it's the PDA along with the LCA, FCTA, etc., which you presumably knew. If you need those features use them but I know how to pay attention and use all of the controls and braking for me or "assisting" with the steering when I am making deliberate inputs is neither helpful or save. My wife needs these systems, too, so I understand where you are coming from.

Got it, you’re one of those tough guys that resorts to sexist comments when all the macho BS fails you.

Impressive how you managed to mess up quoting a reply, make yourself look like a fool and insult your own wife in one post.

Last edited:
Let’s keep it civil here.

It is a feature I personally enjoy, but I can see how others may not. The auto brake is a bit aggressive at times, but other than that I enjoy it. The attention feature keeps me honest.

Are you using the adaptive cruise on roads that aren’t freeways? Thats not something I personally do, so I’ve never experienced that behavior in any of my Toyotas. My wife and I did have a Mazda CX9 that had the worst emergency braking I’ve ever experienced, almost got us rear ended a couple times because of a scenario like you described.

I guess I’m in the minority, but with the exception of the PDA that I turned off for MPG reasons I don’t find that the safety features limit my ability to actually operate the vehicle.

I use the ACC on pretty much every road/highway (in the LC & the Venza)... My wife on the other hand is anti-cruise control. LOL This is primarily her vehicle, and due to some of her health conditions, we opted to leave the LDA on all the time just to be safe, but it annoys me to no end when I drive. There are times when I have to "fight" the wheel to go where I want to go, we live in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and curvy roads and LDA don't go well together...

Agree with that. The post sought feedback on this feature. Folks provided different feedback. And then in one post someone who likes/needs the feature supposedly attempted to apply "logical reasoning" to a comment that was about what the feature does (override/interfere with deliberate driver inputs) and expressly not about the annoying chimes. So there is apparently no consensus on these things. I think it is a great vehicle and am glad you can mostly turn these intrusive systems off.

Looks like we have a few different thoughts on it. I do like the safety aspect of all the options the LC offers. At first, the constant warning ding had me looking all over the dash for errors. I get it and it is slick. Is it annoying at times....? I say it is indeed. However, as they say, no good deed goes unpunished.
I'll turn it off and on and see which way works best for my driving and gazing style.

Back