Paint issue - advice needed!

bobnesta

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Sep 7, 2024
Denver
Vehicles
24 Land Cruiser
Hi all, Just picked up a black Land Cruiser, coming from a Land Rover Defender that had issues. First time Toyota owner and really impressed. Upon delivery, we noticed some paint splatter on the hood (best way to describe it). Very slight and hard to notice. Dealer says it's covered under dealer warranty and they are willing to take to body shop and repaint the hood while putting me in a loaner. I did get slight discount and can live with the imperfection. What would you do here and why? Thanks for the wisdom of this crowd!

I would leave that alone. Not everyone can paint an aluminum hood well enough for the paint to last long term. I know this from experience.

Post a picture. Dollars to donuts that comes off with some clay, Scratch X and a good spray wax.

Take your slight discount and vehicle to a reputable detailer. Dealership is probably where the paint splatter originated from.

While concerns about matching paint are valid, being it's black and new, the factory black will be an easy match.

Hi all, Just picked up a black Land Cruiser, coming from a Land Rover Defender that had issues. First time Toyota owner and really impressed. Upon delivery, we noticed some paint splatter on the hood (best way to describe it). Very slight and hard to notice. Dealer says it's covered under dealer warranty and they are willing to take to body shop and repaint the hood while putting me in a loaner. I did get slight discount and can live with the imperfection. What would you do here and why? Thanks for the wisdom of this crowd!
My sons honda civic had frond end body work on white car. When we arrived home, we noticed bright yellow overspray "splatter" dots all over the roof. You could not see if if you were 3 feet away. But when entering car it was noticeable, and once you noticed it it was hard to look away from it. Nothing would work - but using goo remover (what you would use to remove window tint) did the trick fairly easily over entire hood. I would not repaint the hood. While color match is easy, there is the risk of orange peel look, the risk of overspray lines, blend, etc. etc. unless really necessary.

Thanks all itโ€™s under the clearcoat so I think needs a repainting if Iโ€™m going to do it. More of a ridge in the paint than overspray. Itโ€™s there but you have to look for it on a black hood.

Back