Only getting 17mpg

That was then. This is now. Different world..
Older charger I mean a 2012 model that I got brand new and kept until 2023 and put about 140000 miles.
Either way I no spokesperson for the brand and have zero reasons to defend it.
I just used for a very extended period of time with absolute zero problems, not only that but with mild performance and MPG gains.

Have you used it for an extend period of time and had problems ?

Last edited:
That’s great that it worked for you. It’s well documented that they are problematic. There are alot of people who have used K&N filters and had problems. If you google “K&N problems”. You will find several different forums for different vehicles with the same stories over and over. Usually mass air flow sensors get residual filter oil on them and then need to be cleaned or replaced. Faulty readings caused CELs. In my case I bought a brand new 2002 VW GTI and heavily modified it. It had the VR6 so I installed a VF engineering stage 3 vortex centrifugal supercharger. The problem I ran into was that I had constant problems with my air/fuel ratio because of the oil from the filter constantly coated the MAF. At that time VW had a special tool that was not available to the public that fastened the actual sensor to the housing. The only way to properly clean it was to remove the sensor from the housing. I would remove the housing and try to clean it with a spray cleaner while in the housing, but it would sometimes damage the sensor. It cost nearly $300 to replace every time because they would only sell it with the housing together. I tried using less and less oil, but then started hearing from other VW and Audi tuners that under oiled filters allowed too many particles that would damage the internals. I was told that kind of damage would not be noticed for a long time. So I just kept replacing MAFs at $300 with every oil change at 3k mile intervals. I ended up selling it with less than 30k miles on it so I don’t know what happened to it. My story was not uncommon. Many guys switched to other filters I think called AWE or something like that. They were oil free. I didn’t feel confident that they filtered well enough being oil free. For vehicles that are heavily modified or very powerful it is necessary to have more flow, I get it with your hemi it benefited from your K&N. For most daily drivers the benefits are not worth the risk and headaches. For weekend or race cars yes it’s worth it. Now with so many electronics and technology our engines are different and more expensive. Mt GTI VR6 fully optioned was 24k new. Our LCs more expensive $65k, more expensive to repair and I wouldn’t want to risk voiding a warranty for a few hp or mpg gains. I definitely don’t want poor filtration to damage my internals and have problems later from being under oiled.

Last edited:
I just used for a very extended period of time with absolute zero problems, not only that but with mild performance and MPG gains.

Have you used it for an extend period of time and had problems ?
K&N has been around for many decades, and for many years has provided 10-year/million mile warranties to anyone that can prove their products have caused engine damage. I had one completely refunded by them that was throwing MAF sensor errors. However, this topic has been argued over the internet endlessly and will never be resolved. TRD will offer high flow air filters for those that can't trust K&N or other aftermarket vendor's engineering/R&D.

That’s great that it worked for you. It’s well documented that they are problematic. There are alot of people who have used K&N filters and had problems. If you google “K&N problems”. You will find several different forums for different vehicles with the same stories over and over. Usually mass air flow sensors get residual filter oil on them and then need to be cleaned or replaced. Faulty readings caused CELs. In my case I bought a brand new 2002 VW GTI and heavily modified it. It had the VR6 so I installed a VF engineering stage 3 vortex centrifugal supercharger. The problem I ran into was that I had constant problems with my air/fuel ratio because of the oil from the filter constantly coated the MAF. At that time VW had a special tool that was not available to the public that fastened the actual sensor to the housing. The only way to properly clean it was to remove the sensor from the housing. I would remove the housing and try to clean it with a spray cleaner while in the housing, but it would sometimes damage the sensor. It cost nearly $300 to replace every time because they would only sell it with the housing together. I tried using less and less oil, but then started hearing from other VW and Audi tuners that under oiled filters allowed too many particles that would damage the internals. I was told that kind of damage would not be noticed for a long time. So I just kept replacing MAFs at $300 with every oil change at 3k mile intervals. I ended up selling it with less than 30k miles on it so I don’t know what happened to it. My story was not uncommon. Many guys switched to other filters I think called AWE or something like that. They were oil free. I didn’t feel confident that they filtered well enough being oil free. For vehicles that are heavily modified or very powerful it is necessary to have more flow, I get it with your hemi it benefited from your K&N. For most daily drivers the benefits are not worth the risk and headaches. For weekend or race cars yes it’s worth it. Now with so many electronics and technology our engines are different and more expensive. Mt GTI VR6 fully optioned was 24k new. Our LCs more expensive $65k, more expensive to repair and I wouldn’t want to risk voiding a warranty for a few hp or mpg gains. I definitely don’t want poor filtration to damage my internals and have problems later from being under oiled.
Yikes
Yeah, I had in most of my cars (and still have my other two) which at this time I have a combined mileage of 400k miles on those filters without a single problem. Only mild mpg and hp gains which is more than enough for the intended purpose.
Granted all were NA (V8 Hemi) and a Subaru outback (2.5 boxer NA) with nearly 200k miles on the clock.
My best guess is the forced induction sucks the oil off the filter causing problems.

But back to the MPG topic, curious if the "TRD Filter" would make any difference...

But back to the MPG topic, curious if the "TRD Filter" would make any difference...
The genuine TRD air filter part number is

PTR03-35240​

It's washable/reusable and has a similar design to...other aftermarket air filters :) Probably can't hurt or void any warranties if its a genuine Toyota part, no?

Back