🏆 LC of the Month
Mar 16, 2024
Media
Olympia, WA
Vehicles
2024 LC250 FE
Interesting line in the manual.
“Tire chains cannot be mounted on vehicles with 265/70R18 and 265/60R20 tires.”
I guess you need to add a small lift to use them with the stock tire size.

I'm guessing it's just close enough that they don't want to accept the risk so they say no. I plan on getting chains though. A lot of places around me require you to carry chains. If I end up having to use them I'd just be extra slow and steady.

Very cool chains but they are expensive. Is one set enough for snow and ice?

Last edited:
Very cool chains but they are expensive. Is one set enough for snow and ice?
You would only want them on the rear tires. We spend the winters in Colorado where we get big dumps of snow. Chains are rarely Needed, but, sometimes Required, depending on the road you are traveling.

Reactions: Don
i heard there are snow socks that fulfill the criteria for snow tire requirement. or maybe have snow tires in a smaller size 245/70R18 like the 1958.

i heard there are snow socks that fulfill the criteria for snow tire requirement. or maybe have snow tires in a smaller size 245/70R18 like the 1958.
Yeah they fulfill the requirement in all the mountain passes I drove through. The main issue with these types of fabric based chains however is that they fall apart easily, and generally only last for few winters if used regularly.

Yeah they fulfill the requirement in all the mountain passes I drove through. The main issue with these types of fabric based chains however is that they fall apart easily, and generally only last for few winters if used regularly.

Thanks for the link. Yes, i saw several reviews (hopefully real ones) where they where quite good. If you rarely ever need them then they are a way cheaper alternative. In most cases when I was visiting in CO and snow chains were required we had no issue driving and never really needed to put them on as long as you have good tires and 4wd. If you live in CO or similar places and need to drive around then the situation is of course different and real chains maybe better and cheaper in the long run.
But most SUV's nowadays do not allow snow chains as they can get loose and flop around and damage breaklines.

But most SUV's nowadays do not allow snow chains as they can get loose and flop around and damage breaklines.
Most new vehicles of any sort say you can't use chains. I suppose that's why, so they don't have to cover the damage under the warranty? In the Sierras in the winter we have to carry chains of some sort, but driving three peak tires and 4WD/AWD vehicles, they've always just waved me through and said I was good.

Back