Safety/Storage Solution in LC

Marinna

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
I live in a fairly unsafe area where smash-and-grab in a common scheme. I installed the center console vault in my current car and in the cargo I mount a shelf (see the attached image) and storage box link to the shelf to secure things link cameras, laptop, cashes, sunglasses, phone, and other important stuff from getting stolen. This saves me twice from car break-in so far.

Now I am looking at the LC, the center console has a cool box so I think punching hole on it or any insert is out of question. and in the cargo space there are only four anchor points (and they don't look sturdy enough) on it. Have you guys figure out what is the best practice to have a safety or protected storage in your LC? I only need a solution safe enough that once people break into your car they would quickly give up on your storage because it would take too much of their time to break it.

Attachments

• 999b5a4319d71f32fab21ef32ec6f566.jpg
    999b5a4319d71f32fab21ef32ec6f566.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 128
The lowest cost option is probably a rack attached to a standing base like you posted with a locked security box underneath. Though it might require some minor modification, the security box could be attached to the vehicle (i.e. seat frame) using a gun safe anchor cable. A more expensive but more elegant solution would be something like a lockable SUV drawer from TruckVault. In either case, the containers are too bulky and heavy to be carried away without it being totally obvious to bystanders.

Where did you find the base to raise your cargo rack from the floor?

Attachments

• FortKnoxSecurityBox.png
    FortKnoxSecurityBox.png
    2 MB · Views: 93
  • TS1S-Truck Vault SUV.png
    TS1S-Truck Vault SUV.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
They make center console lock boxes. But I'm not sure if they have it for the Land Cruiser yet or your model.

I'm also hoping that companies that are making the rear flat storage areas (if you remove the back seats) will also have lockable storage in it.

Some of them say they will have the lockable storage.

Still waiting to see their prototypes

The lowest cost option is probably a rack attached to a standing base like you posted with a locked security box underneath. Though it might require some minor modification, the security box could be attached to the vehicle (i.e. seat frame) using an gun safe anchor cable. A more expensive but more elegant solution would be something like a lockable SUV drawer from TruckVault. In either case, the containers are too bulky and heavy to be carried away without it being totally obvious to bystanders.

Where did you find the base to raise your cargo rack from the floor?
The biggest problem is that we have our hybrid battery on the floor, toegther with plastic compartment around it. The battery will need to be open for serviced, and (ideally) I think the solution needs to be mounted to the floor to be elegant. I could imagine this TrukVault would work nicely on GX, but putting them on LC would be quite awkward I am afraid.

A secure drawer with a base 36" x 36" with attachment points for the existing tie downs would work well. It could be longer if restricting the tilt back of the second row seats was OK.

The trouble with going full width includes the battery ventilation intake on the passenger side. 36 x 36 also allows access to the existing in-floor storage areas.

I don't believe that the most forward in-floor storage area would ever be discovered by someone rummaging the car, especially if the black pull tab is cut off. It would be interesting to remove the plastic tray of that compartment and see if a metal cover with a lock could be fitted.

But of course none of the existing storage areas, including the cool box, are large enough to feel adequate.

The Goose system presunably was designed by taking the time to determine where their floor could be safely bolted in. So it is likely in that system that the battery is reasonably accessible.

The biggest problem is that we have our hybrid battery on the floor, toegther with plastic compartment around it. The battery will need to be open for serviced, and (ideally) I think the solution needs to be mounted to the floor to be elegant. I could imagine this TrukVault would work nicely on GX, but putting them on LC would be quite awkward I am afraid.
Agreed. It's a very awkward space indeed. However, as mentioned, there are several people/companies that are working on solutions that include lockable storage and a flat cargo area without raising it off of the battery.

So basically the same height profile as is there now.

The big difference will be that the current plastic storage will be replaced with wood or other materials that could hold more than the 100 plus pounds that the plastic can hold.

But I haven't seen anything yet that looks enticing.

Watching very closely. Definitely want a safe, ideally in the center console, even if it means giving up the cool box feature.

Back