Performance?

Have you driven one yet? I received mine today. I think it has adequate power, but I'm prob just gonna level on 33's. I don't know how much torque your gonna get the bigger you go.
Yeah....I've had mine a couple weeks now. Definitely not going to get more torque with bigger tires but it's getting built for off road not street racing.

In order to achieve EPA guidelines, vehicle manufacturers put in a delay from when the accelerator pedal is depressed to when the throttle body is actually opened. This helps prevent "Jack Rabbit Starts" which will improve fuel milage.

The Pedal Commander is plug and play at the accelerator pedal, has many different levels of responsiveness, from factory to instant. It does not void the warranty. It can be programed on the fly via touch pad or cell phone app.

I have one on my Tacoma and am very happy with it.
Yes, I ended up tuning my Tacoma due to the throttle response, so I feel you lol.

it's getting built for off road not street racing.
I doubt anyone is interested in street racing, but having adequate power available for basic driving functions like merging and passing is something most people will come to expect from a $70K car. Regardless of whether you are planing to take this off off-road or not, 99.9% of all Land Cruiser miles will be racked up on paved surfaces, so it needs to be able to do normal car things.

IMHO, 8s+ is a complete joke for this kind of money in 2024. Even the FJ which came out ~15 years ago (and was obviously not made for speed) was a 7.3s car.

I doubt anyone is interested in street racing, but having adequate power available for basic driving functions like merging and passing is something most people will come to expect from a $70K car. Regardless of whether you are planing to take this off off-road or not, 99.9% of all Land Cruiser miles will be racked up on paved surfaces, so it needs to be able to do normal car things.

IMHO, 8s+ is a complete joke for this kind of money in 2024. Even the FJ which came out ~15 years ago (and was obviously not made for speed) was a 7.3s car.
I’ve driven one and it seemed more than okay for normal driving. I was in a crowded area of San Diego driving on the street and 2 freeways. I currently drive an Audi Q5 for reference. Didn’t notice any massive difference with pick up speed for merging etc, I was actually pretty impressed by the quickness of the car. The biggest difference compared to my Q5 was sitting up so high and then wheel responsiveness. My Audi has a heavy wheel and small movements move the car, whereas the LC felt a bit looser and like you had to give more rotation to get the same response. Fwiw I notice the same thing when driving my wives RAV4 vs my Q5.

Being a little dramatic saying that the car isn't able to do normal car things.

This is what raw acceleration numbers look like when you have relatively low power:weight ratio and big torque numbers. Torque is great for driveability and getting things moving... it's not great for 0-60, 1/4mi, etc. Like a diesel, the hybrid max will probably feel punchy out on the road, but venturing into the higher revs for a 0-60 or 1/4mi run probably isn't a super worthwhile endeavor. The GX is faster because it makes more power and it weighs less. Having extra gears to keep the engine completely in the powerband helps, too.

Being a little dramatic saying that the car isn't able to do normal car things.

This is what raw acceleration numbers look like when you have relatively low power:weight ratio and big torque numbers. Torque is great for driveability and getting things moving... it's not great for 0-60, 1/4mi, etc. Like a diesel, the hybrid max will probably feel punchy out on the road, but venturing into the higher revs for a 0-60 or 1/4mi run probably isn't a super worthwhile endeavor. The GX is faster because it makes more power and it weighs less. Having extra gears to keep the engine completely in the powerband helps, too.
We can speculate as to why the LC performs the way it does, but the weights between the GX/LC are effectively the same, and the GX isn't making up ~1.6s 0-60 because of its extra 23hp and 14 ft/lbs of torque.

This was a decision Toyota made intentionally, and IMHO they would have been better off just using the same TTV6 as the GX and pricing the LC $5K lower.

We can speculate as to why the LC performs the way it does, but the weights between the GX/LC are effectively the same, and the GX isn't making up ~1.6s 0-60 because of its extra 23hp and 14 ft/lbs of torque.

This was a decision Toyota made intentionally, and IMHO they would have been better off just using the same TTV6 as the GX and pricing the LC $5K lower.

Less power, heavier, fewer gears. The GX has both shorter gearing on the low end and taller gearing on the top end via the extra 2 gears. Plus, we don't know exactly how the electric motor impacts the overall powerband. Throttle tuning is probably also different for the launch because that has an impact on EPA ratings.

Why would the V6TT be significantly cheaper than the 2.4T Hybrid? The reason the LC gets the hybrid is for fuel economy regulations. The big spreadsheet that determines if Toyota meets CAFE regulations probably means the Land Cruiser doesn't come back to the US if 17mpg combined is punched in there. The Land Cruiser would get the same 17mpg combined that the GX does if it had the V6TT.

If you want the faster vehicle, just get the GX. They are more or less the same vehicle.

I'm not trying to turn this into a GX/LC debate, but simply stating that making an 8s car that costs $70K in 2024 is a disappointing choice, regardless of how much you think you are going to use it to crawl over boulders.

At this point if I could swap my LC allocation for a GX I probably would, but that is much easier said than done.

I still think there's an underlying issue in testing. There's no way the 250 should be an 8s+ vehicle. Especially when most people who have driven them are reporting them being fairly peppy.

Just determine in the test drive if it works for you or not.

I still think there's an underlying issue in testing. There's no way the 250 should be an 8s+ vehicle. Especially when most people who have driven them are reporting them being fairly peppy.
Agreed. And I think that is the whole point of this thread.

It's just seems odd to me there are many willing to jump in and criticize those of us who are curious, especially considering these aren't readily available to drive.

It's just seems odd to me there are many willing to jump in and criticize those of us who are curious, especially considering these aren't readily available to drive.

Yes. This is my thought, too. '23 Hybrid Sequoia knocked it out of the park with a 5.6 0-60, so, like you, I'm curious about Edmunds' 8.3 for the hybrid LC250.
I also appreciated what qberg said about the LC250 being really good in terms of having good low-end torque (eg, at 0-30), which is what I care about.

No times posted, but this seems like a pretty big throttle delay. Maybe due to stop/start being active? They talk about Sport mode later in the vid, so you would have to think they know how to turn it on.

Also, not really getting any 'peppy' vibes from his body language.

I've been eyeing the LC or GX550 for a few months now and 7-8 seconds from 0-60 is absolutely disappointing. The GX 550 is faster but it also has the engine reliability question with the reported crankshaft problems of the 3.4 V6TT engine (seems like a few of the LX600 are having early engine failures too).

A base model X7 with the B58 six cylinder engine gets 5.5 seconds from 0-60 and maybe even better fuel economy than the hybrid LC.

I'm certainly in the minority here, but I actually prefer sluggish acceleration. My hybrid RAV4 on eco mode is đź‘Ś.

I'm not in a rush.

I
I've been eyeing the LC or GX550 for a few months now and 7-8 seconds from 0-60 is absolutely disappointing. The GX 550 is faster but it also has the engine reliability question with the reported crankshaft problems of the 3.4 V6TT engine (seems like a few of the LX600 are having early engine failures too).

A base model X7 with the B58 six cylinder engine gets 5.5 seconds from 0-60 and maybe even better fuel economy than the hybrid LC.
Unless you get it used isn’t the X7 quite a bit more expensive than the LC? And then add in maintenance costs and the fact that BMW is (IMO) highly unreliable after 80k miles…. Coming from owning back to back Audis over the past 15+ years getting a reliable and durable Toyota truck sounds so damn nice.

X7 is more expensive, but it's also a much bigger car, was just trying to demonstrate that a massive SUV can get 5.5 on 0-60, so 8 seconds on the LC is pretty weak.

I agree with you on reliability, but the newer BMWs with the B58 engines are more reliable than they used to be. The bigger question is are the newer turbo Toyotas as reliable as the last gen Toyotas with the bullet proof NA engines? I'm not sure.

X7 is more expensive, but it's also a much bigger car, was just trying to demonstrate that a massive SUV can get 5.5 on 0-60, so 8 seconds on the LC is pretty weak.

I agree with you on reliability, but the newer BMWs with the B58 engines are more reliable than they used to be. The bigger question is are the newer turbo Toyotas as reliable as the last gen Toyotas with the bullet proof NA engines? I'm not sure.
Yeah I hear you on that. I was cross shopping the LC with an X5 or X7 and decided to bet on brand reliability. The B58s have been good in the SUVs but they are still kind of new in them (think 2019 they started getting included the suv). My Audis (diff brand by German) all started to crap out around 100k miles, and all pretty seriously.

All of that said - I love the bmw and pretty much am decided that an X5 or X7 is going to be next car for my wife in 3-5 years. My day to day (lots of surfing, mtb riding, etc) doesn’t feel like a great fit for a fancy BMW as I don’t like to baby my car - want to get in with sandy feet, after a big mtb ride, and toss shit in the car without worrying about scratching wood panels, etc.

Yeah my wife drives the X7. In 3 years we have had no issues with it, just regular oil changes and a new set of tires. Drives way smaller than the size of the car. I am looking to replace my aging GX460, didn't want to have two similar cars for the family with another X7 or X5, was really hoping the new GX or LC to deliver. But between the absurd dealer markups for pulse brake lights and ceramic coating, and the concerns about the engine reliability, I might just get another BMW. I don't drive cars past 100k anyway.

Is some of the reviews taking into account putting the LC in “sport” mode? And what about driving done with the “tow,haul” engaged? The “tow, haul” mode on my Superduty shifts the trans to lower gearing. I’m just asking. In another post, the “tow,haul” mode blocks the engine from shutting off during stops?

There’s talk we might see the V6TT in a LC for “25”… If Toyota can solve the front main bearing issues, (confident they will) I’m leaning towards waiting til 25. Just can’t wrap my head around the I4 Hybrid. If they would have used the B58 in the LC it would have been a game changer! Ineos made a smart choice using it in the Grenadier.

Back