Sudden Loss of Power or Limp Mode

This is the one I bought on the recommendation of the tester guy on UTube, He has always been spot on in his live tests, it's a bit pricy but since he came out with his side by side test with all the jump box tests people are buying them all up.
View attachment 8284
This was smaller than I expected, which is a good thing. It's about the size of a 70's lunch box, perfect. Has a USB and a USB-C port.

I just had a loss of power. I was trying to take a left hand turn into traffic. I had been waiting for a while so it went into hybrid mode. As I pulled out, it was going about 10-15 mph (traffic was going avg of about 40 mph). I stepped on accelerator harder and it kept going slow, then suddenly, the gas engine kicked in and it took off. It was like there was a glitch and the gas engine didn’t kick in when it was supposed to. No error codes came up and it’s running fine now. Anyone else experience something like this? I have an appointment to take it to the dealership next week. They said, if it’s not covered under warranty, they’re going to charge me $210 for diagnostics. I said, it should be covered, it’s a brand new car! 🙄

Last edited:
I’m just had a loss of power. My was trying to take a left hand turn into traffic. I had been waiting for a while so it went into hybrid mode. As I pulled out, it was going about 10-15 mph (traffic was going avg of about 40 mph). I stepped on accelerator harder and it kept going slow, then suddenly, the gas engine kicked in and it took off. It was like there was a glitch and the gas engine didn’t kick in when it was supposed to. No error codes came up and it’s running fine now. Anyone else experience something like this? I have an appointment to take it to the dealership next week. They said, if it’s not covered under warranty, they’re going to charge me $210 for diagnostics. I said, it should be covered, it’s a brand new car! 🙄
I’d find another dealer..

I’m just had a loss of power. My was trying to take a left hand turn into traffic. I had been waiting for a while so it went into hybrid mode. As I pulled out, it was going about 10-15 mph (traffic was going avg of about 40 mph). I stepped on accelerator harder and it kept going slow, then suddenly, the gas engine kicked in and it took off. It was like there was a glitch and the gas engine didn’t kick in when it was supposed to. No error codes came up and it’s running fine now. Anyone else experience something like this? I have an appointment to take it to the dealership next week. They said, if it’s not covered under warranty, they’re going to charge me $210 for diagnostics. I said, it should be covered, it’s a brand new car! 🙄
Pretty sure what they mean is: If we don't find an issue, we are going to charge you. If we find an issue, we charge it to warranty. By no means am I taking up with Stealerships, but can't say I don't blame them........ Can't keep in business if a you put a guy on a customer's vehicle for a couple hours with no recoup of the manhours. They could probably eat one or two occasions but not repeatable. I have on many occasions, had a dealer diagnose an issue I couldn't figure out, pay their fee and fix it myself.

I should stop reading this thread. Getting a headache and worrying too much. Not listing the 4runner for sale just yet....
Actually staying optimistic. Love the LC. Just want to make sure it gets me from point A to B reliably.

I should stop reading this thread. Getting a headache and worrying too much. Not listing the 4runner for sale just yet....
Actually staying optimistic. Love the LC. Just want to make sure it gets me from point A to B reliably.
I also live in Virginia and can tell you 3,700 miles in, not a single hiccup. Sadly these cases are outliers and happen with new vehicles. It's like a 98% chance you'll get a good one, 2% chance you find yourself in these situations, maybe less.

I had this same issue driving on I70 to the mountains in Colorado... luckily there was construction so we were going slow and I got off at the next exit. Restarted the car and it drove fine, but took it to the dealership and they could see that it happened but didn't have a reason for it or had any suggestions / adjustments. Would love to get a better understand of what is causing this

It’s a double edge sword. When I read some of these threads, I stress out and I feel like I hear all of the things and see all of the things.- smell all the things.. And a lot of times I wonder if it’s in my head after having read stuff. But then the threads come in very handy also, otherwise I would’ve never looked for the dents at the top of my roof with my FE rack and had them fixed before I even left the dealership with my new LC. Some of it is very stressful and some of it is incredibly useful - thankful for the forum, but I totally understand your stress when reading certain threads.

I had this same issue driving on I70 to the mountains in Colorado... luckily there was construction so we were going slow and I got off at the next exit. Restarted the car and it drove fine, but took it to the dealership and they could see that it happened but didn't have a reason for it or had any suggestions / adjustments. Would love to get a better understand of what is causing this
What did they see exactly ? “Loss of power” code ? Somewhere someone stated these are brand new and the technicians at the dealerships Don’t know anything on them yet. I would say that’s accurate. I had mine in trying to get it checked out a couple of different times and the technicians literally say they don’t know anything about the land cruisers yet, which is sad and maddening all at the same time. Which is why this forum is so great. We are all learning from each other more than we could ever learn at the dealerships.

It’s a double edge sword. When I read some of these threads, I stress out and I feel like I hear all of the things and see all of the things.- smell all the things.. And a lot of times I wonder if it’s in my head after having read stuff. But then the threads come in very handy also, otherwise I would’ve never looked for the dents at the top of my roof with my FE rack and had them fixed before I even left the dealership with my new LC. Some of it is very stressful and some of it is incredibly useful - thankful for the forum, but I totally understand your stress when reading certain threads.
I hear ya! I've thought about posting a thread titled "Doomscrolling". I had one minor issue with my LC/LC (warning light) on the first day of ownership but it's been flawless ever since. I've concluded that following all of the "problem threads" really hampers my enjoyment of a spectacular vehicle that I love LOTS more than my previous 3 4Runners and FJ. From now on, I hope to only query threads that address my specific questions.

The dealer gave me very little information outside of your car is fine, this has happened before, and the most likely culprit is that the computer read something and went into safe mode to protect itself.

Mine happened on Friday and took it to the dealer on Wednesday (first appointment). Order of events

• Friday Night: Car freaks out on the highway, pull off at the next exit
  • 10 minutes late: Turn car off, restart after a minute all errors but "Hybrid system malfunction" are gone
  • 20 minutes later: Drive home without issue (50 minutes)
  • Saturday morning: Call dealer and they say if no lights are on you can drive... drive to the gym with Hybrid system malfcuntinon error
  • 90 minutes late: No errors, no issue
  • Wednesday: Dealer gives me me the answer above...

So far so good... my guess is this will be software update in 3 months

I keep a 12mm socket wrench in the rear storage tray.......... Disconnect the neg terminal on the battery, wait for 5-10 min reconnect, computers will reset and might be ok......... and get me home

Starting to wonder if some of these non-eventful 'multiple message' events are a result of brief decreases in voltage of the 12v battery. I really want to know more about the electrical system and why Toyota would allow the 12v battery to vary so much in voltage when it effectively has a 'built-in' charger (288v hybrid system).

Back