Powering camper while driving with 2400w inverter

bywaysnothighways

📛 Founding Member
Jul 20, 2024
Media
Clarion PA
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Landcruiser 1958, 1985 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60, 1998 Mitsubishi Pajero Mini, 1993 Jeep YJ, 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Limited, 2018 f150
I'm trying to figure out the best way to charge my camper while driving. On my current truck the 7 pin connector gives next to 0 power to the camper while driving. Would be nice if I could figure out how to charge it while driving so my lithium batteries are always fully charged when arriving to camp for the night. I know the 2400w inverter can do it but figuring the best way to wire it seems tricky. I dont really want a giant extension cord coming out the back hatch of the cruiser and plugged into the port on the side of the camper. Any ideas? Has anyone done this?

I have the LC base and a TAXA Cricket camper that can be charged via the 7 pin. In the camper I have a single 100AH LifePo4 battery that is attached to the 7 pin power via a DC to DC charger (Victron Orion 12/12-18). The Victron has a Bluetooth app that goes with it. The LC puts out a steady 14.2V and charges the camper very well via the 7 pin. You can see what mode the charging is in via the app while driving (absorption or bulk).

I think using the 7 pin power would be a better idea than trying to rig the the AC power into your camper. The 14.2V level is actually right in the Lithium sweet spot for charging. You may not even need a DC to D charger.

I have the LC base and a TAXA Cricket camper that can be charged via the 7 pin. In the camper I have a single 100AH LifePo4 battery that is attached to the 7 pin power via a DC to DC charger (Victron Orion 12/12-18). The Victron has a Bluetooth app that goes with it. The LC puts out a steady 14.2V and charges the camper very well via the 7 pin. You can see what mode the charging is in via the app while driving (absorption or bulk).

I think using the 7 pin power would be a better idea than trying to rig the the AC power into your camper. The 14.2V level is actually right in the Lithium sweet spot for charging. You may not even need a DC to D charger.
How many amps are you getting at 14volts? I doubt it is charging much more than 100watts total through the 7pin, where the Landcruiser inverter can charge at 20x the rate.

How many amps are you getting at 14volts? I doubt it is charging much more than 100watts total through the 7pin, where the Landcruiser inverter can charge at 20x the rate.
Yes you are correct. My DC to DC charger is limited to 18 AMPS (so 200 watts or so). Victron makes a 50AMP 12V DC to 12V DC charger too. I doubt the Toyota's 7-pin power circuit can push more than 15-20 amps total. In my case, to get more power I would need to rewire my 7-pin (my camper is only #10 wire off the 7-pin).

Charging a bank of batteries gets much more complicated. There are many online "van life" folks that have much more serious charging set ups with #0 wiring running direct off the alternator to a DC charge controller. That definitely sounds like a warranty killer if you set that up on your LC.
I suppose you could wire a harness out of the 110V plug and route it next to the 7-pin. You definitely lose efficiency when converting the Toyota DC to AC then going from AC back to DC using your camper's inverter.

It would be a nice hack to tap into the LC's existing DC battery and have a large Amperage 12V DC output. However, I'm sure they have a Battery Management System and it may not be happy.

IMO, for no more than you will actually use it, I'd just buy a semi-permeant coiled extension cord and run it under the hatch.
1729026461733.png

Not sure if this fits what you are doing, but have you evaluated adapting one of these type of alternator chargers for your application?

You will end up running an extension cord. if you want to charge on the move.

Charging before leaving in the am, with maybe a bit on arrival if needed, may be sufficient. Especially if your charger can produce the maximum safe C rate for your camper batteries. Or you also have solar.

If you go DC don't do 12V. Look at a high voltage under 50v that can be accepted by your charge controller.

Last edited:
Back