Only getting 17mpg

Bi modal distribution could be coming from primary city vs highway drivers.
Maybe, but the individual reports sometimes contradict that. I've excluded a few that only gave city driving results. And I'd still think for most people it's a mix, and the mix would be variable.

Thats great and what ive noted too. Im in the 17mpg. And ive tried driving real conservative. No help.
I toggled tow on and off. So not that.

Do the 20+ mpg folks note if it stays in battery mode (zero on Tac) when driving slow?
Mine goes right to engine when moving. No matter how lightly I drive, Tac moves unless coasting.

I read some see battery only mode when driving slow.
I've noticed a few questions about the electric only mode that people seem to be expecting and just don't think that is how it is supposed to work - unlike other hybrids.

Mine will "idle" on electric but won't accelerate much at all without the gas engine firing up. If I get up to a slower speed <30 mph and then let off the pedal completely I can hold that speed on electric only if I just barely touch the "gas" pedal. That's it.

I've noticed a few questions about the electric only mode that people seem to be expecting and just don't think that is how it is supposed to work - unlike other hybrids.

Mine will "idle" on electric but won't accelerate much at all without the gas engine firing up. If I get up to a slower speed <30 mph and then let off the pedal completely I can hold that speed on electric only if I just barely touch the "gas" pedal. That's it.
I believe you are correct. The land cruiser was not designed to be driven on a battery. The electric motor and the hybrid system is there to provide torque and horsepower to a four-cylinder turbo engine. It is built this way to make it comparable to the torque and horsepower of the V8, not for economy.

I had the dealer put on BFG KO2's before I picked up my Land Cruiser FE. They are the same size as the stock (265 70 R18) but I am only getting 17mpg. I have around 2500 miles now and it has not changed. Any one else having the same issue?
How fast are you driving ?

LC LC trim with 20 inch wheel, 34 psi (cold). I use 93 octane fuel. In my opinion, how you brake is as important to how you accelerate with hybrids. Coasting as much as possible is the best, if coasting is not possible, applying low/moderate brake pressure over a longer distance is much better than sudden braking. You basically want to maximize energy recapture by limiting the usage of hydraulic brakes.
I have that coasting to lower speeds down pretty well. My trusty 2007 Tundra has 158,000 miles on the original brake pads. They’re just now coming down to the end of useful life. Probably treat the old girl to new rotors too.

I took my first long (450 miles) road trip and averaged around 80MPH. I averaged around 16.6MPG on my (265/70R18 SL) Falken Wildpeak AT4W's. I'm using Premium fuel and driving in Eco mode at this time.

One thing I noticed that got me thinking was that the speed in my Waze app (79) was slower than what was on the dash (82).

1723177687174.png

I'm not sure how to account for this. The new tires are within .1 inches in diameter of the stock tires so I don't think it could be related to the circumference of the tire. If anything, I think the slightly larger Falken should make the speedometer read as slower than the actual speed because it would take fewer revolutions of the tire to go the same distance. This difference in speed was consistent for the whole trip and not just a fluke.

I bring this subject up because it also seemed like my odometer was off and showing fewer miles traveled between tanks. I started recording a "track" on Gaia GPS when I filled up and also reset my trip odometer. When I filled up next, my trip odometer read 241 whereas Gaia said 246. So, the computer is thinking I've traveled less distance for the amount of fuel I used. The dash said I averaged something like 16.6MPG but simple math of dividing the number of miles according to Gaia (246) by the number of gallons (14.452) = 17MPG.

I am definitely not happy with either 16.6 or 17 MPG. I knew I was going to take a hit with the AT's but nearly 25%?

A few reporting in the 20's for the Lexus? About half the responses in this thread have been in the 20's. Here's the distribution:

View attachment 7403

Quick take: this distribution does make me wonder if there's some common/frequently occurring factor that causes several people to be stuck around 17, but I have no idea what it would be.

The longer version:
The big caveat with this data set is that with the title of the thread, and as it goes in general with problems, the data set likely over represents problematic values (near 17 mpg). The mean and median values are both 20 MPG, the most common value is around 21-22. But it's not a very uniform or Gaussian distribution as I'd expect -- It's small number statistics to claim much, but it does look a little like a binomial distribution with a lower peak around the 17's. With the very limited data in this thread there was no obvious correlation with tires, wheels, trim, or even AC use -- most of those looked like maybe a 1mpg-ish difference alone. Not a 17 vs. 21 mpg difference. Short trips (and low MPG) vs. highway driving (and generally much better mpg) was a theme in several posts.
I tried all the tricks on a work trip tonight. Coasted long to stops, light on pedal, eco mode. Still high 17’s mpg.
I’d like to ask Toyota. See if a engine or computer issue for those of us in the teens.

Anyone know if Toyota has a contact site? Or am I stuck asking my dealer

I tried all the tricks on a work trip tonight. Coasted long to stops, light on pedal, eco mode. Still high 17’s mpg.
I’d like to ask Toyota. See if a engine or computer issue for those of us in the teens.

Might try the old fashioned way of actual miles (since last fillup) divided into gallons of fuel added before contacting Toyota.

I took my first long (450 miles) road trip and averaged around 80MPH. I averaged around 16.6MPG on my (265/70R18 SL) Falken Wildpeak AT4W's. I'm using Premium fuel and driving in Eco mode at this time.

One thing I noticed that got me thinking was that the speed in my Waze app (79) was slower than what was on the dash (82).

View attachment 7491

I'm not sure how to account for this. The new tires are within .1 inches in diameter of the stock tires so I don't think it could be related to the circumference of the tire. If anything, I think the slightly larger Falken should make the speedometer read as slower than the actual speed because it would take fewer revolutions of the tire to go the same distance. This difference in speed was consistent for the whole trip and not just a fluke.

I bring this subject up because it also seemed like my odometer was off and showing fewer miles traveled between tanks. I started recording a "track" on Gaia GPS when I filled up and also reset my trip odometer. When I filled up next, my trip odometer read 241 whereas Gaia said 246. So, the computer is thinking I've traveled less distance for the amount of fuel I used. The dash said I averaged something like 16.6MPG but simple math of dividing the number of miles according to Gaia (246) by the number of gallons (14.452) = 17MPG.

I am definitely not happy with either 16.6 or 17 MPG. I knew I was going to take a hit with the AT's but nearly 25%?
It’s not just the tires that is depressing your MPG but also the average speed of 80mph. 80mph is going to lower your mpg regardless of tires. And in addition to that add driving style, ie lots of accelerations, etc.
Physics is still physics. On one hand people are viewing these cars in an “off road” lens (correctly so) , throwing huge and heavy tires, etc onto them and at the same time want to drive them and get the same efficiency numbers of an on road setup. Physics is still physics, the more work you give the engine to do the more fuel it will have to burn and the shorter time you give it to do the work (faster speed), the faster it will have to burn that fuel.

Combined city and highway driving in normal mode. Mine is LC with premium and has 20-inch rims

Attachments

• 20240809_052101.jpg
    20240809_052101.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 76

View attachment 7491

My Tahoe had the same issue. I am beginning to think Waze is off. MPG is definitely a struggle with even the stock 20s package.

Last edited:
Did a long road trip today and worked some things out. Between 35-70 with constant motion I was in the high 20’s. 70-75 right around 21. Over 75 mph drops down to high teens.

To be clear, that’s in a first edition with the roof rack and stock wheels and tires, premium fuel. I averaged about 20.5 mpg from Austin to Houston and back.

Last edited:

I have a first edition LC on the Michellin ltx. I only use eco in city and never highway. I get up to 26 mpg going to work in traffic in so cal going up to 65. After 65 significant drop off. I usually cruise at 80 and I’m at 19 mpg.

I was averaging around 17 mpg on a FE. I was at the point I felt something was wrong with the vehicle. Not because I was getting 17 mpg , but because I could not understand why Toyota would put a fuel tank on the vehicle that would only have a 250 mile range. I though it was either a mechanical issue or engining issue.
I was driving on flat roads and very conservatively. On highway and city it did not matter. After reading through these posts I changed two things. I took the A/C off Auto and added the Max in the screen. Yesterday I took two drives for around 30 miles each. The first drive I averaged 18.8 the second drive I averaged 19.4. I realized after looking at the Max screen that I was never getting the hybrid to kick in. Thanks to everyone that added to this thread it helped me figure out my concerns with fuel milage. I think I will be able to continue to increase the gas milage even more.

It would be awesome if there would be a way to just use the electric while crusing at a low speed. I sometimes can do it up to about 10mpb before the motor kicks on.

Back