Plug In Hybrid Conversion

dtxlcfe

📛 Founding Member
Sep 25, 2024
Dallas
Vehicles
2024 land cruiser 250 FE
Curious is anyone will try to convert the LC into a plug in hybrid at some point. If possible, it would benefit my MPG a lot since I am driving 4-5 miles at most for majority of my trips living in the city. The battery doesn't get charged up enough till the last leg of my drives many times. I have seen this guy do it pretty easily with another Toyota.

I don’t think the battery or is big enough for a lot of benefit? Two things that really puzzle me on the Land Cruiser are why isn’t the battery larger and why isn’t the gas tank larger.

I don’t think the battery or is big enough for a lot of benefit? Two things that really puzzle me on the Land Cruiser are why isn’t the battery larger and why isn’t the gas tank larger.
Yeah I think someone said the battery can power the LC at full torque for 3 minutes. Would've been nice to at least get that battery power output meter to 50% before the engine kicks on rather than the about 25% it is now. I think they could've at least done that if it was a plug in.

The engine turning off while coasting and stopped is the biggest boost to gas mileage and that wont kick on for me too often when driving such short distances. If I had it juiced up before these short drives I think it would add a couple MPG.

I think possibly the engine won't shut off on short trips because it isn't up to operating temp yet, so even if your battery was full the engine might not shut off for the first 3-5 miles.

Honestly, you would be much better off to buy a used Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt to serve as an electric city car. Toyota spent a lot of money engineering the LC the way it is. Attempting to redesign as a plug in hybrid will not be cheap.

Yeah I think someone said the battery can power the LC at full torque for 3 minutes.
The watts needed to do that would seem to exceed the best possible C rating of the battery pack. I've seen 50 horsepower quoted for the electric motor and I don't get that spec either.

5kw is about 7 horsepower. Can the 1.8kwh battery pack do more than 5kw?

Back