Rear Locker Issues w Engaging

rockbox

đź“› Founding Member
Jun 26, 2024
PNW
Vehicles
24 LC
Hey Yall

Have been having some issues last few days with getting rear locker to engage.

Required conditions for engagement are

4low
C diff locked

However, trying to engage rear was resulting in blinky blink and no engagement. Tried moving forward/backwards, and turning slowly so that there was some differential wheel speed, no luck.

Of course when presenting to dealer, seems to work fine.

I seem to remember when i was using it initially and it was working properly, the rear locker symbol was amber, like the center symbol.

Now its red.

Can someone confirm whether the “normal” locked indicator is amber or red?

Thanks!

Not sure on lc but 4Runner is red. It sometimes takes a while to fully engage, the more it gets used it will get better. I wouldn’t use it for shits and giggles though, or if you want to engage it from time to time do it on a straight path. Lockers are hard on axels.

Not sure on lc but 4Runner is red. It sometimes takes a while to fully engage, the more it gets used it will get better. I wouldn’t use it for shits and giggles though, or if you want to engage it from time to time do it on a straight path. Lockers are hard on axels.
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah no worries I'm not locking up and driving circles at Walmart or anything; live next to a pretty extensive trail network. Had been working with no problem until a few days ago; then could not get it to engage. Did everything I could including moving slowly with wheels turned to try and get spider gears aligned with clutch gear.

Now that is seems to be behaving again, I was questioning whether the rear locker indicator had always been a red=normal. The center Diff, and all other selectable drivetrain/suspension options, are normal=amber.

So thats all I'm trying to confirm with another similar vehicle (the dealer I visited hasn't even taken delivery of a single 24LC yet so couldn't check there).

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    553.3 KB · Views: 43
I'm having the same issues. 4Low, CDif is locked and lights up amber on the DID. The RDif just blinks red on the DID.
I have tried to engage about a dozen times and keep going back to the OM and re-reading to make sure I am doing everything correctly. I've rolled back and forth, and steered each direction many times to no avail.
I have an appt at dealer on the 25th, but I'd like to get it figured out before.

I'm having the same issues. 4Low, CDif is locked and lights up amber on the DID. The RDif just blinks red on the DID.
I have tried to engage about a dozen times and keep going back to the OM and re-reading to make sure I am doing everything correctly. I've rolled back and forth, and steered each direction many times to no avail.
I have an appt at dealer on the 25th, but I'd like to get it figured out before.
Just be patient, let it roll along slowly, chances are it just needs to be engaged/disengaged several times before it gets quicker. But I’m not certain of your situation, if you’ve driven a 1/4 mile trying to engage and it doesn’t… then yeah you may want to mention it at your appointment.

I’ve only driven it back and forth 5-10 yards. Worried if it wasn’t engaging could the gears be out of synch and didn’t want to mess it up further. I’ll try rolling it more. Thank you

How’s it working out for you guys? We’re you able to get it engaged after trying again?

i drove it about 100 feet yesterday and it locked and then unlocked just fine. I thought it would lock within 5' LOL.. Maybe as it breaks in....
What is the consensus on the color of the rear diff lock?

1. Is it supposed to be a solid red light indicating it is on and engaged?

2. Is it supposed to be a solid amber light (like the center lock) when it's on and engaged?

3. Is it supposed to be blinking or any other color?

It would be very helpful if Toyota would just put this in their manual. However, I do not see it anywhere nor have a red in anywhere.

My assumption is that solid red light for the rear is on and engaged.

But I'd like someone to clarify that if they know.

Thanks Russ

From FJ Cruiser Forum:
"If you are in 4Low and have pushed the RR diff lock button, Flashing red means it's trying to engage, solid red means rear axle is locked (engaged)."

And I found this discussion interesting with tips on engaging the locker and the need to exercise it periodiclly to keep it lubed...

Rear Diff Lock Light Blinking

From FJ Cruiser Forum:
"If you are in 4Low and have pushed the RR diff lock button, Flashing red means it's trying to engage, solid red means rear axle is locked (engaged)."

And I found this discussion interesting with tips on engaging the locker and the need to exercise it periodiclly to keep it lubed...

Rear Diff Lock Light Blinking
I assume the FJ Cruiser information would/ should be the same for the LC.

However, weirder things have happened.

I'm wondering if anyone can verify this for the LC

Same here, I tried so many times and the rear locks is not working properly

What is the consensus on the color of the rear diff lock?

1. Is it supposed to be a solid red light indicating it is on and engaged?

2. Is it supposed to be a solid amber light (like the center lock) when it's on and engaged?

3. Is it supposed to be blinking or any other color?

It would be very helpful if Toyota would just put this in their manual. However, I do not see it anywhere nor have a red in anywhere.

My assumption is that solid red light for the rear is on and engaged.

But I'd like someone to clarify that if they know.

Thanks Russ
Looking at the manual, I believe page 440, blinking means its trying to lock or disengage depending on what you select. While a solid symbol indicates it's locked. Keep in mind to lock the rear diff lock the center diff lock needs to be engaged first.
I had a go of it today without any issue, although it took about 40 feet for the first engagement after that it took only about 5-10 feet.

Back