Paint issue - advice needed!

bobnesta

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Sep 7, 2024
Denver
Vehicles
24 Land Cruiser
Hi all, Just picked up a black Land Cruiser, coming from a Land Rover Defender that had issues. First time Toyota owner and really impressed. Upon delivery, we noticed some paint splatter on the hood (best way to describe it). Very slight and hard to notice. Dealer says it's covered under dealer warranty and they are willing to take to body shop and repaint the hood while putting me in a loaner. I did get slight discount and can live with the imperfection. What would you do here and why? Thanks for the wisdom of this crowd!

I would leave that alone. Not everyone can paint an aluminum hood well enough for the paint to last long term. I know this from experience.

Post a picture. Dollars to donuts that comes off with some clay, Scratch X and a good spray wax.

Take your slight discount and vehicle to a reputable detailer. Dealership is probably where the paint splatter originated from.

While concerns about matching paint are valid, being it's black and new, the factory black will be an easy match.

Hi all, Just picked up a black Land Cruiser, coming from a Land Rover Defender that had issues. First time Toyota owner and really impressed. Upon delivery, we noticed some paint splatter on the hood (best way to describe it). Very slight and hard to notice. Dealer says it's covered under dealer warranty and they are willing to take to body shop and repaint the hood while putting me in a loaner. I did get slight discount and can live with the imperfection. What would you do here and why? Thanks for the wisdom of this crowd!
My sons honda civic had frond end body work on white car. When we arrived home, we noticed bright yellow overspray "splatter" dots all over the roof. You could not see if if you were 3 feet away. But when entering car it was noticeable, and once you noticed it it was hard to look away from it. Nothing would work - but using goo remover (what you would use to remove window tint) did the trick fairly easily over entire hood. I would not repaint the hood. While color match is easy, there is the risk of orange peel look, the risk of overspray lines, blend, etc. etc. unless really necessary.

Thanks all itโ€™s under the clearcoat so I think needs a repainting if Iโ€™m going to do it. More of a ridge in the paint than overspray. Itโ€™s there but you have to look for it on a black hood.

Hi, friends Iam Riaz deen from kuwait city.
we do valuation and inspection of cars .
Apparently we too had received land cruiser 2024 model for paint checkup
the complete body measurements were 110 microns +/- 15 to 20 % where as the hood measurements were totally different with varying measurenets from 120 to 150 microns.
the car was just taken from the dealer , it llooks like its been spray painted with a thin layer of paint or some protective coating .
Just kepts us wondering if it is normal or had the hood met with some minor damage and the company re-painted it.
please share your experiences if you have faced similar problem.
Best Regards,
Riaz Deen.

It's an aluminum hood, so thickness specs may vary.
Thank you Dear
yes It is aluminium hood .
when we compared with another same identical car the measurements were a bit high, but even on almost all the surface .
where as this car had different readings even on a smaller area.
This made us suspecious .

Take it to a high end detailer and have them look before you even entertain re-painting the hood. I would do everything possible before re-painting.

If you do have to resort to a re-paint, make sure it doesn't go on the CarFax as many shops have to report it as damage; which obviously reduces its value even if it was only a hood re-paint. Happened to me on a Jeep Wrangler I owned many years ago

I'd definitely go to a detailer that specializes in paint correction (most likely in preparation for ceramic coating or PPF.) If the splatter is the top layer on the clear coat, then they may be able to safely remove the splatter. The end result may actually be better than what you currently have because the orange peel will either be eliminated or minimized. You want someone who will remove the minimum amount of clearcoat, not someone who will aggressively remove both the clear and the splatter. The paint on my LC was in pretty good condition. I did a gentle two-step paint correction to improve the condition of the clearcoat prior to applying a ceramic coating. Here's a little before and after pic for you...

IMG_5996_2024 .jpg

IMG_5997_2024 .jpg

Back