Switching between CarPlay and Sirius XM. Gotta be a better way.

blairsteve

📛 Founding Member
Aug 8, 2024
Fayetteville, AR
Vehicles
2019 4Runner Limited, 2024 Land Cruiser
I'm loving my new '24 LC. Other than the small gas tank capacity and missing sunglass holder, my biggest frustration is easy navigation between sources in the Entertainment system. Specifically, if I'm listening to music in CarPlay and want to switch to Sirius XM, these are the only 3 potential paths to make the switch, and none of them seem logically best.

1. Press the "Mode" button on the steering wheel to cycle through all of the sources sequentially until I get to Sirius. I believe it's 6 clicks. When I went to the dealer to get help, this is the option they recommend. That's nuts.

2. Open the Toyota app from the CarPlay main screen, click "sources", click "radio". 3 clicks... most of the time. Sometimes there is a step or two in the middle (for some reason).

3. Just use the Sirius XM. app from within CarPlay. My issue with this solution is it's using MY cell data vs. the onboard system.

Does anyone know how to keep the left side sources menu static on the screen? OR know a simple one-click transition that I'm just not seeing?

Isn't the car Sirius satellite and the app Sirius cellular?

I don't think there's a cleaner way. There are major integration downsides that come along with car makers using Carplay and AA.

Isn't the car Sirius satellite and the app Sirius cellular?

I don't think there's a cleaner way. There are major integration downsides that come along with car makers using Carplay and AA.
"Isn't the car Sirius satellite and the app Sirius cellular?" Yes, that's my issue with that solution. I don't want to use the Sirius app because it uses my cellular data.

It would be great if we could disable some sources, so cycling through the sources you actually want was quicker and easier.

I'm looking at you, in particular, Amazon Music 😡

Don’t you have the expansion arrow top left to make CarPlay full screen or show the menu?
No. I don't have an expansion arrow top left. When the car settings menu is on the screen, I can see the CarPlay icon at top left, and when I click that and launch CarPlay, there are no clickable areas at the top left.

It would be great if we could disable some sources, so cycling through the sources you actually want was quicker and easier.

I'm looking at you, in particular, Amazon Music 😡
Yes, its a bad design. I have both Apple and Amazon Music, but I only intend to use those sources through carplay.

Can the multimedia voice assistant directly access Sirius? I believe voice is a paid service so most of us won't have it available long term.

Yes, its a bad design. I have both Apple and Amazon Music, but I only intend to use those sources through carplay.
I would love to meet the person who uses Apple Music through the built in software and not via CarPlay. 🤯

Maybe I should log in just for fun, while I’ve got my subscription.

Also relevant - Sirius will offer you $2 for a 3 month extension on your 3 month trial. Which is a great deal. Of course they are hoping you forget to cancel and they will auto renew you at $30/mo without any warning but if you are on top of it, a worthwhile deal.

No. I don't have an expansion arrow top left. When the car settings menu is on the screen, I can see the CarPlay icon at top left, and when I click that and launch CarPlay, there are no clickable areas at the top left.
Weird. Must work differently in the Tundra. I assumed it was the same software, different screens.

I would love to meet the person who uses Apple Music through the built in software and not via CarPlay. 🤯

Also relevant - Sirius will offer you $2 for a 3 month extension on your 3 month trial. Which is a great deal. Of course they are hoping you forget to cancel and they will auto renew you at $30/mo without any warning but if you are on top of it, a worthwhile deal.
I've never used Sirius until now. I thought there would be an app that guided to interesting shows. I don't see how they compete with simple podcasts unless the listener is a big Howard Stern fan.

Starlink roam is $600 plus $50/month when used. It's use when moving with the $50 plan probably won't be allowed permanently, but even so it has so much more potential use than a Sirius subscription.

I purchased a starlink mount for the inside of the moonroof. With our fancy inverter system powering starlink is convenient. Although our UBC-C plugs don't have the watts to be used for that purpose.

Here is a link to get SiriusXM for $99 for three years with no auto renewal. YMMV. It worked for me.

This is a great deal! I have a 5.99/month plan once my trial ends but after that expires I’ll definitely get the 3 year plan. I drive as part of my job and spend a lot of time in my car.

I'm loving my new '24 LC. Other than the small gas tank capacity and missing sunglass holder, my biggest frustration is easy navigation between sources in the Entertainment system. Specifically, if I'm listening to music in CarPlay and want to switch to Sirius XM, these are the only 3 potential paths to make the switch, and none of them seem logically best.

1. Press the "Mode" button on the steering wheel to cycle through all of the sources sequentially until I get to Sirius. I believe it's 6 clicks. When I went to the dealer to get help, this is the option they recommend. That's nuts.

2. Open the Toyota app from the CarPlay main screen, click "sources", click "radio". 3 clicks... most of the time. Sometimes there is a step or two in the middle (for some reason).

3. Just use the Sirius XM. app from within CarPlay. My issue with this solution is it's using MY cell data vs. the onboard system.

Does anyone know how to keep the left side sources menu static on the screen? OR know a simple one-click transition that I'm just not seeing?
I hate that too. I use the voice command function to cut through that. So, I usually say, "Hey Toyota/Lexus, (the channel) and from Sirius XM."

This is a great deal! I have a 5.99/month plan once my trial ends but after that expires I’ll definitely get the 3 year plan. I drive as part of my job and spend a lot of time in my car.
I tried the 3 year plan and Sirius said I was not eligible. Wonder if Sirius detected my wife's subcription.

I tried the 3 year plan and Sirius said I was not eligible. Wonder if Sirius detected my wife's subcription.
I would call again and maybe get a different country 🤣🤣🤣. I have no idea what would make one person eligible and another not

Maybe they’ll release an update to change the layout. Before I traded in my tundra, they upgraded the layout where the main screen navigation is always present on the left even when using car play. It was definitely an improvement over the full screen takeover.

My 2021 Gladiator has better screen navigation b/w CarPlay and XM. Come on Toyota, get your head in the game! You're losing to Stellantis! Stellantis FFS!!

Maybe they’ll release an update to change the layout. Before I traded in my tundra, they upgraded the layout where the main screen navigation is always present on the left even when using car play. It was definitely an improvement over the full screen takeover.
That’s how the BMW system works…home button always on the left.

Back