Sleeping in back?

DWS222

📛 Founding Member
Jun 25, 2024
The Mojave Desert
Has anyone tried sleeping in the back of their Landcruiser 250? I have noticed some talk that the platform above the hybrid battery is not sturdy enough for that. Is this correct? Do you have to install a separate platform over that to make sure you don't damage the battery?

This was posted somewhere before and is similar to what I plan to build as soon as I can! The "weight limit" appears to only be for that little access panel section just by the back and a platform like this puts minimal weight in that area. Happy Camping!
449449339_10233066661430150_7674290311809758204_n.jpg

This was posted somewhere before and is similar to what I plan to build as soon as I can! The "weight limit" appears to only be for that little access panel section just by the back and a platform like this puts minimal weight in that area. Happy Camping!
View attachment 4256
Just for clarity, when u say "back" is that referring to the area closest to the tail gate? or is it the area just behind the 2nd row seats?

Looks simple enough. I think I'd recess and add a 2" pad under the center leg, just to make sure the added weight of a non-alien didn't exceed the 132lb single point weight limit.

Just for clarity, when u say "back" is that referring to the area closest to the tail gate? or is it the area just behind the 2nd row seats?
Yes, sorry, the area of the raised deck that is closest to the tail gate. It lifts up for a little are of storage. So I think they're worried about that little plastic cover cracking under anything really heavy

I stretched out in a 1958 during a test drive. Ignoring the height differences secondary to the battery bump, I barely could lie straight out. I am 5'10". Rear seats were flipped all the way forward.

Went camping this weekend. An Exped Megamat Duo 10 fills the space perfectly. Fiance and I had enough room to roll over, and it was very comfortable.

I stretched out in a 1958 during a test drive. Ignoring the height differences secondary to the battery bump, I barely could lie straight out. I am 5'10". Rear seats were flipped all the way forward.
Flipped forward? Seems like there’s a lot more room with the seats just folded down. I don’t even get the use case for flipping them forward as it creates awkward spaces.

Yes a bit more room, but also another hump
How do you get more room? You lose space lengthwise front to back doing that AND create a dip in the floor by folding them forward. If you just lay them flat you have maximum lengthwise sleeping space at a slight incline, and no dip. Why would anyone use the fully folded configuration for sleeping?

Seems like the fold-forward option is only for access to the phantom 3rd row and its cupholders

How do you get more room? You lose space lengthwise front to back doing that AND create a dip in the floor by folding them forward. If you just lay them flat you have maximum lengthwise sleeping space at a slight incline, and no dip. Why would anyone use the fully folded configuration for sleeping?

Seems like the fold-forward option is only for access to the phantom 3rd row and its cupholders
It seemed like to me it was a pretty good elevation that the back of the seat took up. I should have taken a pic. Building a platform would be the best option. That way you get more length and lose the bump.

Just had my first weekend camping trip in the rear of my LC. Folded down the second row and had an inflatable mattress in the rear. Additionally had an attached "tent" to the truck area. The rise between the floor/rear seat was still noticeable, but something that can be easily resolved with a simple platform to make the entire back flat.

FYI I am 5'11" and slept on an angle to fully stretch out, but in a pinch the LC could sleep two people in the rear space.

Mattress: Amazon.com
Tent: Amazon.com

1721679492479.png

FYI I am 5'11" and slept on an angle to fully stretch out, but in a pinch the LC could sleep two people in the rear space.

Wow really? I measured 6'2" from the back to the front seats with the rear seats folded flat. That was without changing the front seat positions, which could slide forward to give a couple more inches if needed

Which size of the Duo 10? Was it the queen? Thanks.
The medium double, had maybe an inch all around (minus wheel well humps). Overall was great. We added a folded blanket where the cargo is to decrease the height between the seats; couldn’t even tell there was a bump. Maybe a 2 or 3 degree slope.

Went overloading last week on the BDR in northern Washington and this setup worked perfectly. I got a foam mattress wedge that is 7.5 inches at the head and cut off the bottom (foot edge) 43 inches (the length of the cargo floor) with an electric knife. It meets the 3.5” step-up to the folded second row seat back exactly and produces a perfectly level sleeping surface since the second row seat back is at the same angle of incline as the mattress wedge. I covered the wedge with a crib mattress protector, then put down a 3” trifold mattress with a 1.5” gel foam topper on it. I flip the folded seat's headrest for more support of the head-end of the mattress. Sleeping is important to me, as is headroom and quick conversion to daily driver.

IMG_8550.jpg
IMG_8545.jpg
IMG_8549.jpg

Last edited:
Went overloading last week on the BDR in northern Washington and this setup worked perfectly. I got a foam mattress wedge that is 7.5 inches at the head and cut off the bottom (foot edge) 43 inches (the length of the cargo floor) with an electric knife. It meets the 3.5” step-up to the folded second row seat back exactly and produces a perfectly level sleeping surface since the second row seat back is at the same angle of incline as the mattress wedge. I covered the wedge with a crib mattress protector, then put down a 3” trifold mattress with a 1.5” gel foam topper on it. I flip the folded seat's headrest for more support of the head-end of the mattress. Sleeping is important to me, as is headroom and quick conversion to daily driver.

View attachment 5603View attachment 5604View attachment 5605
So we gonna do a WA overland trip? 🤘🏻

I was looking for something to do on the holiday, and since I happened to have the material kicking around, I made this.

I will be finishing it off with a self-inflating mattress pad to create a comfortable full length surface. I’ll also sand the surfaces and perhaps cover with carpet or fabric.

My personal requirements:
  • Level out the back with the folded seats.
  • Be easy to pick up, move and store.
  • Allow use of the back seats while installed.
  • Be modular so I can use one or both depending on if my wife is with me.
Nothing fancy, but it works. Just in time for nice cool fall weather camping!

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg