Sand driving

surf fishing offroader

📛 Founding Member
Jul 14, 2024
Media
Houston
Vehicles
1958 Land Cruiser
Hey all - finally got a chance to take this into some deep sand and I'm freaking impressed!

I do a lot of surf fishing, and dunno how many people are familiar with Matagorda beach in Texas, but it's known for deep soft sand, and this thing just ate it up

My 5th gen 4runner was my regular surf truck, and there was about a 2 yr period I fished every single weekend, so I've got lots of experience driving in sand... I usually at least air down the 4runner, and on good days I can get away with only 2wd and some speed - so I can save gas. Usual fishing spot is a 20mi beach drive (one way). This 250 series, I went straight onto the sand with 35 psi and this thing didn't break stride AT ALL... stopped in real deep ruts just for fun and it just drives out. No center lock needed, traction control still on, that day I loved driving on the sand so much, probably traveled about 60 mi on the sand. Only used a little over a quarter tank of gas!!!! As much as I LOVED my 4runner, it would never even come close to this offroad mpg

1000004866.jpg

1000004852.jpg

Nice! Similar positive experience driving my LC on the beach in Florida. The full time 4WD worked better than 4WD on my previous 2022 4Runner TRD Pro. The LC stock Michelin Defenders at normal PSI worked a little bit but the new 275R70/18 KO3s (no lift, not aired down) made me wonder where the deep sand went went. Good fishing!

Hey all - finally got a chance to take this into some deep sand and I'm freaking impressed!

I do a lot of surf fishing, and dunno how many people are familiar with Matagorda beach in Texas, but it's known for deep soft sand, and this thing just ate it up

My 5th gen 4runner was my regular surf truck, and there was about a 2 yr period I fished every single weekend, so I've got lots of experience driving in sand... I usually at least air down the 4runner, and on good days I can get away with only 2wd and some speed - so I can save gas. Usual fishing spot is a 20mi beach drive (one way). This 250 series, I went straight onto the sand with 35 psi and this thing didn't break stride AT ALL... stopped in real deep ruts just for fun and it just drives out. No center lock needed, traction control still on, that day I loved driving on the sand so much, probably traveled about 60 mi on the sand. Only used a little over a quarter tank of gas!!!! As much as I LOVED my 4runner, it would never even come close to this offroad mpg

View attachment 11071
View attachment 11072
Appreciate the report. I took mine on the beach in South Padre Island, TX on stock tires with no issues. Just put MTS in Sand mode and had fun! I brought my recovery gear to be safe but didn't need it. Had lots of admirers on the beach including US border patrol.

Nice! Similar positive experience driving my LC on the beach in Florida. The full time 4WD worked better than 4WD on my previous 2022 4Runner TRD Pro. The LC stock Michelin Defenders at normal PSI worked a little bit but the new 275R70/18 KO3s (no lift, not aired down) made me wonder where the deep sand went went. Good fishing!
An advantage of full time 4WD in low traction loose surfaces like is when we make sharp turns, back tires do not slip and spin and dig into sand.

This is a big issue with part time 4wd systems where the back tires can burry themselves into sand in tight turns and get stuck.

That looks great! No leveling or anything?
34" tires!
Does it drive the same? Normal gear shifting?
Thanks! It's fully stock suspension, waiting on a set of preload collars to ship. You barely notice the tire increase and drives/shifts with no issues

Only thing my trd pro seemed to handle better is when it gets washboard like - it eats that crap up very well, not so much the LC. Had to slow down considerably

Thanks! It's fully stock suspension, waiting on a set of preload collars to ship. You barely notice the tire increase and drives/shifts with no issues

Only thing my trd pro seemed to handle better is when it gets washboard like - it eats that crap up very well, not so much the LC. Had to slow down considerably
Interesting regarding washboard roads—and too bad. I agree the TRD Pro smoothed them out nicely so I’ll miss that too, at least for a few years until it’s time for shock replacement and upgrade.

Back