Rattle while braking 2.8 diesel

REMC

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Oct 8, 2024
Colombia
Vehicles
Prado 250 diesel
Hello everyone, first time here. I took delivery of my 2.8 diesel 2 weeks ago, in Colombia, no hibryd. There is a rattle when braking, just when the car is about to stop, not every time, but a lot of times; it lasts under a second but is noticeable. At first I thought it might be ABS related, or gearbox releated since you feel the downshifting, but the rpm seem to go a little low while vibration happens. Does anybody else have this issue? Any thought will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum REMC! Not a great many diesel owners on this forum, but many of us wish we had that option, including myself. In any case, hopefully a diesel owner will respond soon...

The UK contingent on here are all getting the same 2.8 l diesel but we are still waiting for our vehicles to be delivered - itโ€™s imminent

So we will all weigh in on this issue when we have our LCs to play with

Could be first deliveries this coming Friday ๐Ÿ˜€

Welcome to the forum REMC! Not a great many diesel owners on this forum, but many of us wish we had that option, including myself. In any case, hopefully a diesel owner will respond soon...
Thanks Nuke. I guess drivetrain and brakes are the same, so if nobody else has this issue, that's also a good hint.

The UK contingent on here are all getting the same 2.8 l diesel but we are still waiting for our vehicles to be delivered - itโ€™s imminent

So we will all weigh in on this issue when we have our LCs to play with

Could be first deliveries this coming Friday ๐Ÿ˜€
No hibryd? Looking forward to any updates

Iโ€™m in South Africa and also have a 2.8 First Edition. I also have the slight shudder when breaking at lower RPM. It hasnโ€™t been consistent though. I also have the break squeak when in reverse as well as a slight humming sound from the 8 speed transmission.

Ooc, do diesel LCs j250 fall under the same import embargo as j70 i.e. no import allowed until a vehicle is 25 years old?

Like if I buy one in Columbia and drive it up to US, will some random DMV care what engine is under the hood?

Seen two reports on local forums of 2.8 diesel LC250's having this "holding on to too long on down shift" knocking sound. The claim I saw online from an owner who's been pushing Toyota about this is that they're aware of the issue and will issue a software update fix for the clutch in coming weeks, but that's just a claim from a forum post, not first hand info unfortunately.

Supposed to be picking up my Turbo Diesel LC250 end of October, but thinking about holding off until December for a MY2025 model in case this has been rectified in newer production, but who knows.

Iโ€™m in South Africa and also have a 2.8 First Edition. I also have the slight shudder when breaking at lower RPM. It hasnโ€™t been consistent though. I also have the break squeak when in reverse as well as a slight humming sound from the 8 speed transmission.
I've got the same engine and I have noticed the the gearbox is slow on downshifting when coming to a stop causing a shudder.

I also have the break squeak in reverse which many owners have reported.

I've driven the 2.4 turbo petrol version and it's got the same humming sound you described which I believe is a characteristic of this transmission.

Shifts from 1st to 2nd and 3rd specially in the morning aren't that smooth and I've noticed similar behavior when I tried the petrol version as well.

I'm hoping for an update to the transmission software that may remedy some of those observations.

Since my first post, i've felt this rattle even when decelerating going uphill, just before stopping, no brakes applied. A Toyota thecnician suggested maybe the fuel injection mapping is a little off in certain circumstances, and that is why rpm drop a little.

Same here with the brake squeak in reverse.

Last edited:
Back