Rails, Steps & Running Board Advice

This thread may contain affiliate links of Ebay and Amazon – in return our forum earns a small commission for referral.
I am waiting on AMP to offer a power board. The most off roading mine will ever see if I miss the edge of the driveway and go thru some grass.

I like the AMP boards as well. If my FE ever gets here, I'm going to take one off my TACO and see if it'll fit. If it does, I'll just order a set for the meant for a Taco. It's a pretty straight forward installation. The only challenging parts was finding the correct trigger wires in the doors. In the kit I installed, the directions had the wire color very wrong!. I did learn about "posi-taps" and have ditched the old "T-taps", Posi-taps are the bomb!

I like the factory rock rails a lot but they are def not steps.

I'm working on steps to attach to the factory rock rails. Targeting $500-$750 for a set of 4. The first metal prototypes will show up soon. Hoping to test-fit other Toyota rails to see if they use the same spacing for multiple models.

The ones posted by the owner of Dissent Offroad looked awesome... nice flat top surface for a step and fully functional as a slider.
I was quoted $1800 for the Dissent sliders. Uber expensive but great oem look.

If bigger tires are making it hard to get into… put your stock tires back on.
No. The stock 1958 245 tires are silly. I feel like Toyota specifically used them as punishment for buying the base trim.

When I need new tires I may go down from 275 to 265 like the other trims. But even that is high for my wife and a bit uncomfortable for many passengers.

I am waiting on AMP to offer a power board. The most off roading mine will ever see if I miss the edge of the driveway and go thru some grass.
Please email AMP and ask them to make them for the LC. I was told by AMP customer service they would not be developing them but I suppose if enough people reach out maybe they will reconsider.

I emailed them twice ( 2 different email addresses) and reached out to rough country as well.

I emailed them twice ( 2 different email addresses) and reached out to rough country as well.
I contacted Westin as well and they said they didnt have plans to make them for the landcruiser. Surely 1 manufacturer is going to corner the market I hope.

I'm positive the ones for the Tacoma 4 door are going to fit........... same frame.

As soon as I get mine I'll be taking some measurements for the step length and see if the ones on my Taco are close (2020)

Our daughter is partially disabled, so I ordered the predator steps for my 58. $675. Dealer wanted $250 to install. I ut them on in under half hour. Extremely easy for 1 person to do, as you can put in the bolts loosely and then slid the tube right up onto them and then tighten. Perhaps the easiest thing I've ever done under a vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_6712.jpeg
    IMG_6712.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 42
I got an email from toyota today pitching me accessories and noticed they now have Rock Rails available. They look like they may be different from the FE version, but it's a little hard to tell. Does anyone know about these?

Accessories Summary

The description makes it sound like they are not heavy duty, but there's not a ton of info.

If the LC rock rails/nerf bars are anything like the ones that came on my Taco, they're mainly for looks as they were made of way to thin tubing. The ones on the FE might be better but I doubt it.

I got an email from toyota today pitching me accessories and noticed they now have Rock Rails available. They look like they may be different from the FE version, but it's a little hard to tell. Does anyone know about these?

Accessories Summary

The description makes it sound like they are not heavy duty, but there's not a ton of info.
V those were the fists ones I looked at for my 58. My daughter needs a step up and unfortunately while those may provide some rail protection, Definitely a fall risk for anyone who tries to use it as a step. I ended up with the predator step.

V those were the fists ones I looked at for my 58. My daughter needs a step up and unfortunately while those may provide some rail protection, Definitely a fall risk for anyone who tries to use it as a step. I ended up with the predator step.
Thanks that’s exactly what I need to know. My primary need is a step for family. Ideally the step can also take a little abuse.

By the way, I commented in another thread, the predator step install - max - half an hour to install - one person. That’s it.
Once the bolts are in loosely, the tubes just slide on through a slightly wider slotted hole and then slide the tube 1/4 inch and it holds itself in place while you tighten the bolts them down with a driver.
Taylor wanted something like $300 to install them. I said no way LOL.
And I’m really pleased with them. I think I like them even better than the rock rails that I had in my jeep grand Cherokee, which also served a dual purpose - protect and step.

Hi All,

I didn't see anything when I searched so I figured I'd start up this thread. I'd like some advice on rails, steps and boards and am a newbie.

I recently purchased a LC 1958 trim which has no rails like the higher trims. After putting on 275/70 R18 tires it's a big climb for my wife and a little awkward for my short legs if I'm honest. I need something that helps and I want to keep a fairly subtle look without totally undermining off roading all together. I do a fair amount hiking/scrambling/snowshoeing etc. in Washington state and really won't go far off of the forest roads. But I'm looking forward to going to trailheads that require high clearance for the longer, poorly maintained forest roads and winter access.
  • Do the higher trim stock rails work as a good safe step for an adult? I could just buy the parts from the other trim levels.
  • Are there good sliders (model/brands recommendation maybe) that look and operate like a standard running board, but give a bit more protection? I realize some of these might be in-development now since it's a new vehicle.
  • For my needs do I just need to find generic running boards?
Thanks!
Hiw are the 275/70 / 18 on the 1958 any issues I want to upgrade my tires also

Today when climbing into the cruiser, my 6 year old commented on how she's glad there's the step (LC trim running board). And then went ahead and said "If it wasn't here, i'd have to step like this" and then laughed as she made a giant dramatic step up skipping the running board.

Back