Rails, Steps & Running Board Advice

bennettlo

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jun 3, 2024
PNW
Vehicles
'24 LC 1958
Hi All,

I didn't see anything when I searched so I figured I'd start up this thread. I'd like some advice on rails, steps and boards and am a newbie.

I recently purchased a LC 1958 trim which has no rails like the higher trims. After putting on 275/70 R18 tires it's a big climb for my wife and a little awkward for my short legs if I'm honest. I need something that helps and I want to keep a fairly subtle look without totally undermining off roading all together. I do a fair amount hiking/scrambling/snowshoeing etc. in Washington state and really won't go far off of the forest roads. But I'm looking forward to going to trailheads that require high clearance for the longer, poorly maintained forest roads and winter access.
  • Do the higher trim stock rails work as a good safe step for an adult? I could just buy the parts from the other trim levels.
  • Are there good sliders (model/brands recommendation maybe) that look and operate like a standard running board, but give a bit more protection? I realize some of these might be in-development now since it's a new vehicle.
  • For my needs do I just need to find generic running boards?
Thanks!

Stock rock rails don't really work as steps. Westcott designs has a preorder out for their rock sliders with kickouts that will work as steps. They're the only ones that I know of at the moment.

You can also get the predator steps. I have them on my Tundra and my short wife loves them to get in and out of the truck. No issues with them hitting anything when i'm on unmaintained trails to get to campsites. If youre only using forest roads and not rock crawling, the predator steps will be fine. ANything more intense, you'd want to get the Westcott designs sliders.

Hi All,

I didn't see anything when I searched so I figured I'd start up this thread. I'd like some advice on rails, steps and boards and am a newbie.

I recently purchased a LC 1958 trim which has no rails like the higher trims. After putting on 275/70 R18 tires it's a big climb for my wife and a little awkward for my short legs if I'm honest. I need something that helps and I want to keep a fairly subtle look without totally undermining off roading all together. I do a fair amount hiking/scrambling/snowshoeing etc. in Washington state and really won't go far off of the forest roads. But I'm looking forward to going to trailheads that require high clearance for the longer, poorly maintained forest roads and winter access.
  • Do the higher trim stock rails work as a good safe step for an adult? I could just buy the parts from the other trim levels.
  • Are there good sliders (model/brands recommendation maybe) that look and operate like a standard running board, but give a bit more protection? I realize some of these might be in-development now since it's a new vehicle.
Thanks!
The mid trim (LC) comes with running boards. Probably soon some people will be replacing them with rock rails and you'll be able to get some cheap.

I know Greenlane plans to make LC versions of their light duty rock rails once LCs start showing up in Canada.

Hi All,

Thanks!
Hey- I have a FE, if you are considering the rails (for higher clearance) but also need access for step up to the cab, I would consider all options. The rails that came with the FE are a tight fit to the base of the truck. If you have hiking or snow boots on, it is more of a ledge than a step. No room for the toe of your boot. Hope this helps!

The mid trim (LC) comes with running boards. Probably soon some people will be replacing them with rock rails and you'll be able to get some cheap.

I know Greenlane plans to make LC versions of their light duty rock rails once LCs start showing up in Canada.

Iโ€™ve got the Greenlane rock rails on my 5th gen 4Runner now and have enjoyed them. I reached out to Greenlane and yes they will have them available shortly after they can aquire a LC in Canada. May theyโ€™ll be available when/if I ever get a LC. Wonder if I could modify the ones I have now to fit the LC???

Anyone planning to add the LC First Edition stickers to the side of their FEs? I think the European FEs comes with the sticker standard.
1000000749.png

I may. Do you have a link where the stickers would be sold by chance? My FE is heritage blue so Iโ€™m curious to see what colors theyโ€™d come in.

From what Iโ€™ve been able to gather, these were just decals on some of the pre-production models. My dealer checked with Toyota and couldnโ€™t find any part #โ€™s anywhere in their system. It wouldnโ€™t be hard for someone to make an actual raised emblem that would look better and hold up better than a decal. Wonder if weโ€™ll see anyone tackle this. Itโ€™s a slick design and a clean subtle nod to the past

From what Iโ€™ve been able to gather, these were just decals on some of the pre-production models. My dealer checked with Toyota and couldnโ€™t find any part #โ€™s anywhere in their system. It wouldnโ€™t be hard for someone to make an actual raised emblem that would look better and hold up better than a decal. Wonder if weโ€™ll see anyone tackle this. Itโ€™s a slick design and a clean subtle nod to the past
I agree and hope soon thereโ€™s something available.

Maybe this may be of some help:

I saw that these just went live on their website. How does everyone feel about the pricing?

I saw that these just went live on their website. How does everyone feel about the pricing?

I haven't bought sliders before, but that's expensive for my scenario. I'm sure they're a high-quality product and worth every penny, but it'll be near $2300 for me after tax and shipping. I may still buy them, but I really need to think about it. :)

Back