Real World mpg

What oil do you use for 5K ? What is the oil and interval recommended by Toyota?
Regarding the 2.4T hybrid this is not about cost saving but about power and torque for US. 326 HP and 465 lb-ft (630 Nm) is huge for the Landcruser Prado. In other markets the LC250 keeps the old 4cyl 2.8l engine 200 HP and 500Nm.. With some improvements and next year with a Mild Hybrid system.

I’d take the 2.8 diesel over the IForcemax we get in the US any day.

I'm getting just over 20mpg in a slick-top 1958 edition. Backroads commute to work at around 55mph. Dealer or distributor added some beefy Nitto Ridge Grapplers, so that doesn't help... I'm sure the stock Grandtreks or whatever would net 1 or 2 more mpg.

I also just towed a golf cart from FL to NC this weekend using a 5x9 UHaul trailer. Managed about 17mpg all loaded up and averaging between 70-75mph. Not sure if that's good or bad, but never felt underpowered. Would've been a lot different in my previous 2.7l Taco.

I’d take the 2.8 diesel over the IForcemax we get in the US any day.
I hope this will make you happier with the 2.4T hybrid. The workshop taking care of my Japanese cars has a huge experience with off-road and Toyota. The manager told me tto avoid from now on the modern Diesel engines :rolleyes:. Because of the emission regulations and the electronics they are way more complicated and more expensive to fix. This is not an advice for regular car buyers because the Toyota reliability is still there. Buy after years of Landcruiser operation, any failure could be really expensive to fix. In opposition with my old school 3L Diesel. 6-Speed Manual transmission. I have no traction control, no ESP, not even cruise control. Just the Torsen lockable center differential, the lockable rear differential, the low gear and my amazing driving talent. 🥸

I hope this will make you happier with the 2.4T hybrid. The workshop taking care of my Japanese cars has a huge experience with off-road and Toyota. The manager told me tto avoid from now on the modern Diesel engines :rolleyes:. Because of the emission regulations and the electronics they are way more complicated and more expensive to fix. This is not an advice for regular car buyers because the Toyota reliability is still there. Buy after years of Landcruiser operation, any failure could be really expensive to fix. In opposition with my old school 3L Diesel. 6-Speed Manual transmission. I have no traction control, no ESP, not even cruise control. Just the Torsen lockable center differential, the lockable rear differential, the low gear and my amazing driving talent. 🥸
Yep, I've come to the same conclusion after researching the idea of going diesel. If I was looking at doing a 3/4 or 1 Ton that becomes more compelling in terms of reliability but have no desire to own another massive tank. The 1/2 diesel Chevy is using has quite a few complaints (wet oil pump belt) and the the complexity on the emissions stuff is rediculous. No go for me.

Yep, I've come to the same conclusion after researching the idea of going diesel. If I was looking at doing a 3/4 or 1 Ton that becomes more compelling in terms of reliability but have no desire to own another massive tank. The 1/2 diesel Chevy is using has quite a few complaints (wet oil pump belt) and the the complexity on the emissions stuff is rediculous. No go for me.
If not for emissions regulations, who knows what options we'd have?? Governments fuck everything up.

Owners: are you guys happy with the tank range at 17.9 gallons? Disappointed? My f150 gets 550+ miles on a 36 gal tank so I’m having a hard time accepting shorter range (albeit better mpg)

Would also love some updates on mpg! Is it going up like so many who cautioned that “engine needs to be broken in” said? I’ve never owned a new car so have no personal knowledge there

Owners: are you guys happy with the tank range at 17.9 gallons? Disappointed? My f150 gets 550+ miles on a 36 gal tank so I’m having a hard time accepting shorter range (albeit better mpg)
That’s probably the thing I dislile the most.

This is my big hangup. On fillup I'm always at 650-700 miles for range. I certainly can't drive that much range without stopping. LOL My powerboost (hybrid) F150 with a 2" level and oversized tires is still hit 20-21mpg in my mixed driving. Prior to my modifications, it was 23-24 regularly. I wish all these smaller vehicles could do a bit better.
PXL_20240501_164421980.jpg

Last edited:

It's the only thing I don't like about the vehicle right now, but I'm filling up about as much as my old Tacoma with its bigger gas tank. The more I drive the LC, though, the better the mileage gets. Currently averaging 23mpg, which is much better than the Taco ever got.

This is my big hangup. On fillup I'm always at 650-700 miles for range. I certainly can't drive that much range without stopping. LOL My powerboost (hybrid) F150 with a 2" level and oversized tires is still hit 20-21mpg in my mixed driving. Prior to my modifications, it was 23-24 regularly. I wish all these smaller vehicles could do a bit better. View attachment 2785
My Raptor gets almost 600 miles per tank when on a road trip (even though it's rated at 14/18, I get 17.5/20-22...probably because I drive like a grandpa most of the time)...And it's on 35's! I got a powerboost as a loaner once. Wow. That thing was getting 26 mpg! Crazy.

Back