Teebo

πŸ“› Founding Member
πŸ† LC of the Month
Mar 16, 2024
Media
Olympia, WA
Vehicles
2024 LC250 FE
I just did the first oil and filter change after break-in @ 1,000 miles. It is one of the easiest to change. Everything is easy to access. The skid plate has 6 12mm bolts. 2 of the boltholes are key holes so you just loosen them and it will hold the weight for removal/install.
Once you have the skid plate off everything is easily accessed.
Bonus. The threads on the oil container thread into the oil filler. You just cut the first one's bottom off and you have a funnel.

IMG_9428.jpeg
IMG_9431.jpeg
IMG_9443.jpeg
IMG_9440.jpeg

Thanks so much, I've been waiting for the first person to report an oil change! Please humor a few questions:
-So where is the filter?
-How did the oil look after the first 1000?

I looked up your part number and it shows a good 'ol canister style filter! Thank god, no more fiddling with the drain and tinker of my Tacoma filter.

It looks like it takes 5.9 or right at 6 quarts with a filter change so my favorite 6 Qt Smart Change box/bag from Walmart - 0W-20 Havoline synthetic for $24 should be the ticket! Can't wait to get this cruiser and start putting miles on it! I change my Tacoma every 5K which comes around 3-4 times a year so this will be the same.

Last edited:
They went back to the metal canisters on this one. It's right in front with nothing around it and it even has a drain spout so it's not messy. The oil looked great. A little darker than new but you could see through it still as it was draining.
IMG_9430.jpeg

I didn't measure the thickness but the skid plate is stout.
View attachment 2474
Is the skid plate two separate pieces - one piece β€œfront” which you removed here, and one in the middle covering transmission/transfer case? And are all the pieces the same material/thickness?

Is the skid plate two separate pieces - one piece β€œfront” which you removed here, and one in the middle covering transmission/transfer case? And are all the pieces the same material/thickness?
Yes, there is a second piece that continues on. The front overlaps the second so you can remove it alone. It's all the same material/thickness.

thanks for sharing.

On another note. Since you’ve familiarized yourself with the undercarriage - how complex would you say installing a lift kit would be?

thanks for sharing.

On another note. Since you’ve familiarized yourself with the undercarriage - how complex would you say installing a lift kit would be?
my other land cruiser was an fj80 with solid front and rear axles. I have no experience with the independent front suspension. The rear wouldn't be hard when someone makes the kit with the proper spring/shock. I have no idea with the front. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too bad either as someone would make a kit and you would just have to replace the proper components.

The filter I pulled off was 90915-10009. The filter that Toyota service dept gave me and I put on is 90915-YZZN1. They looked identical and fit so I think they are interchangeable. There seem to be a few oil filters out there that are exactly the same with different part numbers.

Pretty funny that my teen's 2012 Prius C and my new Land Cruiser will use the same oil filter!

It appears the 10009 filter may be a factory build (1st filter) and the YZZN1 is the parts counter replacement filter.

It appears the 10009 filter may be a factory build (1st filter) and the YZZN1 is the parts counter replacement filter.
That would make sense. That's exactly what order it was on mine.

Very helpful, these photos and information about the oil change. Even at age 67, I think I could roll mine up on the ramps and get her done!! Guessing the ground clearance isn’t sufficient to do the oil change without ramps?!! Again, thanks for your generosity in sharing these photos. Dr. M

Very helpful, these photos and information about the oil change. Even at age 67, I think I could roll mine up on the ramps and get her done!! Guessing the ground clearance isn’t sufficient to do the oil change without ramps?!! Again, thanks for your generosity in sharing these photos. Dr. M
Like Teebo, I also changed my oil this past weekend and that's exactly what I did. The 4-LO setting made it particulary fun and easy to drive up on the ramps.

I have ramps so I used them. I'm sure you could do it without but it makes it easier. Plus I can use my speed handle on the skid plate bolts.

Back