New owner and 400-mile trip back home

Carli233

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
May 18, 2024
new york
Hi Folks,
Been on the forum for a while now. Just picked up a new 1958 this past weekend. Did a 400-mile trip from the dealership to home.
Here are a few impressions:
  • MPG: Averaged around 25 MPG this whole trip back. From my simple math, I think I'm getting around 360 miles from one tank. Filled up with 93 Octane towards the end (that was very expensive), and honestly felt that the engine ran smoother. I'm not sure which gas the dealer put into the tank (they said premium), but overall very satisfied with the mileage.
  • Missing key fob: Picked up with only one key fob. Dealer stated the chip shortage still affects smart keys and will get a letter from corporate when the second one becomes available. Is anyone in the same boat as me? After a quick search on the grand highlander forum I saw some people waited 11 months for the second key fob.
  • Ride quality: Very nice. Wind noise is very noticeable but not much road noise.
Gonna try to take the car off-road soon. Really enjoyed the car and very satisfied with the purchase.

I keep thinking the alleged "chip shortage" may not be the key fob bottleneck. A couple of years ago, yes, but now? Come on Toyota, ramp up production!

I think you would be getting 450 miles from one tank with 25 mpg (18x25). I got two key with mine, so it may be a new thing with Toyota (or dealer lost one of the keys :)). Did they give you a written notice about the second key?

No written notice :( probably gonna ask the salesperson this week. Itโ€™s a bummer but not a deal breaker. Hopefully they get the production together soon.

Back