Premium Fuel or not?

sbbamafan

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 14, 2024
Atlanta
Vehicles
Chevy Silverado
I have seen mixed information. Is premium required or not? What is everybody running? Is there an advantage?

I have seen mixed information. Is premium required or not? What is everybody running? Is there an advantage?
This subject has been beat to death, there are at least 2 dozen posts on this.

Some are convinced the engine will be ruined if you run anything other than 93 or non-Ethanol. Others, like me, don't think 87 will hurt a thing unless it starts pinging.

Bottom line you have to make up your mind what you want to run.

Premium is required because of Toyota being conservative about the turbo. Toyota is always conservative and plans for the engine to last hundreds of thousands of mile. But the engine almost certainly changes the timing in response to regular gas as other manufacturers who allow different octanes..

I will only use premium. A large portion of mechanics would not buy the used vehicle from you if they knew you ran regular. But it probably doesn't matter. "Probably" being the key word.

Premium is required because of Toyota being conservative about the turbo.
But, the Tacoma also employs a turbo with the apparently same engine parameters. Are there differences? Possibly in the computer software?

But, the Tacoma also employs a turbo with the apparently same engine parameters. Are there differences? Possibly in the computer software?
There was an interview with one of the engineers where he said there was some difference in how the power trains were tuned so that the LC optimized on premium. Canโ€™t remember where I saw it or the exact rationale.

The most confusing aspect is the tacoma hybrid has the exact same engine with same HP/torque numbers which would seem to infer the exact same programming but only requires 87 octane. So either they are lying about the tacoma or the landcruiser, but it is beyond crazy that there isn't a direct answer from toyota about this discrepancy.

There was an interview with one of the engineers where he said there was some difference in how the power trains were tuned so that the LC optimized on premium. Canโ€™t remember where I saw it or the exact rationale.
If they were tuned different wouldn't they then get different hp/torque numbers? Why tune it differently in the landcruiser to require 93 but gives no benefit to HP/Torque???

If they were tuned different wouldn't they then get different hp/torque numbers? Why tune it differently in the landcruiser to require 93 but gives no benefit to HP/Torque???
They are different vehicles in size and weight. They are probably tuned differently to compensate for this and to get the best mileage possible. And it only requires 91, not 93. Make your own decision and use whatever you want but the Manual states 91.

People have been arguing this for as long as the vehicle and Manual have been out. Youโ€™re not going to get a proper answer thatโ€™s going to satisfy you. Use whatever you want. As long as it doesnโ€™t ping, I guess youโ€™re good.

Their curves could be different. For example Lc might be producing more horsepower at lower RPMs due to a difference in tune that allows higher compression at lower RPMs.

In other words, LC might have a โ€œflatterโ€ HP curve compared to Tacoma, but both have the same max values.

We need to see HP/torque curve for both to see what is the difference.

Last edited:
Youโ€™re not going to get a proper answer thatโ€™s going to satisfy you.
A proper answer would be directly from Toyota engineering, but sadly they will surely avoid a direct answer. I still think it has to do with achieving an MPG goal for the LC, and given the additional weight and boxy shape, premium fuel was necessary to achieve the magic economy number.

A proper answer would be directly from Toyota engineering, but sadly they will surely avoid a direct answer. I still think it has to do with achieving an MPG goal for the LC, and given the additional weight and boxy shape, premium fuel was necessary to achieve the magic economy number.
I mean they gave us an answer. It is written in the owners manual and on the gas cap. We also know the engine has 11:1 effective compression, which would require something like 92 octane fuel to be fully utilized.

Manual clearly says using lower octane fuel can damage the engine. We can discuss if they are being extra careful etc, but they clearly intended the engine to be used with higher octane fuel.

Does the Toyota YouTube mechanic guy have a recommendation? He has opinions on everything, so I assume he has a position.

On a tangent, the best Yamaha mechanic in my area says that BP Premium has the best additives and is what he uses for small engines and vehicles that will be stored. Gas is a commodity, of course. But the additives are not. I'm not suggesting that using the most expensive premium gas in the LC is better.

There is a standard for additives called top-tier. It is mentioned in the manual. Not only does the manual indicate a minimum octane, but there is a recommendation for top-tier gas.

Attachments

• 1723130163747.png
    1723130163747.png
    657.2 KB · Views: 115
They are different vehicles in size and weight. They are probably tuned differently to compensate for this and to get the best mileage possible. And it only requires 91, not 93. Make your own decision and use whatever you want but the Manual states 91.

People have been arguing this for as long as the vehicle and Manual have been out. Youโ€™re not going to get a proper answer thatโ€™s going to satisfy you. Use whatever you want. As long as it doesnโ€™t ping, I guess youโ€™re good.
I still think it makes no sense. They weigh basically the exact same.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-08 at 11.16.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-08 at 11.16.09 AM.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2024-08-08 at 11.17.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-08 at 11.17.32 AM.png
    283 KB · Views: 75
IIRC, I read somewhere on this forum, that our rigs have a slightly more aggressive โ€˜tuneโ€™..

Back